Brachialgia: causes and symptoms of pain syndrome treatment, the localization
Brachialgia complex pain symptoms of the upper extremities and neck
Brachialgia (brachialgia) in Greek language that refers to pain in the shoulder area. Pain in the upper limbs arise for many reasons, so it is very difficult to determine the true source of the disease.
The main feature brachialgia syndrome is that it is almost inseparable from pain in the shoulder and neck.
Characterized by pain, weakness, numbness of the upper extremities, inflammation, hand and neck.
Details about the syndrome
Brachialgia is a process that is localized in any part of the musculoskeletal system of the body. From the spinal cord to parts of the extremities.
Cervical-brachial localization the most common. The entire body is an integrated system, disturbance in one part leads to failures in another. Especially when it comes to the spine.
The second feature of the disease is a sensory violation. Problems arise when you try to lift your arm up, to the side, to move my fingers.
In the international classification of disease ICD-10 a special section devoted to the disease there. Refers to the class XIII M00-M99 «Diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue».
The main reasons for the development
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Patients with brachialgia combines occupation.
This can be a computer, a constant movement of any items, weight lifting, written assignments. That is, everything associated with prolonged tension of the neck in a certain position.
Syndrome characterized by a variety of etiological factors.
Common causes of the disease are disorders of the spine and traumatic injury.
In practice, it is difficult to establish the cause and relationship between symptoms and lesion appearance.
For example, in brachial syndrome is the result of a cervical radiculopathy, which arose as a result of damage to the motion segments of the vertebrae
The complex of signs
The symptoms of the disease are complex. The most striking symptoms of brachialgia are:
- The presence of pain. It can be burning pain, aching, bursting and combined with other sensitive disorders.
- Vegetative-trophic disorders. Observed discoloration, pigmentation, cyanosis, edema, osteoporosis, increased sweating. Is a disruption the growth of hair and nails.
- Violation of motor skills. Moving the upper limbs becomes problematic, especially when you need to raise them up.
So, obvious symptoms of brachialgia is the presence of pain of different origin, tingling and numbness of the limbs, impaired sensitivity and motility. Mostly patients complain about the presence of weakness and pain in the shoulders, forearm, neck and wrist.
Pain worsens during physical activity and decrease while in a calm state. At night there are attacks of pain which leads to sleep disturbance. As a result, starts to hurt the head.
Diagnosis of the disease
The term «brachial syndrome» different doctors include in their meaning.
Some prefer to refer to it inflammation and pain in the cervical nerve root, which cannot be diagnosed.
Other associated with the syndrome of thoracic outlet which can detect quite easily.
In the course of the disease can be traced a definite pattern:
- In the acute stage of the disease. There is a strong, sharp pain with different sensory disorders.
- Dystrophic stage. Have autonomic and trophic disorders. Appears cyanotic shade, improves muscle tone, body temperature rises at the extremities, tendon reflexes quicken, developing joint damage and impaired motor activity.
- Atrophic or late stage. In this period of marked abatement of the symptoms of the disease. Reduced skin temperature of limbs, the color becomes pale, impaired growth of nails and hair, there is osteoporosis.
Each stage of the disease can last for several months. The lack of appropriate treatment leads to disability.
Before starting treatment of brachialgia, must be held accurate diagnosis of the disease, which includes:
- thorough examination of the neck, shoulder, upper arm, revealed or eliminating the damage;
- x-ray of the neck, and from different angles;
- consultation with a neurologist;
- angiography or venography, such research is conducted to exclude vascular injury.
On radiographic images to determine the possible causes of the symptoms. A back injury is a long – standing and recently acquired, assessed by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT).
In the same way identified pathology of the spine. Electromyography (EMG) will help to establish damage to the nerves. Vascular damage and thrombosis are detected using venography and angiography.
At the General survey neck and hands look quite normal. Present pain when touched. Severe neck tension and restriction in movement.
Noticed bad posture with the head tilt forward, drooping shoulders and a rounded spine. The symptoms are much worse when raising the arms up.
Treatment is based on identified factors. Pain symptoms removed anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs. The conservative treatment is the main goal.
Apply several methods:
- TENS – transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation;
- treatment warm;
- the use of ultrasound;
- eliminating the painful symptoms of behavioral and cognitive methods;
- tissue massage.
The following methods aimed at improving physical activity:
- exercise for neck and hands;
- exercises to stretch the neck and shoulder area;
- controlling posture during the day.
Treatment of concomitant diseases
Brachialgia can cause the following diseases:
- cervical osteochondrosis;
- cervical spondylosis;
- epidural abscess;
- neuralgia of the occipital nerve;
- herniated discs;
- neoplastic lesions;
- myofascial pain;
- fracture and dislocation in the area of the cervical spine;
- thrombosis or separation of the spinal artery.
This is not a complete list of diseases based on this and the treatment brachialgia selected purely individual.
At home, you can treat the diseases that are diagnosed for sure, as well as chronic, which are aggravated from time to time.
Brachialgia – causal disease that occurs not in one day. A variety of causes of symptoms complicate the diagnosis process.
Treatment is comprehensive and aimed at reducing pain and improving physical activity.
Sometimes the cause of the disease is a long-standing spinal injury. You need to watch your body react to painful symptoms and time to begin treatment.
Thus, it is possible to prevent not only brachialgia, but many other diseases.