Dorsopathies of the cervical spine — symptoms and treatment
What is dorsopathies of the cervical spine
In Latin language the term dorsopathy means disease of the spine and the back.
In a broad sense, dorsopathy of the cervical spine is any disease of the spine, accompanied by pain syndrome and leads to the development of neurological disease due to compression of spinal nerves and sometimes the spinal cord.
In other words, spondylosis, osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia, spondylosis, vertebral fractures or scoliosis – any of these pathologies can be called dorsopathy.
The main causes of disease and risk factors
The most common causes of disease are:
- infection, mechanical trauma, metabolic disorders;
- adverse environmental impact;
- abrupt change in physical activity;
- excessive strain on the back;
- improper diet;
- work in the uncomfortable position of the body;
- the metabolic disorders;
- bad habits and overweight;
- viral infection;
- predisposition to disease or heredity.
Due to their mobility, the anatomical features and the large load, the cervical spine is the most vulnerable part of the spine.
Types of pain dorsopathies at this location
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Pain, reaching its greatest intensity, can be characterized as excruciating or stabbing pain.
In the early stages with dorsopathies cervical spine cause of pain is irritation of the vertebral nerve. Pain is usually aggravated by even slight movements of the head and weaken the rest.
The result of the progression of the disease, the role sinuvertebral nerve decreases, and the compression of spinal nerves, on the contrary increases. Such pain is usually characterized by lower intensity and scattered along the nerve endings, that is experienced in the shoulder, arm, and shoulder joint.
That is, you should understand that dorsopathy in the early stages can manifest in the form of very severe pain, and at the stage of deeper lesions of the cervical – dull, moderate pain.
Thus, the intensity of pain is not considered the main criterion to assess the degree of the pathological process.
The symptoms and signs of disease
Dorsopathy cervical has a variety of symptoms and can differ depending on the locations and causes of the disease:
- During a whiplash – headaches, weakness, dizziness, fainting, numbness of fingers, changes in blood pressure, pain in region of heart.
- Pain going into shoulder blade, upper back, muscle tension in the shoulder and neck region. The pain usually increases with sudden movement, greater physical exertion, even when coughing and sneezing. In this case the person is significantly limited in motion.
- Spasms in muscles, especially after sudden movements with high amplitude (a sharp turn of the head upwards or backwards).
- Feeling of weakness of the muscles of the upper limbs. Sometimes manifested and the reverse reaction is a constant painful tension.
- Feel in the hands and shoulder girdle neurological changes – the feeling of «frost», «chills», or Vice versa – lowering the sensitivity of the brush, a disorder of the fingers, the heat in the skin, decrease of the reflex functions.
- Through the cervical canal is a major artery that feeds the brain.
- Dorsopathies pathology, which is accompanied by severe headaches, fainting, dizziness, blurred vision, tinnitus.
Diagnosis of the disease
The diagnosis is made on the basis of:
- complaints of the patient;
- palpation of the spine or visual inspection with the definition of the security zones, bulging, or sunken than the vertebrae;
- the state of the muscular tissue;
- magnetic resonance or computed tomography.
Limitation of movement, numbness, change in reflexes help to identify pathological processes in the cervical vertebrae or lose some of the nerve roots, and to assign appropriate treatment.
Perhaps the greatest value in the diagnosis of the disease is x-ray examination.
ECG data, duration of pain, history of the disease, the ineffectiveness of medications, a characteristic position of the head – allow you to exclude heart attacks.
In certain cases, the possible combinations of heart disease and neurological symptoms.
Basic methods of treatment
Treatment in the first place, should be comprehensive.
The patient is prescribed nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, neurotropic drugs, analgesics, vitamins and chondroprotectors. During the acute disorders, it is advisable to use novocaine blockade.
Most doctors prescribe the following therapeutic procedures:
- diadynamic current;
- electrophoresis with novocaine;
Another effective method of treatment is the cervical traction. As a result, there is decompression of the spine nerves, decrease swelling, increase in diameter of the intervertebral foramen. The duration of the procedure depends on the doctor’s recommendations.
Contraindication for this method of treatment dorsopathy cervical spine is a symptom of spinal compression with complications – lesion of the spinal cord, thrombosis of the artery, bleeding in the brain. When blood circulation we recommend wearing a neck corset.
In the treatment of diseases in children using the following practices:
- a range of massages.
Treatment of acute and chronic forms of the disease
Usually people turn to doctors for help in the acute form of the disease. In such a situation, treatment will be aimed at reduction of pain syndrome that interferes with normal life.
To relieve the acute pain used different preparations of intramuscular, oral and rectal applications:
- anti-inflammatory drugs;
- muscle relaxants and vitamins.
After removal of acute pain, the patient can be assigned a special complex of non-pharmacological treatments:
- Physical therapy improves the metabolism in tissues, improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation.
- Massages, which are carried out only by well trained specialists.
- Manual therapy relieves muscle tension, restores the movements of the intervertebral joints.
- Acupuncture, which improves the conductivity of nerve tissue.
- Physiotherapy and exercises with dorsopathies cervical spine are a crucial component in the treatment process, is carried out under the supervision of a specialist. This also includes the complex of water procedures.
- Traction – stretching of the cervical spine.
Mandatory the patient needs to follow a certain diet, controlled exercise, lifestyle change to a more movable.
Sometimes in severe forms of chronic dorsopathy, applied surgical treatment.
Prevention of the disease
In order to avoid manifestations of the disease or to delay its occurrence, you need to adhere to a set of easily implementable and well-known rules:
- Daily physical activity. If you have a sedentary job – perform regular basic exercise for neck and back. It is also useful swimming, reduces the load on your back muscles and spine, or hovering on the bar.
- Full, regular and rich in vitamins food.
- Keep track of your weight. Extra weight — extra load on the spine.
- When performing work or weight lifting exercise reasonable care.
- Always dress for the weather, avoid hypothermia of the neck.
- Quitting bad habits will significantly reduce the risk of disease.
Remember that the lack of proper and timely treatment can lead to damage to the nervous system. To dorsopathies of the cervical spine not be treated with a degree of neglect.
Observance of the basic rules of prevention, timely access to a neurologist or spine at the first appearance of pain in the cervical spine will help to avoid irreversible complications, making impossible a normal life.
Observe the correct mode of the day, eat properly, avoid metabolic disturbances, and you’ll never know about this disease!
Video: Special package for the cervical spine
Special therapeutic exercise for the cervical spine Dr. butrimov. Especially useful in osteochondrosis.