Fracture of the radial bone of the arm: symptoms, treatment and recovery
The treatment of COLLES fracture and rehabilitation exercises
Injuries of the forearm are the most frequent injuries. The forearm consists of the ulna and radius. At the top they are directed to the elbow, below – on the wrist. The ulna is coming to the little finger, and radial to the thumb.
Fracture of beam arms is a consequence of a fall on an outstretched hand.
Injuries associated with distal radius fracture:
- fracture of the ulna;
- located near the dislocation of the bones;
- the torn ligaments.
These injuries account for a quarter of the total number of fractures of the hands and 90% of fractures of the forearm. In women, fractures of the radius in a «typical location» found in 2 times more often than men. The reason for this lower bone density of the female body.
Most often fractures of the beam in the «typical location» are found in women of menopausal age and children up to 10 years.
Possible causes of fractures
Among the most frequent causes of fractures of the radial bone of the arm there are the following:
- falling on an outstretched hand;
- osteoporosis – increased fragility of bones, especially when loads and shocks typical for people 60 years of age;
- car accident;
- falling off a bike;
- injury on the job, etc.
The fracture of a radial bone in a typical place — the most common fracture of the upper limb.
This is due to the anatomical structure of the bone in some places, more subtle. Accordingly, in these places and it is easily broken.
Damage is 2 types:
- The broken Wheel — otlook radius is shifted to the rear side of the forearm. It bears the name of the surgeon who first described this type of fracture. This fracture is also called extensor.
- Smith’s fracture — fracture of the opposite Wheel. The shift occurs in the direction of the palm. For the first time a similar case was described by the doctor in 1847. It is called flexion.
Other types of damage beam
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Among other types of fractures are distinguished:
- intra-articular — fracture line spans the wrist joint;
- extra-articular — covers the joint area;
- outdoor is accompanied by skin damage;
- closed fracture of the radial bone;
- fracture of the radial bone;
- comminuted – a bone broken into 3 or more parts;
- primary open — damage of the skin occurs outside the bone;
- secondary compound – the skin damage from the inside.
An open fracture require immediate medical intervention because of the risk of infection and prevention of complications during the period of fusion cosla .
The classification of fractures is important due to the fact that the type of fracture depends on the method of its treatment.
What happens when you fracture
Symptoms of a COLLES fracture:
- pain in the joint, which are aggravated by arm movement;
- kavanot movements;
- bleeding in the joint;
- a swelling in the shoulder joint.
Such fractures are clinically mild, so the formulation of the final diagnosis is made after studying the x-ray. In addition, you need to consider, does the fracture of a beam with a fracture of the ulna or dislocation.
Types of diagnostics
The main methods of diagnosis include:
- Conventional radiography in 2 projections is the most popular and affordable method of diagnosis of fractures.
- CT – current with intraarticular fracture to assess the alignment of the articular surface. In the period after the operation, gives accurate data on bone fusion.
- Magnetic resonance imaging is used for diagnosis of complex fractures, combinations of several fractures.
Treatment and first aid
Treatment for fracture of the radius should start with first aid. Timely first aid — the key to overall success in the treatment.
First aid for fracture
Professional first aid and urgent treatment to the doctor – the basis of competent treatment and the prerequisite for the recovery of all functions of the hand.
In a closed fracture you need to immobilize the injured limb with solid tires or other improvised means. The tire is imposed from mid-shoulder to the base of the fingers.
The arm is bent at a right angle and placed in a scarf wrapped around their neck. To reduce pain is possible by means of the injection of dipyrone or application of ice to the injured area.
With an open fracture it is necessary to stop the bleeding, disinfect the wound and apply a clean bandage. To prevent loss of blood in arterial bleeding, you need to put pressure on the middle of your shoulder. Fixing bandage is the same as in a closed fracture. The ice helps to reduce swelling. Next, the patient need to be hospitalized.
In order to properly treat a fracture, you need to first assess the nature of the damage, and only then choose the method.
The main goal of fracture treatment is to return the injured limb, and, consequently, of the person to their previous level of functioning.
There are many treatment options.
The beam fractures without displacement are fixed with plaster or polymer bandage. If a fracture of the radius with displacement, the bone pieces put in the correct position and fix to the ribs.
Time has not treated threatens the development of osteoarthritis of the joint and loss of mobility of the hands.
The limb can be fixed within 4-5 weeks.
Then the doctor writes a referral for physical therapy after fracture of the radius joint is necessary rehabilitation.
Surgery for the fracture of the radius is applied in case of impossibility of properly maintaining the bone to seam with plaster. In this case, the doctors commit the spokes through the skin or surgery recruta reposition and fixation of needles through the skin — the most popular method of international medicine.
First, the doctor closed eliminates the offset, then using fragments in certain directions are inserted spokes.
- the risk of infection of the wound and infection is fracture due to the presence of spokes over the skin;
- prolonged wearing of a plaster cast;
- the risk of lack of motion in the joint due to the late start of development.
An open fracture reduction
Incision is made, the muscles and tendons recede, and carried out the reduction of the bone fragments in the correct position. The bones are fixed with metal plates.
In this case, the wearing of a cast is not needed, because the bones are in the correct position due to the plates.
External fixation devices
Shown to wear with contraindications to the use of plates and screws. With all open fractures to operate on the patient as soon as possible, thoroughly disinfect the tissue around the fracture. The wound suture and secure the device for 4-6 weeks.
- devices expensive;
- the risk of infection because of the rods over the skin;
- uncomfortable dressings and treatment of wounds;
- the risk of lack of dynamics in the articular joint.
Recovery after fracture
Types of fractures of the radius are as different as their treatment, and rehabilitation after fracture of the radius selected for each patient their.
Arm fused 1.5 – 2 months.
For the first time after fracture for pain and swelling use UHF and ultrasound. Also, after the distal radius fracture is a useful exercise to restore blood flow and prevent muscle wasting.
If the patient is operated on with the use of the plate, then the doctor will prescribe exercise therapy joint 7 days after surgery.
At the end of the period, splicing appointed by such recovery procedures:
After recovery useful warm coniferous, coniferous-salt bath.
It all depends on the patient. How he struggled hard for the restoration of the paretic limb.
When non-surgical treatment using overlay of plaster or polymer bandage may need to monitor the brush. Looking to see if edema, not pale fingers whether whether sensitivity.
If the plaster is too tight, it is a sign that compressed the soft tissue and nerves, which can lead to irreversible consequences. Upon detection of such feelings is an urgent need to see a specialist.
The basis of prevention of the fracture of the beam of the upper limb is:
- order to avoid various types of injuries;
- falls from height that could lead to this kind of damage;
- treatment and prevention of osteoporosis.