How to cure spondylosis of the lumbar sacral spine
Spondylosis of the lumbar spine: prevention and treatment
Spin is an integral part of all our daily movements. A minor disruption in this mechanism leads to the appearance of unwanted symptoms. Such disease as spondylosis of the lumbar spine is no exception and is a chronic process in the intervertebral joints.
Lumbar spondylosis can be described as a destructive process in which the growth of bone tissue occurs in the form of osteophytes (spikes). They, in turn, narrows the intervertebral slit, causing compression of the spinal nerves and loss of flexibility of the spine.
The causes of pathology
Degenerative changes of the vertebrae, and bone-joint system as a whole, account for forty years of age and older. However, not all people are susceptible to this disease. There are certain factors that trigger this pathology.
- Prolonged static load on the spine — to treat it: sitting at a work Desk for a long time without changing the position or reading books in a permanent position. While this is a strong pressure on specific vertebrae, which in turn react to this factor, causing an increase of its area. Over time, this response can become pathological, causing begin to form bony prominences.
- Violation of the metabolism — resulting in excess calcium salts are deposited in the articular slits, causing the formation of osteophytes, because calcium stimulates bone growth.
- Trauma or microtrauma of the spine — the regeneration of damaged structures may go in a pathological direction, the result is excessive bone mass.
- Curvature of the spine — poor distribution of gravity contributes to deformation of the vertebrae and muscle tension, resulting in the start of reparative processes and are formed spikes.
- Sedentary lifestyle — in which there is atrophy of the muscular-ligamentous apparatus and observed degenerative processes in the joints.
The symptoms of spondylosis
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The first stage of the disease can not be, however, with the progression and increase of osteophytes symptoms useful for the diagnosis of:
- stiffness of the lumbar — as noted earlier, the spikes decrease of the intervertebral distance, resulting in deteriorating the flexibility of the back;
- pain can be acute, when the infringement of the spinal nerve and chronic (i.e. permanent). The main diagnostic symptom of spondylosis is pain reduction when tilting the entire body forward or lying on side, curled up. The reason is that there is a decompression of the spinal nerves;
- about limp — appears due to the defeat of sacral nerve, but foot pain does not disappear at rest, which helps to differentiate with obliterating endarteritis of the vessels;
- loss of sensation of the skin at the site of nerve lesions;
- during the examination of a neurologist, the patient feels pain on palpation of the spinous processes, at the site of compression of the spinal nerves;
- tingling of lower extremities, inability to straighten the knee are signs already last stage.
How to treat the disease?
When placing a diagnosis of «spondylosis of the lumbar sacral spine» treatment should consist of several components, namely:
You first need to get rid of pain and to calm the inflammation of the affected nerve roots. Today, in the first place are non — steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Their main positive feature is to relieve pain, reduce swelling and eliminate inflammation.
For the best effect of treatment can also take chondroprotectors (restore cartilage, but it is effective only at the initial stages of the disease) and medications to improve the blood flow (e.g., pentoxifylline).
It is impossible to cure the patient’s spine only medicines, required the restoration of mobility of joints and strengthening of muscles and improving the condition of the cartilage, and normalize the blood circulation and reduce compression on the nerves. These methods include:
- Manual therapy should be gentle, and be performed only by an experienced technician. Thanks to the manipulation of hands on specific areas of the back relaxes tense muscles and eliminate aching pain.
- Reflexology — during the impact on the acupuncture points there is a redistribution of pain impulses, resulting in reduced back pain.
- Physical therapy aims to relieve pain, normalize blood circulation and eliminate edema of the nerve, which exacerbates the situation. The methods of this treatment include:
- Electrophoresis using the electrical current delivered drugs to the affected area.
- Magnetic therapy through the action of the AC or DC magnetic fields decrease swelling and eliminate pain.
- Alternating current — eliminates muscle spasms.
- Phonophoresis — the mechanical action of ultrasonic vibrations allows to eliminate inflammation and dissolve scar changes, giving the joints flexibility and elasticity. These methods have a plus in that you can directly influence the pathologic nidus, bypassing healthy tissue.
- Massage — this method of treatment improves blood circulation in the tissues of the back, resulting eliminates muscle blocks, which were formed due to prolonged compression of spinal nerves.
- Spa treatment — any person requires healing of the body, so people with back pain is no exception. Troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem (and are usually) allows to restore the former physical activity.
- Therapeutic exercises — helps to increase mobility in the spine, the normalization of tonus of the back and the creation of so-called «muscle». Exercises are selected individually depending on the muscles that need attention, the General endurance of the patient and stage of the disease.
- Alternative methods — they can use as an additional procedure, but you should never elevate them to the primary treatment. All sorts of compresses, rubbing special fluids or rewarming of the patient can both help and exacerbate the condition, therefore, before this treatment, please consult your physician.
All helper methods are assigned in the absence of pain syndrome!
Exercises to strengthen back muscles
To prevent disease progression should strengthen your spine and to strengthen the muscle corset. Such exercises that will help you include:
- The deflection of the back. Lie on your stomach, stretch your arms forward, and now simultaneously lift arms and legs in a straight position. Hold for a few seconds, then fall and repeat again 10 times.
- Get on all fours. Now alternately raise both the right arm and left leg, then left arm and right leg. Repeat 20 times.
- Remain standing in the same position. Now lift your knees off the floor and raise your ass up. Repeat 10 times.
Video: the complex of effective exercises for lumbar
Do not run the state. The treatment of spondylosis of the lumbar spine occur is much more difficult than the preventative measures for their prevention.
How to stop the development or progression of the spondylosis:
- Normalization of body weight.
- Every day physical exercise.
- To unload the spine (during work or awkward postures to carry out preventive exercises).
- Eat right for your metabolism.
- Wear a corset if spondylosis is already available, especially in the elderly.