Inflammation of the knee joint: treatment, first aid and symptoms
Treatment of inflammation of the knee joint, depending on the precipitating illness
Inflammation of the knee joint nowadays quite a common and distressing condition. The cause is severe daily life, in which people hardly pay attention to their health.
However, with the appearance of the first symptoms it is better to consult a specialist, if ignored can later develop chronic diseases that are accompanied by stiffness and pain with every movement.
Most often, the inflammatory process is localized in the center of the knee joint. The causes of the pathological process of this kind can lead:
- Bruises and injuries are quite serious pathologies that are treated quite differently than different kinds of dislocations and fractures. Inflammation can occur in the case of a previously received injuries which did not fully recover;
- Systemic diseases – rheumatism, psoriasis, gout. Disease that destroys the connective tissue, capable of harm and knee joints;
- Infections in diseases of other organs pathogens can get into the knee joint through a damaged capsule, or rush of blood. Purulent infection from other infected foci via lymph blood. The cause of the infection may be even sexually transmitted diseases.
Inflamed knee joints may due to currents in the body an allergic process, as well as in strong hypothermia, and even insect bites.
The inflammation that develops in the knee, which disrupts the normal rhythm of life, movement and work become impossible. However, the inflammatory process may occur implicitly, without having a clear clinical picture
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Inflammation of the knee joint are accompanied by a number of characteristic symptoms:
- pain in knee when walking stairs, prolonged standing;
- the soreness of the calves (especially at night);
- swelling of the knee;
- sharp pain with crunching in the knee when it is bent;
- the inability to fully straighten the knee of the leg.
In case of even one of these symptoms should immediately consult a doctor.
If you leave the development of inflammation without attention – it will lead to unpleasant consequences:
- First, is likely to increase pain, decrease mobility of the knee joint.
- Secondly, there would be deformity of the joint. As a result people will move to the «bent» which will cause curvature of the feet bones. In this case, surgical intervention can not be avoided.
On the background of inflammation is manifested dysfunction of the knee joint, reduced range of motion. Man tries to protect his injured leg from excessive loads that cause pain.
The swelling sometimes causes shortness of flexion and extension of leg at the knee. On this basis, the inflammatory process of the knee, revealed without difficulty, so the diagnosis accordingly, great difficulty is.
But the decision to final diagnosis and treatment, it is necessary to conduct additional research methods. Their main purpose is to define the anatomical lesions of the knee and the nature of the pathology.
Additional methods for diagnosis are the following studies:
- PCR – diagnostics of infections;
- blood test (total);
- an x-ray.
These measures allow us to accurately determine the cause of knee joint inflammation, and also prescribe the right treatment.
How is first aid?
In the event of disease, you need to know what action can be taken before you visit a specialist to alleviate the condition. For this you need to remember several principles of first aid:
- providing joint rest;
- applying to the affected area cold;
- immobilization and application of a pressure bandage;
- elevated position the patient feet.
The damaged knee should be in a position that will provide him the maximum property. This will prevent strain on the joint.
Fixation of the joint can be made using a sling — a piece or an elastic bandage. The compress will reduce the symptoms of the inflammatory process and prevent complications.
Inflammation in the first hours will help to remove the hot water bottle filled with ice or cold lotions. To reduce the pain accepts analgesic or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
The treatment of the inflammatory process depending on the pathology
The goal of treatment you have restore function of the knee joint, reduce inflammation and pain.
In each case this is achieved through certain procedures and drugs that are prescribed depending on diseases which cause inflammation of the knee joint.
The treatment of each of them take a closer look.
Trauma or injury
Severe pain in knee prescribe painkillers:
To relieve inflammation used:
- Collagen Ultra (gel);
- Troxevasin (ointment);
To cope with the swelling will help the poultice of clay.
Restoration of motor activity produced using the following procedures:
- massages with the use of gels and ointments herbal;
- compresses of herbal infusions (hops, eucalyptus, fir, cinquefoil, juniper);
- trays of herbs;
- the use of vitamins and minerals.
If the treatment for inflammation of knee joint not appoint in time, there may be a bursitis of the knee joint is a type of arthritis in which there is inflammation of periarticular bags.
The important thing when treating bursitis is to remove the load from the knee joint and protect it from injury, and provide joint rest with cold compresses and pressure bandages.
Bursitis is non-infectious and infectious nature.
The disease is also known for its complications.
Treatment of noninfectious bursitis is carried out with the following medications:
- injection of corticosteroids – triamcinolone, methylprednisolone, diprospan, hydrocortisone – cropped acute pain;
- muscle relaxants – baclofen, diazepam – spasms of muscles and blood vessels;
- anti-inflammatory drugs – Bystronic, flaxen, phenylbutazone, flagelin, solpaflex, surgam, Ketoprofen, diclofenac, ibuprofen, relieve pain, swelling.
With the accumulation of large amounts of fluid in the Bursa is carried out «aspiration of synovial fluid».
For the treatment of infectious bursitis use:
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory remedies for relieving pain;
- antibiotics – penicillins, cephalosporins, macrolides.
In addition to drug therapy carried out a procedure to remove pus by the method of aspiration. For outdoor
treatment use ointment and cream with NSAID:
- Fastum gel;
Also make compresses with medical gall, and dimexide, and bandage using the cream «We», Vishnevsky ointment and «Capsomere».
Drug treatment involves taking:
- acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin);
- voltaren (anti-inflammatory).
When expressed pain in the joints prescribed hormonal preparations of corticosteroids, but this, in extreme cases, when other means fail to stop the pain.
Treatment is also carried out with the use of the cream «Collagen Ultra», and dietary supplements.
They have anti-inflammatory and analgesic action, stimulate lymphatic drainage in the affected joints, reducing swelling, improve circulation and help restore normal joint function, compensates for the deficiency of glucosamine – a substance that is needed to build cartilage.
The treatment of this type of arthritis also includes the following procedures:
Treatment of infectious arthritis you need to carry out immediately, after confirmation of the diagnosis to avoid serious complications.
With this form of the disease, the hospitalization of the patient just need.
Medication for inflammation of the knee joint includes antibiotics.
Choose drugs for intravenous or intramuscular injection, depending on the severity of the disease.
Those drugs include:
- Aminoglycosides (gentamicin);
- Cephalosporins (cefepime, Ceftriaxone);
- Of penicillins (Amoxiclav);
- Of macrolides (Sumamed).
As analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory drugs are used:
If the patient’s condition severe conduct detoxication therapy, in the development of sepsis or shock the patient transferred to the intensive care unit.
The disease occurs in people of any age.
Treatment of inflammation of the knee caused by arthritis are shown using different medicines:
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs — to reduce inflammation and blockade of prostaglandins, which activate the process of inflammation;
- corticosteroids — reduce inflammation and ease the pain;
- basic Antirheumatic funds directed to the treatment of diseases caused by arthritis.
Also to reduce pain and inflammation in conjunction with medication use physiotherapy – ultrasound, magnet therapy, paraffin. Arthritis cannot be cured completely, so the treatment should be carried out continuously.
The solution of a question than and how to treat inflammation of the knee joint lies exclusively in the competence of the doctor. Self-medication is fraught with serious consequences.
With a little stretch can be attributed to swelling in the knee joint, caused by insect bites. In this case, you should take the following standard measures:
- remove tip;
- to treat the wound using soap;
- apply ice;
- to take an antihistamine.
In which cases need surgery?
Surgery is indicated in critical situations when no other choice remains. This occurs when joint inflammation knee is started and the treatment does not bring the necessary relief, after the formation of adhesions in the synovial pouch of the knee joint.
Also surgery is necessary when:
- purulent coxite;
- injected into the joint cavity of a foreign body;
- during the operation and excised completely removed all the damaged tissue.
How to avoid inflammation?
To the question of how to treat inflammation of the knee joint in your life did not arise must adhere to the rules of prevention are to prevent the development of inflammatory processes in the knee joint, timely treatment of infectious and systemic diseases, bruises and sprains, as well as in preventing cold joints and insect bites.