Intercostal neuralgia — a modern approach to the treatment of symptoms
Intercostal neuralgia — a modern approach to the treatment, causes and symptoms
The term «neuralgia» is treated not only as peripheral nerve fibers, characterized by acute attacks of burning pain in the area of innervation. In medical practice, distinguish the neuralgia cranial, spinal, and femoral nerves.
Spinal intercostal neuralgia (thoracalgia) is a condition in which there is compression of the spine extending from the peripheral nerves in the chest.
Most often, this disease can occur in older people against the background of age-related changes. Meanwhile, the appearance of the characteristic pain may also have children with intensive formation of the skeleton.
In men, pain localized in the lower part of the ribs, while the women mainly in the region of the heart.
The main reasons and preconditions of development of the disease
The cause of persistent and intermittent (paroxysmal) pain is a thin intercostal nerve reflex compressed/sandwiched between the muscle fibers.
Accompanied by burning, numbness or tingling sharp pain spreading across the chest at the moment when the nerves in the area of the spinal column run impulses.
Prerequisites for the development of intercostal neuralgia include:
- high stress and hypothermia;
- injuries to the ribs, resulting from sudden physical overload;
- inflammatory diseases (including malignant type);
- pathological changes of the spine (e.g. osteochondrosis).
Despite some similarity of symptoms, the disease should be distinguished from neuritis, as in intercostal neuralgia do not occur inflammatory processes, are not impaired the sensitivity of the skin while maintaining muscle activity.
Increase of pain in the chest may be caused by excessive tonus of certain muscles of the shoulder, scapula or of the extensors of the back.
Symptoms and signs pain thoracalgia
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The main symptom of thoracalgia is a sharp pain in the intercostal space, which is easily detected by palpation. The pain is localized, usually to the right or left.
The patient is irritated, sneezing and coughing cause him acute pain.
Upon the occurrence of atrophic changes in the nerve root the pain goes away, gradually being replaced by a feeling of heaviness in the chest, which indicates the extent of the disease.
In addition, the patient reduces the fill volume of the lungs and appears shallow breathing.
In most cases, the occurrence of neuralgia is preceded by a short muscle spasm contributing to the immediate irritation of the nerve endings and the appearance of pronounced pain syndrome.
That includes the correct diagnosis of the disease?
Diagnosis of the disease starts with a simple neurological examination.
On the basis of the typical complaints from the patient’s neurologist produces a differential examination of the chest to detect (eliminate) diseases of the respiratory system.
Left-sided localization of pain indicates the need for examination of the heart using an ECG (electrocardiogram) to exclude pathologies (angina pectoris, ischemia).
In addition, a radiography of the thoracic spine.
As additional measures may need to be together, MRI, CT scan etc tests.
A modern approach to the treatment of thoracalgia intercostal (neuralgia)
According to statistics, methods of treatment of neuralgia depends on the nature of nerve injury and the degree of neglect of this disease.
No need to rely on traditional medicine because it is virtually powerless.
In this regard, treatment of intercostal neuralgia may last for months, especially if the disease started.
After the diagnosis and identify the causes of disease, the neurologist prescribes a comprehensive treatment.
If neuralgia is characterized by secondary symptoms, then its treatment should be carried out taking into account the underlying disease or the achievement of remission.
As the main methods of medical treatment of the patient are assigned:
- pain relievers local action (ointments);
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (in the form of tablets or injections);
- vitamin therapy – are assigned to b vitamins;
- antidepressants and relaxants.
Currently, techniques based on chemical and electrical effects on the structure of the nerve no longer apply.
In the case of the total absence of any result in the use of drugs, the neurologist may recommend surgery, whose goal is the removal of tissue, compression of the nerve process or the narrowing pervoprokhodtsy channel.
Folk healing practices of thoracalgia intercostal (neuralgia)
In non-traditional folk medicine there are many recipes that produce an analgesic effect.
Here are some of them:
- Recipe No. 1. Freshly squeezed radish juice RUB in circular motions into the skin in the area of squeezed nerve.
- Recipe №2. Brew 1-2 tablespoons of the flowers of immortelle sandy in 0.5 liters of boiling water. Strain the broth to drink in small doses.
- Recipe No. 3. To make a decoction of chamomile, taking 4 tablespoons of flowers in 1 Cup of hot water. Strain and drink 3 times a day, but always after eating.
- Recipe No. 4. Infuse 4 tablespoons of sage in a Cup of warm water for 1 hour pour, then strain. Pour the infusion into the bath (37 ° C) and add 4 tbsp of mineral-rich sea salt. To take therapeutic bath at night, the course of treatment is 10 procedures.
- Recipe №5. Prepare a decoction of peppermint with 1 tbsp of leaves per 200 ml of boiling water. Ingestion of 100 ml (in the morning on an empty stomach and at night).
- Recipe No. 6. ½ Tsp orange peel and ½ tsp of lemon balm mix and steamed in boiling water (200 ml), and then infuse for 30 minutes and strain. The course of treatment – during 1 month to take not less than 3 times a day third Cup, after adding 1 teaspoon of honey and tincture of Valerian.
Folk methods of treatment of intercostal neuralgia is not a «panacea» from all ills, this should be remembered and not to rely on it!
How to prevent the development of intercostal neuralgia?
As the prevention of intercostal neuralgia should be avoided hypothermia, and time to seek medical help in case of colds.
The most effective prevention of the disease are the following activities:
- acupuncture acupuncture – it is necessary to conduct 3 courses with a break of 2 months.
- manual therapy allows to restore the position of the cervical and thoracic vertebrae, which relieves pain in this region of the spine;
- therapeutic massage using a warming creams and ointments;
- «shiatsu» is a Japanese «pressure» massage, the object of which become associated with the affected area of the intercostal space of the active point;
- osteopathy is a method of anatomical reconstruction of the rib cage, which improves blood flow and lymph circulation, and so on.
- therapeutic physical training.
From the foregoing it follows that intercostal neuralgia is an insidious disease, often «disguised» under symptoms of other diseases.
Advanced forms of the disease will require a maximum of energy in the treatment process.
A few recommendations for people suffering from this disease.