Is it possible for arthritis to massage: techniques for the knee, fingers, shoulders
Health and medical massage for arthritis: techniques and features
Arthritis is an inflammatory process that affects a certain group of joints. In the General course of arthritis treatment – massage is an important component allowing to achieve a positive dynamics of the disease, cope with pain and stiffness in movements, swelling in the joint.
About permitted methods and proper techniques of massage for arthritis will be discussed next.
The purpose and benefit of massage
When the diagnosis of remission for arthritis doctors are allowed to practice massage, the purpose of which is:
- the elimination of pain and stiffness in the affected joint;
- the restoration of normal blood flow and lymph flow in the affected areas;
- prevention of atrophy of muscle fibers.
According to the doctors, the sooner will be prescribed a course of massage, the better for the patient, because it will make the treatment itself more effective and efficient.
With rehabilitation massage course is a minimum of 5 sessions, if the arthritis occurs in its chronic form, at least 15, duration of massaging each of the affected joints at least 15-20 minutes.
A course of massage helps to:
- to prevent atrophic processes in the muscles, providing supply of oxygen in muscle fiber;
- helps to reduce or completely remove the pain;
- stimulates the natural excretion of effusion of a biological fluid that has accumulated in the cavity of the affected joint;
- helps with stagnant processes and deposition in the joints of salt;
- improves circulation of blood flow, normalizing it, and allows you to speed up the metabolic process massaged on the affected area;
- restores and improves impaired disease joint flexibility.
Varieties and techniques of massage protivoavarijnaja
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
In the treatment of arthritis, the therapist may apply both segmental and acupressure therapeutic massage. When the segment type of massage the therapist is working on a certain segment of the patient’s body – elbow, Shin, hip or shoulder joint.
Acupressure is based in its effect on physiological processes – in this case the therapist is working on certain active points on the body. Exactly what is the impact on the nervous system and blood flow, improves the functioning of internal glands, eliminates pain and muscle spasm.
In addition, depending on what area of the body involved in the massage, it is conventionally divided into the following types:
- Partial or local kind of massage – in this case, the specialist massages the small in size area. Most often it is the back area and arms shoulder joint.
- Common form of massage in this case the specialist worked out the whole body, the whole surface of it. This type of massage can be performed every day or on a different schedule made by the attending physician.
Before proceeding to the massage – the attending doctor must diagnose the form of arthritis, its localization and extent of lesions, severity of the disease. The following techniques and technology:
- If the joint is fully or partially immobilized – the therapist uses techniques such as massage, stroking and rubbing, vibration. Each technique is recommended to be repeated at least 15-20 times, and then turning to the warm-up of the affected joint, the surrounding region.
- The mobility of the arthritic joint can be significantly improved through such a method as kneading by hand or pads of the fingers. Warm-up the muscle fibers can be carried out simply by shaking the limbs and then move to the massage.
- Targeted massage effects on the active points are valid, both in terms of the massage parlor and at home – in this form of massage involved in most your fingertips. The duration of each exposure – 10-15 sec. efficiently relieve pain and improve metabolic processes in the affected joint, restoring mobility.
Massaging the affected joints step by step
When the diagnosis of arthritis, the massage begins with a direct influence on hands, its back side – each reception masseur performs in an upwards direction, going from the tip of each finger to the wrist.
At the beginning of the exposure to all the techniques of massage carried out on the intermediate bones and joints – it can be stroking and rubbing, straight or in a circle. In this area of the body masseur doing massage the pads of the thumb or all the fingers with rubbing the edge of his hand or such a makeshift sawing.
Arthritis of the fingers – the specialist performs improvised stroking, then massaging each joint straight or zig-zag motion, using the pads of the fingers or the base of the palm. At the end several times shaken the hand.
When diagnosing arthritis of the hip joint – the specialist in the beginning massaging the lower part of the back and buttocks, then moving to the joints and hips.
In the lumbar and sacral spine massage is performed with the help of such movements as stroking and kneading pads thumb and back side of all the other 4 fingers.
If the patient tolerates the session, it is possible to introduce techniques such as rubbing and squeezing, pinching. With the gradual transition to the buttocks area apply techniques such massage techniques as stroking and squeezing, resolved, and kneading – circular and zig-zag, rectilinear pads and knuckles of the fingers.
With the defeat of the hip joint, around it can apply such methods and techniques as a cautious, shallow on the force and intensity of stroking, rubbing – in this respect use the entire palm and the pads and the back side of the fingers.
Arthritis of the knee joint – in the beginning, the therapist provides paravertebral effect using the stroking and rubbing, moving downwards from the lower leg area, concluding the session in neat shaking legs.
In case of defeat of the joints of the feet specialist practices the use of deep strokes, moving the pads of the fingers in the direction from the fingers of the lower extremities and upward to the ankle, and up to a third of the lower leg.
The massage is carried out not only with fingertips, but also the entire surface of the palm.
General advice and recommendations
In the process of performing a massage is to adhere to certain rules and advice. In the beginning it is necessary to consider that all movements should not cause pain and discomfort, whether it is a session of self-massage or by one specialist.
Optimal movement is smooth, but fairly vigorous, pursued steadily and rhythmically, as if they are in the area massaged area of the body should remain no pain, and a feeling of warmth, relaxation, lightness of movements.
During the massage massaging the lymph nodes is prohibited, and the pose during a session for the patient should be as comfortable to the body, the muscles and tendons were relaxed.
When diagnosing problems with musculoskeletal disorders all procedures starting from the top down, grabbing the area above the affected area of the body.
When exacerbation of the condition the massage is not carried out as in the diagnosis of inflammatory processes that occur in the body when bleeding if diagnosed open wounds and pus formation and so on.
Each massage is carried out exceptionally clean, pre-washed and warm hands. In the process of massaging, you can use special creams and gels, the reinforcing effect of massage movements.
Contraindications and limitations
With all the benefits of healing therapeutic massage as methods of treating arthritis, it can cause harm to the body and the affected joints.
Contraindications the main contraindications physicians include:
- acute inflammatory process that occurs in the body at the time of the massage;
- if the General health of the patient deteriorated;
- the impaired ability of blood clotting, body temperature increased, diagnosed with fever of unknown origin and theology;
- there is a exacerbation of a chronic disease, which is accompanied by nausea and vomiting;
- don’t spend a massage and after excessive physical exertion, emotional surges;
- if the patient is pronounced pain syndrome;
- the skin is affected – the wounds open, festering rashes, ulcerative lesions of the dermis.
Absolute contraindications include liver problems and kidney located in the stage of decompensation, when the patient has sexually transmitted diseases, in the case of acute myocardial infarction.
Not massages and in the case of mental disorder or with problems with the Central nervous system.
In relation to the local type of massage – it is not recommended to patients diagnosed with kidney stones and inguinal hernia, in the period of the menstrual cycle in women.
If a woman is pregnant, it is strictly prohibited to massage the abdomen and thighs, the lumbar.
The technique of self-massage for arthritis
Massages in the diagnosis of arthritis can be carried out independently. In this case, the main advantages of self-massage is following:
- to hold it in any, convenient for patient posture, whether lying on the floor or sitting in a chair, and if you do the procedure in the bath it will only strengthen the efficacy of therapeutic massage;
- themselves session at home can be done at a convenient time for the patient, in combination with physical therapy.
The disadvantages of the sessions of self-massage are:
- it does not help to fully relax the muscles;
- in some parts of the body to massage is not possible due to unavailability of back and shoulder;
- in the absence of sufficient practice and knowledge of yourself can do more harm than good.
How to conduct a session of self-massage
If everything is done properly – conducted self-massage will not deliver unpleasant sensations and pain, to injure the dermis, leaving on the body a bruise or bruises. In the massage the patient will only feel warmth.
When performing self-massage you need to start processing the part of the body that is above the diseased joint, grabbing and neighbouring parts of the body.
In the issue of the timing of the massage – if massage brush, by the time it should take 3 to 5 minutes, when massaging larger areas of the body – about 25-30 minutes.
In the process your own massage at home, it is important to take a comfortable position, while in the process of performing massage techniques must be considered and the direction of flow of the lymph, moving in the direction of nearby nodes. While massaging them is strictly prohibited.
Self massage, as the session is performed by a specialist, is not carried out in the period of exacerbation of the course of arthritis, and if the skin in this area is damaged, there is an open wound or purulent tumors. In that case, he will benefit.
Taking into account the benefits of massage for the complete course of arthritis treatment, we can speak about obligatory inclusion in the list is not only a curative component parts, but also as an effective and efficient rehabilitation phase. With proper implementation will bring significant health benefits by restoring the joints and returning the patient to normal life.