Marginal osteophytes of vertebral bodies and articular surfaces: what is it, symptoms and treatment
Why formed marginal osteophytes, and how to live with them?
Marginal osteophytes represent a growth of bone tissue. Often sprawl for quite a long amount of time did not manifest itself, and to discover them is obtained only after the conducted x-ray examination. Osteophytes can develop in different areas, legs, hands, feet, spine.
Education, as a rule, occur if the body is actively growing tumor on the bones, which is of a malignant character.
Often the growths are diagnosed in individuals who have metastatic tumors of a mammary gland or a representative. In benign tumors they can develop.
Marginal osteophytes may form on the surface of the vertebral bodies of the lumbar and thoracic Department and in the field of hip and knee arthroplasty.
According to statistics, the disease is most common in people over 55 years of age, but at a younger age with this diagnosis as it is possible to encounter.
What lies at the root of the problem?
The basic cause of disease is irritation of the region of the periosteum. It occurs usually as a result of contact of the joints with each other, which have no cartilaginous covering, and this is the main reason for the formation of growths.
In addition, the development of the disease can contribute to a number of factors:
- the presence of excess weight;
- periodic, heavy loads on the spine;
- diseases of the endocrine system;
- long stay in the same position without movement;
- curvature of the spine and posture disorders;
- the injuries of the vertebrae;
- flat feet any stage;
- hereditary factor;
- inflammatory processes that occur in the bone tissue;
- diseases of the nervous system;
- metabolic disorders and metabolism.
How does it look?
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The development of the disease often causes increased stress on the joints, causing them to thicken. After a certain time, the cartilage becomes hard, turning into bone and loses its ability to provide shock-absorbing properties, in consequence of the motion is considerably difficult and limited.
Education, as the growth begins to squeeze the nerve endings, which leads to the development of pain.
A major symptom is pain in the neck, the lumbar. The pain occurs as a response to inflammation and muscle spasm.
Additional symptoms may include the following:
- the onset of pain dull character in the neck or lower back, which increases during walking;
- periodic headache;
- pain in the lumbar region, which gives to the hips;
- light tingling;
- loss of sensation and numbness;
- feeling of weakness;
- irregularities in the urogenital system and the digestive tract.
Symptoms of the disease is most pronounced during increased physical activity, and decreases after a long vacation. The pain may become less when the body is tilted forward or backward.
When the first symptoms of osteophytes, it is necessary as soon as possible to consult a specialist who will conduct a series of diagnostic tests and prescribe an effective treatment that will help to eliminate the symptoms and relieve discomfort.
In this disease shows the consultation of the doctor – vertebrologist. For starters the specialist will perform a detailed inspection and will conduct a survey of the nervous system. This must be done in order to assess the performance of the nerve roots.
Based on the findings of inspection, complaints of the patient, anemes of the disease, the specialist develops a diagnosis and further treatment.
For accurate diagnosis and confirmation of the diagnosis is necessary to pass such studies:
- X-ray examination. X-ray is often prescribed at the first suspicion of the disease. Method allows you to see osteophytes in the early stages of the disease. In addition, in the pictures you may notice other changes that occur in the spine.
- ENMG. The procedure allows to detect abnormalities and conduction disturbances of nerve fibers., as well as to determine the degree of damage to the fibers.
- Magnetic resonance imaging. This diagnostic method gives the most accurate picture and a large amount of information about what’s going on inside the spine, its structure.
Treating the disease in its initial stage not much different from the treatment of other pathologies skeletal systems, particularly the spine. First we need to understand that the osteophytes can’t disappear completely.
The main objective in treatment is to allow your body to adapt to the new conditions and the disease has progressed. Growths on the bones, unfortunately, are unable to dissolve.
Usually the treatment regimen includes:
- Physiotherapy. Various techniques are applied physiotherapy, current, rays, magnetic radiation. Often with physiotherapy you can almost completely get rid of pain and restore mobility of the spine. If you combine the right treatments with medication, it can be enough in the short term to significantly improve the health of the patient. Thus, it is important to note that physiotherapy is contraindicated in malignant tumors, thrombosis, bleeding, tuberculosis and infectious diseases.
- Medication. Drug treatment involves taking anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs that reduce inflammation and relieve pain. To improve the effectiveness of therapy is better combined with physiotherapy, massage and gymnastics.
- A surgical method. This method applies to extreme measures and assigned in the absence of results from previous therapies.
Watch yourself, be careful
Preventive measures can reduce the risk of developing the disease and to avoid unpleasant symptoms. With this purpose it is necessary to follow a few recommendations to adhere to simple rules.:
- lifestyle should be active, not sit on the same place;
- the diet should be complete and varied, it is preferable to eat foods that are rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium and several other vitamins and minerals;
- always control your posture, your back should be flat, should sleep on a hard, solid surface and on a small pillow;
- if your job involves mostly sedentary life, it every hour to complete a few warm-up exercises directed at the neck and back.
It is important to remember that when the first signs of the disease should immediately consult a specialist who will diagnose and prescribe an effective treatment.