Modern treatment of kyphosis of the thoracic spine
Kyphosis of the thoracic spine, treatment and gymnastics
The diagnosis was kyphosis of the thoracic spine is bending of the thoracic back.
Slight bending of the a lot of people and is considered normal until, until it becomes noticeable.
Kyphosis leads to excessive compression of the intervertebral discs resulting in compression of the heart and lungs.
Causes of kyphosis
- The cause may be diseases such as rickets and tuberculosis of the bones.
- Deformation of the vertebrae can cause severe physical exertion.
- Kyphosis occurs on the background of injuries of the spine. It leads to compression fracture of the vertebrae.
- Often the cause of kyphosis becomes incorrectly formed in childhood posture. Children’s stoop, if it did not fight, over time, compounded and begins to form a hump.
Classification of kyphosis
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
In medicine, the kyphosis is divided into several types.
- Congenital form — initially an anomalous development of the vertebrae.
- Genotypic kyphosis is inherited and can be traced not to one generation.
- Compression form of kyphosis is manifested in frequent and heavy physical exertion, when the deformed body of one or more vertebrae and the height of their anterior becomes smaller.
- Mobile kyphosis caused due to weakness of back muscles, causing the person or slouch, or warp, which also leads to deformation of the vertebrae.
- Rachitic kyphosis. In this type of kyphosis is growing a hump. The reason for its formation becomes rickets, which affects children in the second half of life due to the General weakness of the skeleton and skeletal muscles, the immature vertebrae.
- Senile kyphosis is diagnosed when the formation of the hump is called senile changes in the tissues of the intervertebral discs and the weakening of all the muscles that support the spine and skeleton as a whole.
- Total kyphosis is a complex arcuate form of kyphosis that affects the entire spine. This form is sometimes observed in newborn children, which then disappears.
- Tuberculous kyphosis — as the name implies, the cause is tuberculosis causing inflammation of the tissues of the spine and later lead to destruction of the vertebral bodies, their deformation.
- Angular kyphosis. With the variety of diseases of the bulge has the shape of an angle whose apex is directed backwards.
- Physiological kyphosis occurs when the spine of the child to seven years developing correctly, but then in the thoracic kyphosis appears moderate, and further to the pubertal period is formed and kyphosis sacral.
The stage of the disease
In medicine it is accepted to distinguish three stages of kyphosis, depending on the angle of curvature of the spine and symptoms:
Stage 1 — mild form of kyphosis, the angle of curvature of no more than 30 degrees;
Stage 2 — moderate form, in which the angle is from 30 to 60 degrees;
Stage 3 — the most severe form of kyphosis. Angle reaches 60 degrees.
The treatment of the disease
There are several methods of treating kyphosis.
Most often, the physician recommends conservative treatment. This includes a set of procedures and therapeutic measures: physiotherapy, massage, specially selected physical exercises, medications, strengthening the muscles of the back corset.
With any type and stage of disease is assigned to a specially developed complex of exercises, which helps, first, to relieve the pain, and second, to form around the heart and lungs the kind of space that protects them from being crushed.
One of the most common accompanying disease kyphosis is osteoporosis.
It must be treated to stop further deformation and curvature of the skeleton. When treating kyphosis with osteoporosis are added to the preparations containing calcium and vitamins and exercise and, if necessary, hormones.
A few words about corsets. Wearing corsets can significantly reduce the constant pain, but the corset corrects posture, especially if the changes are already visible to the naked eye. Corsets selected experts in accordance with the type and stage of the disease.
It happens that the medication does not provide the desired result, the kyphosis continues to progress.
In this case, doctors prescribe surgical treatment. This version of the treatment of kyphosis is associated with certain risks. So first specialists discuss with the patient possible adverse effects of the operation. If dominated by arguments for a positive outcome, then operation is done.
There are situations when definitely recommended surgery:
- Severe pain that cannot be dulled with medication and other conservative methods of treatment.
- Progressive deformity of the spine that interfere with the normal operation of the lungs and heart.
- Obvious cosmetic defects that lead to psychological problems, discomfort in communicating with others, disruption of the socialization of the patient, cessation of the professional activity.
The operation itself is divided into two stages. Not enough to correct the deformation, it is also necessary to fix the result, to stabilize the spine to avoid re-development of the disease. For this purpose, special transpedicular stabilization system, comprising connecting rods and screws.
Materials from which is made the mechanisms are not rejected by the tissues of the body. This allows you to leave the system in the body for a long time, sometimes for life.
Exercises and gymnastics. Physical therapy
The complex of physical exercises for kyphosis — an integral part of treatment. Exercises to strengthen thoracic, strengthen muscles, correct posture, to stop further curvature.
Here are some basic gymnastic exercises to strengthen the muscles of the thoracic spine:
- Lie on stomach, hands to touch his shoulders. Next, while inhaling, try to hold your head back, simultaneously lifting the chest. Try to get up as high as possible. Exhaling, return to the prone position.
- To perform the exercise you will need a climbing stick. Lying on her stomach, a stick placed on the shoulder, holding her hands. In this position, try to hold your head and feel flexes the spine, tense the muscles even more trying to bend. Then return to the starting position.
- Get on all fours, raise your head, thoracic rotten down, elbows out to the sides. Keeping this situation it is necessary to move 50 steps.
- Again, take a gymnastic stick. Stand straight, feet shoulder width apart. Stick set up for the back so that it touches the shoulder blades. Exhale — squat, to breath — up.
- Feet shoulder width apart. A stick set up behind you, pressing the shoulder blades. Breathing in, raise the stick up, throws back her head back. Exhale, return to starting position.
Daily performance of these simple exercises helps to gain good posture and to restore health to the spine.
Some information about the treatment of kyphosis of the thoracic can be gleaned from this video.