Osteoarthritis of the elbow: symptoms and treatment of folk remedies and traditional
Causes, symptoms and methods of treatment of arthrosis of the elbow joint
Arthrosis of the elbow joint – a violation of the normal functioning of the forearm. The disease is localized in the elbow and radiates to the neck.
Characteristic of the disease is that it covers all elements of the joint: muscles, ligaments, subchondral bone, synovial capsule and sheath.
According to the International classification of diseases refers to Xlll the class of «diseases of the musculoskeletal system and connective tissue» M15-M19 «Arthrosis».
Who is exposed to disease?
The disease occurs in consequence of such reasons:
- trauma: injury, fracture, dislocation, rupture of ligaments;
- the metabolic disturbance and lack of adequate amounts of micronutrients;
- rheumatoid arthritis progression spreads to other parts of the body, including the elbow;
- lack of required amount of water in the body;
- the presence of chronic diseases such as gastritis, dental caries, tonsillitis, cholecystitis;
- infection that causes inflammation;
- age-related changes;
- problems with the thyroid;
- toxicosis and toxic poisoning;
- frequent colds;
- working conditions and responsibilities of everyday life;
- family history, if relatives have met such a problem, there is a high probability that osteoarthritis will appear and you.
The symptoms and signs of disease
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Arthrosis of the elbow joint have these symptoms:
- Pain occurs in the elbow joint. When bending-unbending pain is worse. There is also a discomfort with pressure on the elbow. At first the pain barely noticeable. Makes itself felt after the load on the arm or when lifting weights. Over time, the disease begins to progress, the pain is felt even at rest. Often affects the cervical. For this reason, elbow arthritis can be easily confused with symptoms of cervical osteoarthritis.
- The crunch movement. The usual ringing sound with an unpleasant feeling does not pose a risk. But if it becomes rough and dry – you need to pay special attention to this. This phenomenon occurs due to friction of one bone on another. The body lacks lubrication, which ensures the normal functioning of the elbow.
- Restrictions in movement. Straighten and bend the arm becomes difficult due to increased pain. Symptoms develop Thompson and Willow. In the first case the patient becomes difficult to hold the brush bent in a fist. Instantly I want to straighten the fingers. The second symptom, the patient is difficult to bend and straighten the arm at the level of the chin.
- Swelling. During the disease, some changes in your arm. Grow osteophytes, increases the amount of synovial fluid. There is also pressure on the joint from the inside. As a result, there is swelling and bumps.
The disease is starting to show very minor symptoms. But as the progression they are much stronger and cause a lot of inconvenience.
Based on this, there are several degrees of development of the disease. The correct decision will be to go to the doctor with the first signs. But in life it happens rarely.
The development of the disease
There are three degrees of osteoarthritis of the elbow joint.
For 1 degree is characterized by:
- minor soreness occur after lifting heavy weights and physical activity;
- external signs of the disease there during the inspection observed a decrease in muscle tone;
- there is pain in the abduction hands back and bending-unbending at the elbow.
At this stage of the disease is an x-ray to exclude other similar diseases. The picture is taken. Will be a slight narrowing of the gap.
In the second stage:
- increased pain when moving the hand, there are unpleasant sensations at rest;
- you receive crunch;
- atrophy of the muscles becomes pronounced;
- observed external changes in the form of swelling;
- pain pursues constantly, it becomes difficult to perform normal daily work.
At this stage of the disease often seek medical help. Done x-ray, which can trace a number of changes: numerous bony growths on the joints of burrs and deformation.
The end result is sad:
- all the previous symptoms become aggravated, the pain is accompanies the patient, even at night;
- movement is so limited, that man puts the elbow in a fixed position;
- deformation of the joint can be detected with the naked eye, and one arm may be shorter than the other;
- x-ray examination show completely destroyed the cartilage, the lack of the joint space, multiple growths of bone.
At this stage of the disease to get rid of the disease completely will not succeed. Removed the symptoms, and in the future will require careful attitude to his ailing arm.
Diagnosis of the disease
Diagnosis is radiography of the elbow joint.
In some cases additionally prescribe MRI diagnostics, arthroscopy.
Sure is a blood test.
After confirming suspicions are assigned the appropriate preparations, and offer advice.
Goals and principles of therapy
The goals of treatment of osteoarthritis of the elbow joint is as follows:
- pain management;
- increase the possibility of movement of the elbow;
- the correct way of life.
To cure disease it is necessary to use several methods. The most effective is considered exercise.
Proper exercise for elbow arthrosis returns hand mobility, increases blood flow in the joint. However, before you start any exercise you need to relieve pain.
- Drug therapy is prescribed. Attributed to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Voltaren, Diclofenac, Ortophenum. Injection is done subcutaneously or directly into the area of the disease. If after treatment symptoms are not eliminated – are assigned to re-treatment.
- The extremity is fixed in an inactive state by using a bandage.
- After removing the acute symptoms is prescribed a course of physiotherapy: electrophoresis with hydrocortisone, laser therapy, paraffin wraps.
- For tissue repair cartilage appoint cartilage protectors: Glucosamine sulfate, Ostenil, Structum. Applied as an ointment or injection.
- The course begins with physical exercises.
- Shown annual Spa treatment.
If all the above do not bring the desired result, and the disease reached a peak – surgically.
Along with the medical method uses and recipes to eliminate disease folk healers.
Recipes from the people
Treatment of osteoarthritis of the elbow joint folk remedies allows to achieve:
- strengthening the immune system
- accelerating the metabolism;
- changes in the composition of the cartilage tissue, through the intake of minerals and vitamins;
- stimulates blood circulation in the elbow joint;
- increasing the amount of lubricating fluid.
- Ointment of propolis: propolis – 50 g vegetable oil – 50 g the Ingredients are mixed. Dissolve in a water bath. Before bed rubbed into the elbow, rewound with polyethylene and towel. Left before morning.
- Birch compress. Leaves pour boiling water and insist 2-3 hours. The water is discharged. The leaves are applied to the joint. Primatyvajutsja gauze or bandage and insulated. You can use normal leaves – fresh and dried. Applied to the sore place and bind.
- Coniferous baths. The needles of pine, spruce, fir fill with water and boil for 10 minutes. A bit allow to cool and lower the patient’s arm.
- Infusion for ingestion. To prepare tinctures perfect cinquefoil, and elecampane.
To rely on folk remedies will completely cure osteoarthritis not worth it. They are used as additional to the basic treatment.
Restoration of mobility of the elbow joint occurs due to physical exercise and massage.
Massage is prescribed to eliminate problem areas. For a long time this area was limited in movement. Damaged muscle is experiencing fatigue and incapacity. Massage helps to normalize the condition.
Gentle physical exercise allows you to distribute the effort evenly throughout the joint. Over time it becomes stronger, it returns to the same ability.
The majority of cases, under proper treatment, a positive end result. However, there is the likelihood of complications.
This happens if the patient asked for help too late. In the future, this is manifested in the restriction of movement of forearm and occasional pain.
How to avoid disease?
Preventive measures are the following:
- Moderate exercise. Balanced physical activity.
- Protection from hypothermia.
- The correct diet. Replenish the body with vitamins and minerals.
- The weight control.
- Avoiding injuries.
- After a hard day to have a massage or light exercise.
Osteoarthritis of the elbow is quite a serious disease. At the first sign of illness it is better to consult a specialist. In the first stage, the disease is much easier and faster treated.
And it’s okay if your fears are confirmed. Better to be safe than sorry. And of course prevent any disease is easier than the cure.
Keep the correct way of life, avoid excessive stress, diversify a food. Take care of yourself and be healthy!