Osteoarthritis of the knee joint 1, 2, 3 degrees: symptoms, treatment narodnymi and traditional media
Causes, symptoms and treatment of knee joint osteoarthrosis
Osteoarthritis of the knee joint (sometimes also called osteoarthritis) – a disease of degenerative nature, manifested by lesions of the structures of the joint and leading to deformation and, ultimately, complete loss of mobility in the knee.
Unfortunately, the disease is fairly common and according to statistics, up to 30% of the world population suffer from osteoarthrosis of the knee joint one degree or another. The disease is chronic and may be accompanied by inflammatory processes.
A feature of this disease is what is detected in the early stages the problem can effectively be treated and people will live a life filled with movements for a very long time. There is another side of the coin: as the disease is chronic, to completely get rid of it will not work. Treatment only slows down the process of joint wear, but that will be quite enough for a full life.
Ignoring the problem may lead not only to pain, limitations in movement, and complete loss of functionality of the joint due to wear of cartilage in the knee.
The causes that provoke the development of osteoarthritis of the knee:
- Age. The disease affects up to 85% of the world’s population over the age of 60 — 65 years. At this age, cartilage can not regenerate, therefore age-related changes and aging in General includes all structures, including the joints. Even a minor burden at this age can destructively affect the cartilage of the knee.
- High loads. In this risk group includes people of those professions that are associated with excessive workloads , physical character: athletes, movers, and many others.
- Weight. In this case, the osteoarthritis develops in two ways: obesity, as a result of issues with metabolism and hormonal balance or pure physical exertion on the knees due to excessive weight. In the latter case, it is on legs, and specifically, the knees represent the main load, and that entails the destruction of cartilage. According to statistics, the highest percentage of the disease falls on women after age 40 overweight. Thus, the disease arthritis is 4 times more common in obese than in people of normal weight. And, accordingly, the greater the weight, the stronger the destructive force acts on the knee joints.
- Disease, trauma, surgery. Any intervention in the knee joint: whether it’s surgery or trauma can lead to osteoarthritis. This problem can cause poor circulation, impaired hormonal changes (during pregnancy).
- Stress. Stressful situations that arise in a person’s life, lead to muscle spasms and the production of stress hormone, and this in turn leads to the development of osteoarthritis.
- Heredity, congenital nature of the disease. Clients orthopedic clinics in most cases are people aged, but still there are situations when patients are young people. In this case we can talk about the hereditary nature of the disease. It can also be a congenital disorder associated with insufficient production of synovial lubrication.
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Of course, the diagnosis must be made by the attending physician, but in order for him to seek help, you must know the main symptoms that indicate the development of osteoarthrosis of the knee joint.
This will help in time to seek medical attention and not miss the moment to start treatment in time to preserve and maintain normal joint and its cartilage.
So, on the development of osteoarthritis can specify the following attributes:
- sudden pain in knee joints can not occur, therefore initially the troubled spot will feel discomfort and discomfort;
- further, can appear pain, accompanied by stiffness in the joint and restricted movement;
- if you ignore the treatment and in the absence of seeking qualified medical help, the joint is fully immobilized;
- observed muscle atrophy;
- there is a rough crunch in the knee joint;
- have the feeling of mowing your legs;
- valgus (X-shaped) or varus (O-shaped) deformation of the joints occurs in 50% of cases.
But that’s not all, as launched osteoarthritis of the knee joint 2 and 3 degrees can be accompanied by some other symptoms:
- a pinched meniscus: so any movement is accompanied by severe pain and impossible are trying to bend straighten knee;
- the occurrence of sudden internal bleeding in the joints (hemarthrosis);
- inflammation of the synovial membrane: is characterized by a local temperature increase, edema, the appearance of a liquid and increase joint;
- avascular necrosis of the femur (allows for the separation of bone segments).
Stage of development and their symptoms
Each stage of arthrosis is accompanied by characteristic symptoms. Thus, in medicine there are three degrees of development of osteoarthritis of the knee.
The first stage is characterized by such symptoms:
- quickly there tired feet;
- when the load increases there is pain;
- because pain is reduced range of motion;
- after stress there is discomfort in the knee.
In pictures of stage 1 of disease development can be observed narrowing of the articular cavity (a little while).
The second stage is characterized by the following manifestations:
- the discomfort is felt continuously, even if the person is at rest, and after rest in the morning;
- gait is slow because of the constant pain, stiffness of movements, the subsequent deformation of the joint that leads to inflammation and swelling.
On the images the second stage will contain a significant narrowing of the articular cavity, bone growth, thickening of bones. It is at this stage, it often happens that patients seek medical help.
3 the extent of the disease the hardest, which is not treatable. The patient with osteoarthritis of the knee 3 degrees receives disability. To rectify the situation at this stage is possible only by implanting the artificial joint.
Typically, people find themselves symptoms of fracture of knee-joint, goes to the reception to the narrow expert – the orthopedist and the surgeon or physician. But even these professionals will appoint necessary minimum of research, with results which it is necessary to go on reception to the orthopedist:
- General blood test: there is an important indicator for the expert will be ESR. If it exceeds 20 mm, there is every reason to suspect the inflammatory processes that occur in the knee joint.
- Biochemical blood test: about inflammation here will say the indicators of alkaline phosphatase, sialic acids, seromucoid, rheumatoid factor.
- Radiography in two projections: often, to determine the diagnosis and establish the stage one of this study will be enough. Disadvantage of imaging only in the fact that the state of the soft tissues of the joint can not be estimated.
After these mandatory studies a podiatrist to confirm or clarify the diagnosis can add a few more points:
- Ultrasound: allows you to assess the condition of the soft tissues. The only negative: to really assess the condition of the tissues can only be a specialist with extensive experience in this area and this study, as practice in this case plays a key role.
- MRI study is more expensive than ultrasound, but it allows you to accurately assess the condition of the menisci, capsule, cartilage, ligaments on the set of cuts.
The complex of therapeutic measures
Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee (if you know exactly what the cause) is aimed primarily at getting rid of a provoking factor.
If the disease develops as a result of the failure of metabolism, you need to use diet and lead to normal food. If the cause of the disease is overweight, it must be discarded. To treat the disease occurred on the background of hard work is necessary only after a change of workplace to a more gentle.
Drug treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee occurs through the use of several groups of drugs:
- analgesics (analgesic joints);
- chondroprotectors (substances that enter the body, nourish and regenerate cartilage tissue);
- drugs that improve circulation;
- anti-inflammatory drugs (hormonal or non-steroidal).
To achieve the effect of medical therapy is to reinforce some other methods:
- massage courses hip and thigh (2-3 times per year);
- physiotherapy to prevent contractures;
- for loads to use the knee-lock and orthopedic shoes;
- physiotherapy (UHF, ultrasound, laser, amplipuls);
- surgical treatment.
At home treatment osteoarthritis can be maintained and strengthened through national means and methods.
Before use of any means should visit for recommendations of a physician. Only he can assess the situation and prescribe the best treatment option in each situation.
Decoctions for oral administration:
- tea with ginger will help relieve inflammation and eliminate pain syndrome;
- before eating you must make a decoction of willow bark, birch, nettle, calendula in equal parts;
- half a Cup on an empty stomach take broth peel onions and dandelion leaves;
- soreness will help to reduce the broth hips.
- The application of fresh minced horseradish, brewed in warm water.
- For a few hours on the knee imposed a compress of blue clay mixed with chopped fresh leaves of burdock (must be warm). Further, the applique is fixed with a bandage: you can take a warm scarf.
- Alcohol infuse the fresh flowers of the dandelion. To sustain the tool in a dark room, you need at least two weeks. After that, several times a day remedy rubbed into the problematic area.
- In the diseased joint before bed rubbed ointment made from cups of salt (large) and Cup of mustard. For better consistency added warm paraffin.
Well established in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee bath with sea salt and turpentine. This composition helps to get rid of pain and inflammation, while restoring the motor function of the affected joint.
Complications and prevention
Running disease could lead not only to increased pain that just will not give you the ability to perform daily activities and lead a normal life, but eventually may lead to disability (complete immobilization of the knee joint).
In order to reduce the likelihood of developing osteoarthritis should watch their weight and lifestyle. It is not necessary to carry weights and overload the legs.
It is important to perform simple physical exercises, aimed not at the knee joint – this will strengthen the organism and its resistance to various kind of diseases. This prevention is to support traditional methods in the form of decoctions, ointments, and baths, which will reinforce the effect.