Osteoporosis of the hip — causes of development and treatment
How to treat osteoporosis of the hip is one of the most threatening types of osteoporosis
A healthy skeleton has the strength, flexibility, hardness. These are essential for normal life quality largely depends on sufficient content in the bones of calcium, phosphorus and other substances.
If you experience osteoporosis, the bone tissue gradually loses them in its composition, with the result that its structure becomes less dense. The slightest injury, and burden in this disease is often lead to fractures.
The hip joint is experiencing large dynamic and static loads, so patients with osteoporosis, the risk of damage to this division of musculoskeletal system.
The most vulnerable place in the hip – femoral neck. A fracture in this place in older people often leads to immobilization and death.
Therefore, osteoporosis of the bones forming the hip joint, is a global problem of modern medicine.
Causes of osteoporosis
Osteoporosis always develops on the background of metabolic disorders in the skeletal system, the cause of which may be:
- The decrease in the level of sex hormones (e.g. menopause in women).
- Endocrine disorders (hypogonadism, thyrotoxicosis, Cushing’s syndrome hyperparathyroidism, diabetes mellitus).
- Insufficient content in the diet of calcium and vitamin D.
- Removal of the uterus or of one of the ovaries in women.
- Long-term immobilisation.
- Smoking, substance abuse and alcohol.
- Drug therapy with the use of steroid hormones, diuretics, heparin, immunosuppressants.
- Genetic predisposition.
Symptoms of osteoporosis
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Often it happens that patients with osteoporosis of the skeleton they find out about their disease only after the fracture occurred. Although we cannot say that the disease is completely transparent — to identify it is still possible for the following features:
- Mild back pain whining character (for no apparent reason);
- Cramping calf muscles (usually at night);
- Changes in the spine (slouching, scoliosis, progressive after 45 years, a marked growth reduction);
- The changing shape of the thorax.
Diagnosis of osteoporosis
Osteoporosis, regardless of its location, is well served by treatment in an early stage. The diagnosis is established after a comprehensive survey, which includes the following methods:
- Densitometry is the most accurate instrumental method, which determine the level of bone strength, measured its density. Using x-ray densitometry can detect osteoporosis at the beginning of the disease (the loss of only 3% of bone tissue). In the case of reduction of bone density 1 to 2.5 standard deviations are diagnosed with osteopenia if this ratio is higher than 2.5, are diagnosed with osteoporosis.
- The computer tomography gives the possibility to visually examine cross-sections of bones and to identify the smallest changes and fractures.
- Laboratory studies of urine and serum confirmed the diagnosis of «osteoporosis» if you are experiencing elevated levels of urine deoxypyridinoline with a low level of osteocalcin in blood.
Treatment of osteoporosis
The main objectives of therapy of osteoporosis of the hip: pause «washout» of bone calcium and other substances to intensify the process of bone formation.
Medical treatment of osteoporosis includes the appointment of the following drugs
- antiresorption drugs (calcitonin, biphosphonates), which suppress bone resorption and stimulate the processes of bone remodelirovania;
- anabolic drugs (raloxifene, teriparatide, testosterone). These products help to intensify the processes of osteogenesis;
- hormones (androgens, estrogens, progestins), which contribute to a better absorption of minerals into the bones;
- calcium and vitamin D (calcitonin, miacalcin, and calcium D3 Forte). These medications Supplement the lack of calcium in the body, reduce pain in the fracture.
Active medical treatment of osteoporosis should begin immediately after diagnosis to avoid the appearance of slowly healing fractures.
Osteoporosis of the hip do not lift and carry heavy loads, it is necessary to avoid falls, unusual postures, and to move very carefully because any injury or awkward movement can cause a fracture.
To make up for lack of calcium in the body traditional medicine recommends:
- take powder of chicken egg shell, mixed with lemon juice;
- to drink a decoction of St. John’s wort before meals (1 tbsp herb to 1 Cup boiling water);
- to drink the clay solution before eating (1 teaspoon of clay in a glass of water);
- for healing fracture to make lotions from broth of geranium (1 tbsp to 1 Cup of boiling water) directly on the projection area;
- drink dissolved in water Apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon per Cup of warm water).
To use the recipes of traditional medicine should be cautious, after consulting with the doctor.
Prevention of osteoporosis
Many believe that osteoporosis of the hip is the sad lot of the elderly, not taking into account the fact that calcium begins to leave the bones of the skeleton are already in their 30s.
Prevention of osteoporosis should begin long before old age.
The complex of preventive measures for osteoporosis of the hip is:
1. In the daily diet should contain foods rich in calcium, vitamins, phosphorus (meat, cheese, yogurt, cheese, eggs, greens, fruits).
2. The rejection of alcohol and Smoking.
3. In the exercise, promotes the growth of bone tissues and strengthen muscles surrounding the joint.
4. Daily walks in the daytime — the sun’s rays remain an excellent source of vitamin D, and physical activity contributes to the equilibrium processes of resorption and bone tissue.
Video «Great to live» with Elena Malysheva. Topic: «Osteoporosis: how to strengthen bones»
In the absence of physical activity in bone tissue aktiviziruyutsya degenerative processes, therefore, even with osteoporosis, you must perform specially recommended exercises.
Exercises with weights help to increase the bone density. The bones of the lower limbs can be strengthened while you walk without carrying weights on them, and this is done by the body weight. Classes Aqua aerobics help to improve condition of bones and joints without undue stress.
Video. Rejuvenating exercises for the hip joints
exercise for knee and hip joint
exercise for hip joint
You do not need to perceive osteoporosis as a death sentence. Proper treatment, proper nutrition, simple gymnastic exercises with a strong desire and the desire of the patient to get well will help to overcome this insidious disease.