Pain in elbow: causes, what to do if a sore elbow treatment
Why sore elbow: what you can do and how to help joint
There is probably a person who never in my life had pain in the elbow joint. As a rule, pain appears in the background of any disease, but sometimes it can occur for no apparent reason.
Often with pain in the elbow joint face someone who leads an active lifestyle, plays sports, loves to relax in nature and constantly traveling, choosing difficult routes.
People engaged in heavy physical labor are also at risk and often experience discomfort in the elbow joint.
The main causes of pain syndrome
The elbow joint is a compound joint, consisting of 3 types of bones (ulna, radius and humerus), which are articulated between one joint capsule.
The joint is fixed by a ligamentous apparatus, which ensures the correct direction of the elbow. The joint is surrounded by muscles, tendons, blood vessels, nerve fibers, etc.
The cause of pain can be a usual fall, which is possible injury of the elbow joint. Quite often there are serious damage such as a crack or fracture.
The fact that the joint is very sensitive to various physical or mechanical impact.
Pain syndrome of different Genesis and manifestations
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
In addition, pain in the elbow and a little above and below it (and often from the brush and up to the shoulder) may be caused by the following reasons:
- Pain above or below the elbow joint can be caused by thoracic or cervical osteochondrosis, intervertebral disc protrusion or herniation in these areas of the spine. In this case, the pain also occur in the neck, between the shoulder blades. Elbow hurts like when in flexion and extension and during the holidays. Any visible changes there. With the progression of pathology of the bending of the arms hampered while touching the forearm of patients is almost not felt.
- Burning pain in the elbow joint is typical of gout. Typically, pain occurs at night, the elbow is swollen, the skin around it bloodshot. Increased body temperature accompanied by nausea and loss of appetite.
- Strong or moderate pain seen in rheumatoid arthritis or polyarthritis. The patient can make a bad arm rotary motion, but barely flexes the limb. The skin near the joint is swollen and hyperemic. The pain syndrome is observed even in a resting state.
- Severe pain can be dislocation, which is possible in case of an accident, after a fall on the elbow or upper limb. The joint swells, the skin over them blush. Often in such cases, it hurts the whole arm from the elbow to the wrist
- Mild pain with flexion of the elbow joint is typical for arthrosis. The discomfort intensifies when you try to bend the limb. Arm may not straighten before the end of any movement affecting the joint is accompanied by a crunch.
- Pain in the elbow and the extremities may indicate a tear of the tendon that is damaged by trauma or lifting heavy objects. The limb swells, the patient is unable to move her damaged bicep. In such cases also hurt the muscles of the arm above and below elbow.
- Severe pain in the right or left elbow can indicate a broken leg. During the injury you hear the crunch, the limb is not movable, due to rupture of blood vessels visible hematomas under the skin.
- Pain in the elbow and knee joints is characteristic of chondrocalcinosis. The joints become swollen, the limb is flexed with difficulty. Suffer one or several joints at once.
- Acute elbow pain is typical for bone spurs is osteophytes, which are formed due to excessive physical activity or abnormalities of calcium metabolism. Tumors damage adjacent tissue during movement and cause severe pain.
- Aching pain in the elbow joint may indicate inflammation of the ulnar nerve. There are violations of motor functions of the hand, numbness of the fingers and loss of sensitivity.
- Also, this type of pain may indicate a tumor. The first symptoms in this case will be no pain, and weakness, loss of body weight. With the progression of the disease the pain will be permanent, and grow in the night. Analgesics not help.
- Pain during flexion of the upper limb characteristic of inflammation of the tendons — tendonitis. Painful sensations are in a time of rest and worse with various movements. Palpation of injured tendon can also occur pain. You hear the crunch when driving. The joint swells, the skin over it hyperemic and hot.
- If a sore left elbow, this could indicate a myocardial infarction. There are strong zerguine and pain under the left shoulder blade. The pain may irregurality in the neck, in the epigastric region, in the scapula and in the left hand.
Tasks and methods of diagnosis
The appearance of pain in the elbow people should be alerted, as this may indicate different pathologies and accurate diagnosis can only specialist.
When the pain should consult a physician or the pediatrician’s place of residence, and he after inspection will issue a direction to a narrow profile specialists: traumatologist, rheumatologist or neurologist.
Specialist will conduct a visual inspection of the patient palpated a painful joint, collect a medical history.
In diagnosis helps:
- Arthroscopic surgery;
- Computer and magnetic resonance tomography, etc.
- biochemistry of the blood;
- General analysis of blood and urine;
- could be a puncture from the elbow.
First aid and treatment
You first need to know what can be done if the elbow hurts in the joint due to the injury.
If the soreness came because of the injury, apply something cold on it. This will help reduce pain, swelling and stop bleeding.
Give the limb a position in which the pain is minimal.
Immobiliaria limb if any movement brings pain. Contact your doctor, he finds out the cause of disease and prescribe appropriate treatment.
The first goal is to get rid of the pain
Since the patient is in pain he is primarily prescribed analgesic. Which can be pills, injections or ointments.
Usually prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Voltaren, Movalis, Nise, Ibuprofen.
Severe pain can be prescribed short courses of corticosteroids, such as Diprospan, which make right in the joint.
Then, depending on the underlying disease that caused the pain in the elbow, be given the appropriate treatment:
- gout first 2 weeks prescribe NSAIDs for relief of acute attacks of Colchicine is prescribed. Also reduces the level of uric acid Allopurinol;
- when osteoarthritis to po NSPs and GCS add chondroprotectors;
- when neuritis is shown nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, Niacin and b vitamins, for example Milgamma;
- in the presence of contractures appoint Mydocalm;
- the appearance of intervertebral hernia, may need surgery.
Physiotherapy is a modern
Good effect in the treatment of pathologies of the elbow joint achieved after a course of physiotherapy treatment. Depending on the disease type and its stage, the patient may appoint:
- magnetotherapy treatment;
- paraffin and mud applications;
- the periodical hypobaric hypoxic stimulation;
- ozokerite, etc.
A course of physical treatment is chosen individually, depending on the disease, comorbidities, health of the sick.
As a rule, to improve the condition necessary to conduct 10 sessions.
You also need
The positive effect observed from massage therapy.
Useful regular exercise, which strengthen muscles, reduce pain, improves circulation and trophism of the damaged vessel, and normalize overall health of the patient.
Severe pain the patient may prescribe bed rest. Some patients may need the help of a psychologist.
Recipes of traditional medicine from pain
At home, you can make application with clay. To do this, the clay is heated to a temperature of 45 degrees. The affected joint is treated with vodka, put on his gauze in several layers, and the top 1 cm of heated clay. All wrapped up in cloth and wool. Keep the compress for 1 hour.
To stop pain and remove the swelling compresses will help with sea salt. To do this, it must be placed in a linen or cotton bag, which is then within 20 minutes to maintain the ferry. It’s enough that the salt is warmed to a temperature of 65 degrees.
Warm the bag of salt put on the affected joint and as it will cool down the pain starts to subside. After a few seconds, the swelling is almost completely down.
Can be taken within 30 minutes a hot bath with salt. The bath is prepared at the rate of 1 tablespoon of salt per 1 liter of hot water. People suffering from hypertension are advised to take warm baths.
In order to prevent
The prevention of pain in the joints is to limit excessive physical activity. But regular exercise, will benefit, as it will help to strengthen the muscles, but it depends on their performance of the joints.
The need to protect the knee from various injuries. In sports in which there is a high probability of damage to the elbow, for example when in-line skating requires the use of special elbow pads.
The important role played by a balanced diet, maintaining a normal body weight. If necessary, you can take pharmacy vitamin-mineral complexes containing calcium.
It is important to monitor their emotional state, learn to overcome stressful situations and, of course, regular checkups to detect diseases at early stages.