Periarthritis shoulder joint (frozen shoulder): treatment and symptoms
Symptoms, treatment and recovery of shoulder periarthritis
Various joint problems can appear at any age. This leads to higher loads or infectious disease.
One of the very unpleasant disorders is frozen shoulder.
It causes pain and gives a person a lot of inconvenience.
What kind of disease is this?
Periarthritis of the shoulder joint is an inflammatory process that attacks itself is not the shoulder joint, and tissue that surround it.
The pathology involves the joint capsule, tendons and ligaments, while the joint tissue remain healthy.
Sometimes the shoulder leading to stiffness in the limbs, but pain is not.
In this case, the condition called «frozen shoulder.»
Causes and risk factors
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
There are many factors that can lead to the development of this problem:
- Traumatic injuries of the shoulder. They may be the result of a fall on the shoulder, overload when performing certain operations, a consequence of stroke.
- Disease of the cervical spine. The main role is playing a cervical osteochondrosis. Also to the development of the shoulder may cause displacement of the vertebrae and herniated discs.
- Pathology of the chest and abdomen. The appearance of the disease may result from myocardial infarction or neoplastic processes in the breast.
- Diseases of the liver. In this case, the shoulder is usually localized exclusively to the right.
The symptoms and signs of disease
Manifestations of the disease depend directly on the form of pathology.
So, in simple scapulohumeral periarthritis have these symptoms:
- minor shoulder pain that appears only when the movements of the hand;
- a slight limitation of joint mobility;
- severe pain when trying to lift your arm up.
If time does not begin treatment, the simple form of the disease transformirovalsya in acute periarthritis of the shoulder joint, this condition has the following symptoms:
- sharp pain in the shoulder that gradually increases;
- increasing discomfort in the night time;
- violation of arm movement around the axis;
- swelling in the shoulder;
- a slight rise in temperature;
- General deterioration of health.
In about half of cases, the pathology becomes chronic. This disease is characterized by such symptoms:
- moderate pain in the shoulder that do not cause much discomfort;
- acute pain at the unfortunate hand movements;
- aching shoulders at night, which causes sleep disturbance.
To identify the disease, the doctor will conduct a physical exam is to determine the presence of bone protrusions, the symmetry of the joints and atrophy of muscle tissue. Then probing of the shoulder and scapula.
To assess the motility of the joint, the doctor asks the patient to take your arm back, lift her to carry the extensor and rotational motion.
Also diagnosis of this disease requires x-rays, which will allow for the identification of traumatic lesions or degenerative changes in the joint.
To detect bone disorders, is a computer tomography. However, the most popular method of diagnosis is currently the ultrasound.
What is the meaning of therapy?
The main objectives of treatment of humeroscapular periarthritis is:
- elimination of the pain;
- termination of the inflammatory process;
- the restoration of joint mobility;
- prevention of complications.
Treatment should start with immobilization of the affected limb. This was achieved by overlaying wire bus.
Can also be used hanging gauze bandage. While permanent immobilization is not carried out, so as not to cause stiffness of the joint.
To cope with the pain, the doctor prescribes painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. They can be used for local applications, but also in the form of tablets and injections.
With strong pain syndrome shows the blockade periarticular tissues with anesthetic solution.
Also administered glucocorticoid with pronounced anti-inflammatory effect.
Effective treatment of periarthritis of the shoulder joint are the methods of physiotherapy:
- shock wave therapy;
- lazero — and a magnetotherapy;
- transcutaneous electrical stimulation;
- manual therapy.
In advanced cases, surgical intervention is performed. Surgery is indicated in cases of severe pain, severe limitation of shoulder or complete loss of motor activity.
The procedure involves performing a subacromial decompression. In this case, the doctor removes a small portion of the blade and one set. This allows you to stop injury to the surrounding tissue.
With the development of fibrotic contractures necessitates the dissection of the joint capsule. This procedure fails to restore mobility.
Rehabilitation after surgery usually takes about 3 months. In this period the person needs to do therapeutic exercises.
Exercises Popova, as a method of rehabilitation
When scapulohumeral periarthritis is recommended to perform a complex of special exercises according to the method of Popov, which helped to restore the function of limbs:
- To sit on the edge of a chair, put his hands on his knees, his back to straighten. To create an imitation of leg movements. Stroking her legs from the hips to the knees – this will help to stretch your shoulder girdle.
- In the same position to relax the muscles of the shoulder. To do alternately, the trunk bending to the right and left, complementing them with the pulling up of the shoulders.
- To close the brush and pull hands up. Of this position is to perform a careful lateral bending of the body.
- Alternately raise your right and left hand. The head should be deployed in the direction of the raised hand. It is necessary to actively include the muscles of the shoulder girdle, performing a movement bent at the elbows with your hands.
A set of exercises that will help you to forget what a frozen shoulder:
Post isometric relaxation
Post isometric relaxation with scapulohumeral periarthritis involves intermittent isometric work done by the shoulder muscles with a minimum of effort for 5-10 s
Then they performed a passive stretch for the same length of time.
To cope with increased muscle tone and pain, you need to do 3-6 reps.
This method allows to cure about 90% of patients. To fully cope with the disease, usually need 12-15 sessions.
To improve the efficiency of the procedure helps therapeutic massage, laser therapy and soft techniques of manual therapy.
To improve the human condition and to stop pain, you can use folk remedies:
- Decoction of medicinal plants. In equal parts it is necessary to mix chamomile flowers, mint leaves and burdock root. To prepare a decoction and use it for rubbing the affected area.
- A compress of the leaves of burdock. Fresh leaves of this plant should be heated and applied to the affected shoulder. It is recommended to do it twice a day.
- Tincture of calendula. You can buy a ready remedy at the pharmacy or prepare it yourself. For this purpose 50 g of flowers of this plant pour 0.5 liters of vodka and insist 2 weeks. The resulting composition used for the grinding of the shoulder.
- A poultice of horseradish. From the root of this plant to make a paste, gently heat it and wrap with gauze. Apply to affected site two times a day.
- Hirudotherapy. The application of leeches is also very helpful for scapulohumeral periarthritis. For this you need to put them on the shoulder in the location of the maximum inflammation.
- Infusion of Hypericum. Tablespoon chopped herbs pour 250 ml of boiling water and leave for half an hour to infuse. Take the remedy four times a day. Single dose of 1 tablespoon.
If not promptly receive proper medical treatment, the patient’s condition may seriously deteriorate. In this case, the frozen shoulder progresses, and the clinical symptoms increase.
If the process becomes chronic, to return the joint to a healthy condition becomes really difficult.
Also a complication of the disease can be the development of stiffness of the joint and even full immobilization. In such a situation there is a need for surgical intervention, which does not always lead to full recovery.
To prevent the development of disease, you need to deal with prevention of this disease. It is necessary to observe certain rules:
- To provide moderate exercise. To develop and strengthen the joint, every day to do small exercises.
- To follow the principles of healthy eating. The diet must be present products containing calcium and fiber. The amount of salt recommended limit. Should also minimize the consumption of fatty, fried and smoked dishes.
- To maintain the correct posture. It is very important to monitor the position of his body when walking or sitting behind a Desk. It is also not recommended too heavily load the shoulders and spine during exercise.
- Avoid drafts and exposure to cold on the shoulders and neck. Prolonged hypothermia may develop an inflammatory process.
Periarthritis of shoulder is a rather unpleasant condition that causes serious discomfort and can cause dangerous complications.
To avoid this, any pain in the area of shoulders and neck should be cause for seeking medical attention. Only a specialist will be able to make an accurate diagnosis and to choose the optimal treatment regimen.