Prevention of posture: how to learn to hold back to make it nice and proper
How to learn to keep good posture, back straight, and chest out!?
Posture can be described as the erect position of man, in which each sector bodies held one above the other in a gravitational field with the use of minimum muscle power.
With the use of minimum muscle activity, that is, energy consumption is also connected with the assertion that this provision is identical or differs only slightly from a relaxed, free standing.
Features of formation of posture
The first change in the spine occurs about the 6th week of life the baby when he, in an attempt to see what is happening around him, raises in the supine position the head over the substrate.
Another critical period occurs around the age of 3.5 months, when the voltage of your own back muscles and straightens the spine. At this time, the vertebrae become the support base for the movement of the strong muscles from the shoulder blades and the hip joint.
At a time when the child begins to stand up and walk, or to sit on a chair with legs down, there is a deflection in the lumbar spine. This mainly involved the deep muscles of the back. This natural deflection of the spine increases its flexibility and also is a sign of a correct muscle development.
In the first years of life curve is not pronounced enough and can be changed. At a later age, gradually formed a constant natural curvature and about 6 years the first signs of fixing a certain body position (posture).
The shape of the posture has a direct impact, mainly muscle activity (or inactivity), that is, movements that the body performs while in a certain position. The quality and type of the movement in the period before the end of growth strongly influences the future shape of the spine.
Stunting occurs in the age group 15-19 years and in this time we can say that the most important in relation to posture, was formed. Correction of distortions, of course, to some extent, is possible even after that age, however, the process will be slow and with uncertain results.
Correct posture — what is it?
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Characteristics of correct posture are a little different in different sources, but most often professionals focus on the following aspects:
- the head is held in a vertical position, raised slightly up, chin forms a right angle with the neck;
- the shoulders are freely distributed across the width, a little laid back and down, they are symmetric, that is, both sides are located on the same level;
- the chest protrudes a little bit;
- the blades are symmetrical, i.e., both sides – on one level;
- the spine twice smoothly curved in the sagittal plane (cervical lordosis, thoracic kyphosis, lumbar lordosis), in the frontal plane – without distortion;
- the hip joint is in neutral position, that is, the front and rear upper bedernau bones are located on the same level;
- lower limbs (knees and hips) is not forcibly stretched, the body weight is transferred slightly forward of the centers of the hip, knee and ankle joints located in vertical axis one above the other;
- feet — there is longitudinal and transversal arch.
Straight back – the key is not only beauty but also health
Correct body position in the vertical direction plays an important role in the maintenance of a healthy musculoskeletal system. Posture is also important in nonverbal communication – it reflects our psyche.
When the mind is right, you are happy, have a healthy self-image and show it stretched, extended chest and your head elevated. However, if you have any problems, sadness, depression or fear, we automatically took a defensive position, which is shown rounded spine, drooping shoulders and head.
The effect of correct posture on the musculoskeletal system
With the correct posture all the muscles and joints are in so-called neutral position, in which the uniformly distributed load on the joints, and muscles operate in mutual balance. Nothing prevents the fullness of breath and vital energy.
Due to today’s lifestyle, when we spend most of our days sitting, our muscles do not work to adequately hold the straightened spine. Tell me, what position are you reading this article? Realize in what position is your back. You sit hunched over a computer or a mobile phone?
Try to remember this position and then stand up and try to walk. Is it convenient to move around with bent head and rounded back? Not really. Walking is a natural movement in which the muscles keep the spine, so he could be in an erect position.
This is a congenital location, in order that man could walk, he needs a straight spine and head position so that the eye was looking forward.
Breathe all breast
With smooth associated posture and our breath. If the body is not kept in balance, some muscles are overloaded and some are weakened, as reflected on the correct breathing.
For the physiological progress of breath it is important the location of the axis of the diaphragm and the hip joint, which should be parallel.
The diaphragm, as the most important organ of respiration, therefore, can be lowered, and on the inhale squeeze the contents of the abdomen down to the pelvis, which is important to maintain the proper functioning of the abdominal organs and is key for stabilization of the lumbar spine.
The consequences of the back curve:
- the violation of optimal movement in the joints;
- damage to the tendons, ligaments, nerves, wear and tear of the cartilage;
- muscle damage;
- degenerative changes in the spine and joints;
- pain in back and joints, headache.
Start small — the first thing you can do
Muscles usually have their antagonist (opposing muscle with the opposite function) and one muscle of the pair often has a load more than the other, which contributes to its reduction.
This leads to an unbalanced situation and imbalances. To improve the situation by stretching shortened muscles and strengthening weakened.
Anatomically correct approach:
- The position of the head. The head should be slightly (!) laid back – the chin with the neck forms an angle of 90 degrees.
- Shoulders back and down. Tight chest and front deltoid muscles shift the shoulders forward. The condensed upper part of the trapezius muscle, in turn, causes them to rise. This creates unsightly roundness of the thoracic spine.
- The pelvis is slightly protrudes. Smartness and a small extension of the hips is another important feature of the correct posture. Without proper exercise often leads to development of lower-cross syndrome.
- Fit of the stabilization muscles. Stabilization muscles are also an indicator of good posture. They should be strong but not forced.
- The location of the feet. Right need to stand with your feet shoulder width apart, so as not to overload the hip joints. Another point is slightly bent, the knee in the standing position should not be fully extended at the knees, because, otherwise, there is an overload of the knee joints and ligaments. Toes pointing forward and not to look to the side.
How to learn to keep posture
During standing, walking and other activities always keep an eye on the 5 points:
- Head. You «stretched» from the spine to the crown of the head – there is a sense of a long neck, the chin is slightly pushed back – the feeling of a double chin, eyes looking forward the principle of «on earth I don’t find anything».
- Shoulder blades and push to the sides, there is a sense of open chest, the shoulders are located, as can be further from the ears, which, again, causes a feeling of a long neck. At the same time, they are slightly pushed back and down, but be careful not to SAG in the hips!
- The pelvis and lumbar region of the spine. Do not go down and not slouch! Buttocks slightly compressed. You are mentally trying to stretch the spine.
- Knees. They are stable and hold position directly over the ankles. Be careful with the position of the knee in X’s and O’s! Awareness of proper activation of the arc and focusing on the load the outer edges can help to prevent an incorrect position of knees.
- The foot and ankle. Feet located at the level of the pelvis, horizontally as the rails. Note reference points: the heel – pinky – thumb. The weight is evenly distributed throughout the foot. Ankle stable.
The prevention of violations
Prevention of poor posture begins with the prevention of obesity. It can be prevented in several ways:
- a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of rational vitamins, fruits, vegetables and fiber;
- smaller but frequent meals;
- don’t forget about Breakfast;
- the prosperity of physical activity.
Additional principles of prevention of postural disorders usually are:
- exercise regularly;
- change position – sitting, standing;
- don’t carry the bag in one hand or over the shoulder;
- control posture;
- wear suitable shoes;
- avoid excess weight;
- avoid DC voltage.
TOP 3 exercises for a healthy back
Exercises to prevent curvature of the spine and proper posture:
- Exercise for correct position of the pelvis, strengthening the abdominal and gluteal muscles. Lie on your back, arms at your sides, palms down, legs slightly apart, knees bent, feet rest on the floor. Breathe in the belly and prolongiruetsa exhale, pull your buttocks and stomach at the same time lift the pelvis above the surface. Slowly return to starting position and relax the buttocks and abdomen. The knees during exercise, it is necessary to keep slightly apart. It is a mistake to bend or lumbar spine.
- Exercise for stable housing, strengthen the muscles of the shoulders and abdomen. Starting position – as in the previous exercise. Raise your right hand and place it on the left knee which lift so that all its joints are made straight angle. Then a hand press on his knee, and him – on the contrary, on the palm. Hold the pressure for about 7 seconds, then relax and return to starting position. Do the same with the opposite side. Mistake is the knee, too tight to the body, and lifting shoulders off the floor.
- Exercise to strengthen and relax the back muscles. Sit cross-legged, sit up straight, the head is located on the axis of the spine, hands, bent at the elbows, palms resting on the armrest, eyes forward. Drawing the entire region of the palm on the armrest, easy to tilt the torso back. In this position, abstain for about 10 seconds, then relax, the body and the head tilt forward. During exercise do not attract the blades to each other. It would be a mistake lifting your shoulders or tilt of the head.
Many people solve potential problems with posture by inactivity. But it’s a mistake. Prevention, regular exercise and active lifestyle – the guarantee of health.
Inactivity leads to muscle weakness, which they will not give support to the spine and the supporting structures of the body that need support.