Protrusion bespozvonochnyh discs (spinal discs): features of treatment
Treatment of protrusion of the discs of the spine (intervertebral disc)
Protrusion of intervertebral disc (other names: intervertebral disc protrusion) is a bulging of the disc beyond the border of the spine.
In fact it is an early stage in the development of intervertebral hernia, and differs from it by the absence of rupture of the fibrous ring.
Stage of the process
In its development, the disease passes through three stages
- For the first characterized by a change in the structure of the disc tissue. Disk — flattened, fibrous ring cracks, as a result it loses its integrity. The destruction affected approximately 2/3 of the disk. Pain are paroxysmal character.
- The transition to the second stage is characterized by the bulging disc for about 2-3 mm. the Pain is radiating (squeezed nerve)
- The third stage is predgradie a condition that precedes the rupture of the fibrous ring of the size of the prolapse increases, radiating pain are acute in nature, there is a static-dynamic violations, possible numbness of the extremities.
The development of the disease
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
On the protrusion cannot be said to be a separate disease. She was mainly a consequence of what is happening in osteochondrosis degenerative changes affecting the intervertebral discs and leading to changes in their properties.
The discs of the spine do not have their own blood vessels. As a result, they get nutrients from the surrounding tissue by diffusion. The normal flow of the process is possible only in the presence of loads on the disc and the surrounding muscle and ligaments. If this increased load is no less dangerous than their absence. The second factor affecting diffusion is the speed of metabolism.
The result of the degenerative process becomes a refinement of the annulus fibrosus and loss of elasticity. It cracks appear, the cavity of which is gradually shifting the nucleus pulposus, resulting in the development of the protrusion, or protrusion.
The damages relate to both the internal fibers of the fibrous ring and the preserved outer fibers forming the movable part of the disc.
Formed in the protrusion penetrates into the spinal canal, leading to irritation or pinching of the nerves located there and of the vessels. At the same time can be compromised the stability of the affected spinal segment.
In the case of rupture of the fibrous ring with a protrusion of part of nucleus pulposus while preserving the connection with the substance of the nucleus develops prolapse disc into the spinal canal. In this case we are talking about intervertebral hernia.
Development of protrusion of the intervertebral discs can be caused by a number of reasons:
- physical inactivity;
- long forced being in the same position;
- insufficient development of the muscles of the back;
- poor posture;
- injuries of the spine (also micro);
- the increased load on the spine (in the home, during sports);
- sharp movements (tilts, rotations) in the process of lifting;
- age-related changes;
- violation of metabolic processes;
- excess weight;
- associated with spine pathologies: osteochondrosis, scoliosis, osteoporosis, lordosis, kyphosis.
The clinical picture
Symptoms of disk protrusion determined by the specific pathology of the disc. To irritation of the roots or fibres of the nerves, the disease occurs without significant symptoms. Typically, there is only a slight pain in the affected area, which later joins a violation of the sensitivity.
The severity of symptoms is determined by the following factors:
- the causes of the disease;
- localization of the modified disk;
- the degree of irritation of the nerve roots and spinal cord.
There are certain symptoms that indicate the presence of degenerative changes in the intervertebral discs:
- pain acute or chronic nature of the cervical, thoracic or lumbar area;
- strengthening of pain at the sharp bends and result in a long stay in one position;
- migrating or radiating pain;
- loss of elasticity of muscle fibers;
- the weakening of muscles;
- some numbness of the limbs: tingling or pins and needles;
- stiffness in the affected Department;
- burning sensation;
- the deterioration of hearing, vision;
The types protrusion and the characteristics of their symptoms
Depending on the specific localization of degenerative changes, there are three varieties of the disease:
- disc protrusion of the cervical spine;
- protrusion of the thoracic;
- protrusion the lumbar.
Localization of pathology in the cervical spine
The neck is very flexible, and the discs of the spine should provide sufficient flexibility and mobility movements, stable position of the head.
Developing in the cervical protrusion often lead to complications and cause overloading of the spine and the appearance of the lesions of multiple character with the subsequent transition to a hernia. As a result of compression of nerve roots or spinal cord are manifested the following characteristics:
- acute or nagging pain of a local character;
- a certain limitation of the cervical;
- pain radiating along the arms or in the shoulder blade;
- tingling or numbness of the upper extremities;
- muscle weakness in the arm or shoulder;
- increase in blood pressure.
Protrusion in the thoracic
Localization of protrusion in the thoracic region is quite rare. This is due to the small mobility of vertebrae of this division and the absence of increased stress on the discs. However, in the thoracic part has a certain amount of movements, and degeneration process of the disc can lead to the development of the disease. Specific symptoms determined by the localization of the pathological process and the degree of nerve compression. It can be:
- pain concentrated in the middle part of the back;
- stiffness or soreness of the affected area;
- pain, tingling, numbness in the abdomen or chest;
- the weakening forming the abdominal press muscles;
- the pain is localised in the intercostal space, between the shoulder blades or the region of the heart;
- certain violations from the side of the chest, abdominal cavity.
Peculiarities of protrusion of lumbar
Protrusion of the lumbar are the most common type of this disease, because of the significant range of motion and considerable load experienced by this portion of the spine, owing to which the discs more susceptible to damage, especially against the background of age-related changes.
Symptoms of lumbar disc protrusion is mostly associated with the compression of the sciatic nerve. This:
- stiffness in the lumbar region;
- pain of a chronic nature, often radiating to the leg or buttocks;
- muscle weakness of thighs and calves;
- sciatica lumbosacral type;
- pain in the toes, feet, and their tingling or numbness;
- loss of sensation of the lower legs, the back of the thigh, sometimes groin;
- severe – violation of urination and problems with sexual sphere.
The main treatment methods
Treatment of protrusion of intervertebral disks occurs mainly with the use of conservative methods to relieve pain, swelling, restoration of sensitivity and functions of the affected areas of the spine.
1. Drug treatment involves the use of the following drugs:
- analgesics to eliminate pain syndrome;
- muscle relaxants – relaxes muscles;
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications to relieve inflammation and reduce compression of the nerve endings;
- chondroprotectors (restore the affected cartilage surface);
- biogenic stimulants and vitamin complexes.
2. To relieve increased pressure on the discs, restore muscle tone and normal functioning of the spine use extrusion method, then use therapeutic exercise and physiotherapy.
3.Physical activities include:
- therapeutic massage;
- shiatsu massage;
- segmental reflex massage;
- manual therapy;
- classic type of massage;
4. Surgery is an extreme measure and is practised when large amounts of protrusion (5 mm and more) and ineffective conservative treatment. In the course of the operation is removal of the affected portion of the intervertebral disc.
That offers Tibetan medicine?
Honors treatment of this pathology methods of Oriental medicine is the rejection of drug therapy, provoking a number of undesirable consequences.
The complex of measures. The process begins with pain by eliminating muscle spasm. For this purpose, use an intensive acupressure and acupuncture.
As a result, the affected areas stimulates circulation, restores tissue nutrition, accelerate metabolism within the discs, which occurs due to their gradual recovery.
Other methods of treatment of disk protrusion offered by Tibetan medicine are:
- vacuum therapy;
- stone therapy;
The implementation of these procedures facilitates:
- stimulation of metabolic processes;
- blood flow to the affected tissues;
- the elimination of energy and muscular blocks;
- to eliminate stagnation;
- the inclusion of the natural mechanisms of healing and recovery disks.