Protrusion of the cervical spine: causes symptoms and treatments
Protrusion of the cervical spine: symptoms and treatment
Protrusion of the cervical is a disease of the spine that occurs due to protrusion of the intervertebral disc due to degenerative-dystrophic processes and being of a progressive nature.
The pathology develops slowly and initially does not manifest any symptoms. The main enemy of the intervertebral discs, is dehydration, which occurs as a result of aging.
Evident protrusion due to the decrease in the strength of the walls of the discs, the nucleus pulposus begins to exert pressure on the ring cartilage, and then bulges out. The size of the protrusion in the neck is 1-5 mm, and in the dorsal division from 1 to 12 mm.
The reasons for the development of the disease
Protrusion in the cervical spine may occur after a traumatic impact to the neck, muscle strain, fractures and severe congestion. The main reasons for the development of the disease also include:
- Lordosis (curvature of the spine backward);
- Kyphosis (curvature of the spine forward);
- Scoliosis (curvature of the spine to the side);
- Osteoporosis (brittle bones).
The neck is a little reserved and subtle part of the back, it collects the nerve roots, which makes this area very vulnerable. As a result, the protrusion in the cervical spine is the most dangerous state in relation to its occurrence in other areas of the spine.
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Typical symptoms begin to manifest in the later stages of the disease, when the disk reaches a considerable degree of convexity. They can have:
- Sleep disturbance and irritability;
- Reduction of mental activity and headaches;
- Weakening of hand muscles, which is manifested by feeling of weakness when you perform regular exercise;
- Feelings of pins and needles in upper limbs, or loss of sensitivity (possible with one hand or two);
- Frequent pain in the neck, radiating to interscapular area, ear, shoulder or arm.
Some patients revealed a non-permanent increase in the level of pressure – compensatory hypertension. This happens because of the desire of the body to maintain the volume of blood flowing through the cerebral vessels. On the background of the disease they may be affected secondarily as a result of pathological changes.
The symptoms are protrusion of the cervical spine also depend on the severity of the pathology that develops in 3 stages:
- Under the influence of the constant squeezing of the disc, there is a flattening of the nucleus pulposus and fibrous ring structure becomes loose;
- Disk 4 mm flows into the spinal canal;
- Violated the integrity of the annulus and subsequently partially falls pulpose substance.
In the end, you receive a herniated disc of the cervical spine, symptoms of which begins to feel people.
Diagnosis of the disease
Before prescribing treatment, the doctor needs to diagnose the patient. It is necessary to exclude other diseases showing similar symptoms, as well as to achieve the maximum positive results in the treatment. As diagnostics are assigned the following research methods:
- Computed tomography (CT);
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). With this method you can get all the information about the disease. It is safe and more informative than CT.
With timely assistance to get rid of the protrusion observed in 9 cases out of 10.
Methods of treatment
The treatment is based on the use of all therapeutic measures in the complex. This approach gives more effective results. The main methods of treatment of protrusion of cervical spine include:
This trend is symptomatic, and be enrolled as an additional measure. As medications pain medications are assigned and funds are included in the group of non-steroidal. Shown for the General strengthening of the organism Immunostimulants, minerals, vitamin complexes, which is determined by a physician taking into account the stage of the disease. These medicines include:
- Some cyclobenzaprine;
You should not take medicines without appointment of a qualified specialist in this field.
This method is used to stimulate circulation and metabolic processes in the tissues affected. The most effective procedures in this area are:
- Magnetic therapy;
This method of treatment it is better to use after a period of exacerbation.
Massage, and physiotherapy is not recommended in the period of exacerbation of the disease. When expressed clinical manifestations can be massaged only the hands, shoulders, and breast area. When the acute event ends, possible neck massage which firming effect on the neck muscular frame and helps to restore the original position of the disc, however, reducing the size of the protrusion.
During the massage, vertebrae trying to protect the nerve root from compression in the future, «however,» the symptoms may be aggravated even by a slight movement of the vertebrae that occurs when pressure is applied.
This technique helps to strengthen the muscle tissue in the cervical spine. During the lessons a set of exercises aimed at the implementation of trunk bending in both directions, pulling the chin to the sternum and tilting back of the head.
During class, you cannot make sudden and strong head movements.
Here are some of them:
- Standing in front of a mirror to direct the head forward, shoulders back a little to take. Tilt your chin down until you feel a light stretch in the front part of the neck. After this, the chin should stretch and move it a bit back, increasing the stretch. In this position, you need to stay, counting to two and then return to the starting position. Do 10 reps;
- Standing straight we need to get the shoulders back a little and relax your neck muscles, then slowly lift the chin up and lower down. Stay in this position for 15 seconds. then return to the original position. Repeat 5 times;
- Put your hands behind your back and twist between the fingers, then lift your hands upward until you feel the stretch in the anterior shoulder and remain so for 10 seconds. Return to the starting position and do the exercise 2 more times;
- Standing straight to put legs apart and eyes forward, bend arms in elbow joints trying to get the hands to the clavicle. Pull in the elbows and take back the shoulders, imagining that the blades touch each other, breathe deep and 20 sec. stay in this position to finish the exercise and do 3 more times.
Physiotherapy can be carried out during the exacerbation, as the treatment involves gentle exercise. Run them under the supervision of a specialist – it would be more efficient and lead to rapid recovery. The set of exercises is chosen by the doctor, each separately, depending on the stage and severity of the disease.
In addition to these treatment methods is used a lot and others that its effect activates metabolic processes, improving blood circulation and eliminating obstacles of energy and muscular character in the struggle with stagnation, which are formed in the spine. Thanks to the mechanism of their action restores the normal function of the intervertebral discs. These methods include:
- Stone therapy;
- Vacuum therapy.
In the case of ineffectiveness of the above measures, surgical treatment. Medicine of our time has a new quality methodology called «Laser valorisation». The essence of this treatment is fractional laser removal of the nucleus pulposus, thereby decreasing the size of the disk. As a result of this procedure, it returns to its original position.
Problems in the treatment of disease
The main problem in the treatment of disc protrusion of the cervical spine is the inability to ensure the division’s long rest, because it is in the spine is the most mobile. In this regard, the doctor is looking for any way to pull and fix the spine, it is necessary to impose on the neck a special collar, which relieves additional pressure from the affected disc.
Prevention of the disease
As prevention, you must perform the following recommendations:
- To be able to lift heavy objects;
- To monitor the posture (how to hold);
- Do not smoke;
- Watch your weight;
- To eat right, in order to provide the body toning the body and also immunity;
- Regularly exercise to strengthen the muscles of the neck and back.
To achieve the desired result in the treatment is possible only with the help of a qualified professional who will prescribe proper treatment and will keep it under control until complete recovery of the patient.
With regular exercise the body will remain in physically good shape. The correct posture will give a significant delay of age wears all organs, including the fibrous tissue of the intervertebral discs of the Department.