Radicular lumbar syndrome — symptoms and treatment
Radicular lumbar syndrome as a symptom of diseases of the spine
Radicular lumbar syndrome — complex of symptoms resulting from compression of spinal nerves where they branch from the spinal cord.
The syndrome is a symptom of various diseases, which is why it is important to identify and appoint competent treatment.
It is observed quite often. The compression of nerves provokes pain, which can occur in different places: in the limbs, neck, lower back. The pain may occur in the region of the internal organs.
Causes of the syndrome
The damage may be caused by a number of conditions:
- a herniated vertebra;
- birth defects of the spine;
- regular overload of the spine;
- a sedentary lifestyle;
- damage, scarring and swelling;
- vertebral fractures due to osteoporosis;
- hormonal changes;
Mainly radicular syndrome of the lumbar spine is not manifested immediately after exposure to reason.
It is preceded by changes in the vertebral discs, causing hernias.
Hernia with displacement compresses the spine, causing problems with the outflow of venous blood, which is manifested by inflammation. Thus, the nerve and tissue around him begin to surround the spikes.
- an unbalanced diet;
- workers of harm;
- the harmful effects;
- the increase in axial load on the individual parts of the spine.
What are the symptoms of
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The first symptom is pain along the course of the affected nerve.
Thus, the observed process causes pain in the lower back, buttocks, legs etc. Pain increases when lifting heavy or when driving.
Sometimes the pain in the form of crosses, which irradiiruet in different parts of the body. Backache in the lower back is called lumbago.
The pain, though constant properties, but it increases with each careless movement.
To call such attacks may be physical or mental stress, hypothermia. Sometimes discomfort appears in a dream by night, combined with swelling and redness of the skin.
Also radicular syndrome of lumbar has the following characteristic symptoms:
- Impaired sensitivity at the site of innervation of this nerve: tingling needle gives the opportunity to see a significant reduction in sensitivity in comparison with the same part on the other side.
- Violation of movements because of changes in muscles and nerves. Muscles shrink, weaken. In some cases, it is visually noticeable, especially if you compare both limbs.
In connection with a variety of causes of lesions of the patient should be evaluated, and only then prescribe treatment. To determine the cause of the infringement is an x-ray or magnetic tomography.
Through studies of motor activity determined by disturbances in the muscles innervated by this nerve.
Extras can be:
- analysis of blood, urine;
- blood biochemistry;
- other methods indicated.
The treatment of the disease
When the diagnosis of radicular syndrome lumbar treatment should start with strict bed rest.
- Analgesics (ketorol, baralgin – in the form of injections) is to neutralize the pain; in severe pain may be prescribed novocaine blockade.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents – to neutralize inflammation. These medications can be prescribed in tablets or injections (Movalis, nimesulide), in the form of ointment (Ketonal cream).
- Also appointed ointment with an analgesic effect (all), you can use them instead of the pepper patch.
- Muscle relaxants is required to neutralize muscle spasm (mydocalm, sirdalud).
- B vitamins (neuromultivit, milgamma) – to increase metabolic processes in the nervous tissues.
- Chondroprotectors (teraflex, alflutop) – stops the destruction of cartilage in the spinal joints and stimulate their recovery.
Additional techniques worth noting:
- Diet – no fatty, salty, smoked and spicy foods at the time of treatment.
- Physical therapy is used only after the acute phase of the disorder (magnetotherapy, ultrasound).
- Physical therapy – helps strengthen muscles and normalize motor activity of the patient.
- Massage restores blood flow and strengthens the back muscles.
- Acupuncture relieves pain, is a safe procedure with hardly any side effects.
- Chiropractic allows you to neutralize the pain and muscle spasm; increase the flexibility of the spine and mobility in the joints of the limbs; to reduce the hernial protrusion; «put in place» a displaced vertebra. Implementation should be entrusted only to doctors of the corresponding specialty.
Surgical treatment of the syndrome is needed in complicated cases with severe associative disorder (paralysis, disturbance of the organs of the pelvis).
The operation consists in the excision of the tumor or herniated disk pressing on the nerve. Preference is given to low-impact methods.
Widely nucleoplasty is a minimally invasive surgery. The doctor, using energy plasma fields, can accurately and gradually excise the tissue of the disk. The procedure is safe, because there is a small risk of damage to surrounding tissues.
The best results are observed when treating patients with disc protrusion. During extrusion of the disc produce a microdiscectomy is a microsurgical excision of the hernia.
Complications of hernia of vertebral disc.
These include spinal cord compression, resulting in numbness, weakness of certain muscles of the limbs, causing paralysis, muscular atrophy, disorders of urination and defecation.
Herniation can cause compression of the arteries supplying the spinal cord, with the advent of sites with loss of nerve cells. It triggers the appearance of neurological deficit.
The main methods should include:
- reducing the load on the spine;
- strengthening back muscles through massage and special physical training;
- normalization of weight;
- proper nutrition;
- wearing comfortable shoes.