Recovery and rehabilitation after back surgery
The basic rules and techniques of rehabilitation after back surgery
Surgery on the spinal column intended to immobilize the underlying cause.
Recovery after surgery is to return the person to normal life and is an equally important part of the whole complex of treatment.
Failure to comply with the rules of rehabilitation the situation is worsening day by day.
When surgery is required
Surgery is required when:
- the compression of nerves causing pain;
- scoliosis with an angle of curvature greater than 40 degrees;
- progressive curvature of the spine;
- deformations of the spine, which compressed the internal organs;
- pronounced defect in appearance of a bump;
- some fractures of the spine;
- the development of spinal instability;
- vertebral hernias with ruptures and inflammation of the nerves.
Types of interventions:
- discectomy — excision of the herniated disc;
- laminectomy — removal of bone located above the spinal canal;
- fusion — the merging of several bones of the spine;
- vertebroplasty — introduction of bone cement into the affected vertebrae;
- the implantation of artificial discs.
What is the torticollis in infants and what you need to know in order not to aggravate the health of the baby in such a situation.
Why the need for rehabilitation after back surgery
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Recovery after the intervention a set of activities prescribed by the attending doctor.
Only an experienced doctor will help organize such events. Without the implementation of proper rehabilitation process takes many months. Suffering patient himself and his relatives. Self-medication can provoke irreversible consequences.
The main goal of rehabilitation – the improvement of one’s confidence and ability to move independently, to do standard things.
Recovery after the procedure helps to quickly adapt to limited opportunities. We cannot neglect them even with minor neurological abnormalities.
Rehabilitation and restorative treatment
Rehabilitation measures consist of the prescription of drugs, physical therapy, massage, medical gymnastics, manual therapy, acupuncture and Spa treatment.
In addition, the patient should maintain a healthy lifestyle, do not lift weights, avoid hypothermia, stress, prolonged monotonous work in the same position, keep your weight, not to do sharp movements on non-trained muscles.
The main goals and objectives
Rehabilitation after the intervention on the spinal column aims to neutralize the effects of forced compensation from abnormal loads on the axial and peripheral skeleton parts together with wrong stereotypes, formed in human years.
The choice of techniques
A set of methods, actions and techniques depends on the course of the disease, characteristics of the organism and duration of conservative treatment.
Since the latter without the neutralization of the main reasons for violations is symptomatic, and therefore provokes the emergence of compensatory pathological rearrangements.
Rehabilitation begins almost immediately after surgery, whether issecheny hernia of the spine or any other interference.
Doctor examines a patient. After analysis of the responses of the patient and physical examination, the Clinician should determine the best way to help.
Next, you will developed a treatment plan consisting of different routines and exercises that will help you recover, reduce pain, allow you to perform daily activities. The plan also includes a prognosis, which will try to reach the doctor together with the patient after the carried out treatment.
Restoration is carried out in three stages:
- The first is the neutralization of pain, paresis, numbness, and compensation of imbalances of the body.
- The second focused on combating restrictions and the normalization of the General condition.
- Third — to restore the integrity and strength of the musculoskeletal system, elimination of restrictions for physical education classes.
A positive result can only be achieved with associative approach. The standard treatment requires time and mostly lasts from 3 to 12 months.
The sooner a person begins rehabilitation after surgery, the faster will be the process.
Such events are, in principle, have the effect in the situation when between procedure and rehabilitation.
Modern medicine offers a large Arsenal of recovery methods.
The main methods include:
- Physiotherapy. Not yet invented a more effective method of recovery after surgery. As you know, one of the most unpleasant consequences of the intervention – the violation of the mobility and, as a result, problems with blood circulation. Exercises normalize the muscle tone, blood flow and help to get back to normal.
- Physiotherapy is treatment by heat, cold, ultrasound, electric current, magnetic field, laser. She activates the healing processes of wounds and will neutralize the pain, restores blood circulation in tissues. After the procedure the patient is forced to lie long or to sit. To reduce the effects of long immobility, use special equipment, in which a person may take a vertical position.
- Medical massage is useful in many disorders of the body. It allows you to restore sensitivity, to restore blood flow to avoid pressure sores and to develop weak muscles.
- Extremely important stage of any rehabilitation program is the adaptation to life after the manipulation. All of the methods can eliminate the physical effects, but to return to normal life is not enough. After the intervention the person will have to re-adjust to everyday life. This task is performed by the occupational therapy that helps the patient to regain the ability to self.
- Recovery includes therapy, because lesions of the spine can significantly change the standard way of life and become a serious test for emotional state.
- The impact of acupuncture improves the innervation of the musculoskeletal system, normalizes the work of all systems, accelerates rehabilitation after injuries and operations.
- Myostimulation. Effect of pulsed current, restores, improves the nervous system and the heart, prevents atrophy of muscles, accelerates recovery after prolonged immobility.
- Mineral water treatment improves the immune system. Massage showers with mineral water is extremely useful in patients with lesions of the musculoskeletal apparatus.
- Wearing a special corset reduces the load on the discs and joints, muscles, ligaments. For the problem of the spine is useful wearing corsets in continued 2 months after surgery.
- There is a dry, underwater, vertical and horizontal traction of the spine. Its essence is in the stretching of the elastic tissues and joints of the spine due to the severity of the body or additional weights. These treatments relax the muscles, increase range of motion and mobility of the spine.
Thus, the recovery period need to be taken very seriously. Even if the person will need to abandon the individual components of lifestyle, in this situation, it’s the little things.