Spondylosis deformans of the cervical spine
Spondylosis of the cervical spine: symptoms and treatment
Spondylosis is a disease which causes changes in the discs and joints of the cervical spine. The deformation of the vertebrae, growth of bone tissue in the form of growths, which degenerate in the future there is a narrowing of the spinal canal, intervertebral foramen.
With the expansion of the spinous processes (osteophytes) reduces the mobility of the vertebrae, lose their flexibility. The growth of osteophytes can lead to the merging of adjacent vertebrae. Spondylosis often develops in elderly people and is chronic. . Accompanied by a nagging, dull pain in the damaged part of the spine.
The most common is cervical spondylosis, the spine is the most mobile and therefore very often it is observed bone changes.
The causes that provoke the development of the disease
There are a number of reasons which singly or in combination lead to the development of deforming spondylosis of the cervical spine:
- long stay in a sitting position, with the posture;
- injuries of the spine;
- excessive exercise;
- low back pain – the intervertebral discs lose their elasticity and the metabolism. To compensate, the body forms the sides of the vertebral discs;
- flat feet;
- inflammation of the joints;
- age-related changes. Early spondylosis, which can result in 20-40 years, provoking great physical exertion;
- genetic predisposition.
Symptoms of the disease
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The symptoms of cervical spondylosis are very characteristic features:
- pain in shoulders and neck, which may be permanent or appear at night. The pain is felt in a fixed position, hampered the mobility of the neck, increased pain when turning the head, pain in the shoulder joint from the outside. Due to the compression of nerve endings pain spreading to the arm. Can also feel tingling and numbness of the limbs;
- pain extending to the ears, eyes and is accompanied by disturbances of vision and hearing to a fixed position of the head and neck;
- difficult turns and head tilts;
- loss of sensation of the neck;
- weakness of the neck muscles.
- crunch and discomfort in the neck;
- in the back of the neck pain that spreads to the head and the occipital. Increased pain in the morning and afternoon;
In addition, patients can not find a comfortable position for sleep, pain and discomfort in the cervical spine frequently Wake up. Via awkward position, an additional strain on the ligaments and joints of the cervical spine and discomfort worse.
When pressing the rear part of the intervertebral joint, if the head of the sick person to tilt back, the pain is felt.
In case of advanced cervical spondylosis with possible muscle atrophy, loss of muscle mass. In cases of spinal cord – spasm in the muscles of the limbs, difficulty walking, difficulty urinating.
Measures for cure of the disease
Cervical spondylosis is an irreversible process of aging but it is imperative to improve the patient’s condition and prevent the development of complications. Thus, a comprehensive treatment of spondylosis of the cervical spine looks like this:
Drug treatment of the disease
- for pain take anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, diclofenac).
- to limit movement of the neck with a neck corset, collar;
- to perform special exercises to strengthen shoulder and neck muscles, effective aerobics in the water.
When treating severe cases you need to:
- compliance with bed rest for a complete elimination of the movement of the neck and to reduce pressure on the nerve endings;
- local anesthesia;
- spasms in the muscles need to take muscle relaxants – some cyclobenzaprine, Methocarbamol, in acute pain drugs.
During exacerbation of the disease apply medication – anti-inflammatory and pain relievers. Treatment is focused on relief of the General condition of the patient, eliminating pain, strengthening the muscles of the neck and unloading of the cervical.
Muscle spasm or pain syndrome can help relieve muscle relaxants (some cyclobenzaprine and tizanidine) to eliminate severe pain used analgesics (tramadol), or drugs.
Good analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, diclofenac voltaren, Movalis), but they do not stop the process of formation of bone tissue and the cause of the disease.
For the treatment of chronic disease is used antidepressants. Long-term practice has proved that the use of tricyclic antidepressants, including amitriptyline (Elavil) and doxepin (Sinikan), in small doses, is very effective for the treatment of chronic pain. Not so long ago began to use the antidepressant DULOXETINE (Cymbalta). A significant effect is the use of ointments with the content of capsaicin.
For the treatment of cervical spondylosis one medical technique is not enough, the complex is necessary to apply therapeutic exercise, massage and physical therapy.
Correct massage techniques in spondylosis neck
Great importance is therapeutic massage, which has the following objectives:
- improvement of blood circulation in the neck, spine and back muscles;
- reducing the severity of pain;
- the removal of excessive muscle tension in the neck and back;
- strengthening muscles.
The clinical picture of the disease and the stage of the disease determines the method of performing massage, which is developed individually for every sick person, given his condition. In the acute stage of the disease massage is contraindicated.
The massage starts with classical strokes, then proceed to the rubbing and kneading of muscle tissue. Duration of massage for 15-20 minutes. In 15-20 sessions eliminated the pain. It is necessary to exclude a beating, severe depression and other traumatic techniques.
Before doing massage, you should inform the doctor about the presence of other diseases, as they can be a contraindication for such procedures.
Very effective method, which can reduce pain and improve microcirculation in the tissues of the spine.
Benefits of physiotherapy:
- affects the outbreak of the disease, while not affecting adjacent organs;
- not contribute to the exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- does not cause allergic reactions;
- no side effects;
- accelerates the healing process.
Treatment with physiotherapy allows you to:
- to relieve pain and to stop inflammatory process;
- to facilitate and increase movement of the spine;
- to reduce muscle tension;
- relieve emotional tension;
- boost immunity;
- contribute to the normalization of blood circulation in the tissues;
- to speed up the recovery process;
- to improve the General condition.
Physiotherapy of spondylosis may include electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, the effect of ultrasound, vibration treatment, electrotherapy, shock wave therapy, laser therapy, Detensor-therapy, ultraviolet irradiation, balneotherapy hirudotherapy.
Contraindications of physiotherapy:
- acute and severe General illness;
- diseases of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems;
- diseases of the liver and kidneys;
- skin diseases;
- the aggravation of mental disorders;
The method of physiotherapy treatment applied during remission. Treatment is recommended only as directed by your doctor, taking into account all individual characteristics of the organism.
Physiotherapy: rules of performance of exercises
In this disease it is necessary to exclude sharp movements of the head and neck, to limit excessive loads. The systematic exercise improves the blood circulation in the cervical spine, the muscles are in tone, and preserved mobility of the spine.
All exercises should be done at maximum unloading of the spine, that is, in the supine position or, alternatively, on all fours. If the pain is not severe, the exercises can be performed standing up.
The entire course of physical therapy aimed at reducing the load on the spine.
Exercises for the cervical spine in spondylosis:
- The head tilts right and left, the arm along the trunk goes down.
- Starting position – hands on his head. While exhaling, tilt your head forward touching the chin to the sternum, breath in – its original position, raise the head.
- Starting position – stand upright, feet shoulder width apart. Lift the shoulders and in a hunched position stand 2-5 seconds.
- The implementation of circular spins only with the shoulders, palms pressed along the body.
- Alternately to connect the hands behind the back near the shoulder blades.
How dangerous is cervical spondylosis calving
In most cases with cervical spondylosis vascular disorders that result in vertigo, ringing and noise in the ears, increased pressure, headaches, blurred vision.
With the growth of osteophytes the spinal canal becomes more narrow, prejudiced artery, nerves. There is a constant pain and numbness of the lower extremities. Cervical spondylosis is the cause of development of intervertebral hernias.
Spondylosis is a degenerative process and so far there is no treatment that is guaranteed to stop such pathological processes. But the systematic monitoring and treatment will help to stabilize the condition and functionality of the spine.