Sprain hand: treating hand trauma, shoulder joint and other
First aid and treatment after stretching ligaments in the hand
Pain and restricted movement in the upper limbs indicates injury.
The most common are sprains of the hand.
They are exposed not only to the athletes, Teens and children, leading an active lifestyle, and Mature and elderly.
From the problem no one is immune.
Anatomy of the hand
All interactions with the outside world a person carries out through the upper limbs – hands.
They constantly undergo wear, their functionality is very high. Signals from the muscles and ligaments of the upper limb, quickly enter the brain, which reacts and responds immediately with a response, so the structure of the hand deserves special consideration.
Hands covered on the outside with a protective fabric leather. Their internal structure consists of veins, arteries, blood vessels, bones, joints, muscles and ligaments.
Conventionally, the hand is divided into shoulder, forearm, wrist, wrist.
Arm muscles – shoulder muscles (biceps called biceps, and triceps – triceps), forearm, wrist.
The main burden is the longest muscle of the shoulder. Thanks to them, a person can move the hand, to lift weights, to do strength training.
Ligaments and tendons support the movable parts of the body, perform movements of a limb within a reasonable, direct the movement and strengthen bones and joints.
Happen why stretching?
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
A sprain is micronutri fibers. If you continue to load, ignoring the intense pain, a sprain can lead to rupture, and this is a serious problem.
What causes the sprain on hand:
- fall on the outstretched hand (the load on the muscle exceeds the permitted limit);
- a sharp blow with the hand.
- raising large weights;
- sharp swings arms (circular);
- excessive use of corticosteroids, which reduce the elasticity of the muscle tissue;
- bone and joint growth of the osteophytes;
- when parents are sharply pull the hand of the child;
- with constant repetition of the same movements (knitting) etc.
Stretching your arms: what you mean?
Under the General diagnosis of «stretching his arms» experts involve more specific injuries: sprains of the hand, shoulder, elbow and even fingers.
The mechanism of injury in all of the following strains: overstretched muscles and ligaments of the hands leads to micro-fractures – sprains.
Thus acute pain, swelling, bruising, increased temperature in the region of the injured area.
Signs of trauma
Symptoms when you sprain hands are different depending on locations:
- Stretching of the brush. Problems arise in the area of the hand and wrist, as the ligaments connecting them to the joint. To the standard set of symptoms can be added to the uncontrolled mobility of the joints, that is, the brush can with the back almost touching the wrist or thumb can reach it.
- Stretching of the shoulder. This refers to the microdamages of the shoulder muscles. In addition to pain, swelling and redness can be visible specific hematoma. Often it’s only a sprain in the shoulder area leads to torn muscles and dislocated joints. Seek help from a doctor.
- Sprain of the elbow. Pain with this injury usually appear immediately. Restricted movement of the joints. With a small abduction of the shoulder is enhanced. The elbow can be observed by touching the seal, and in the forearm – offset.
- Stretching the fingers. Happen during sudden movements or lifting heavy weights, failing to open a jar or to catch the ball. At the time of injury is heard the crackle. Pain strong. Can disappear when convenient for the joints. There are bruises, swelling. Possible immobility of the affected finger or, on the contrary, unnatural mobility. The pain may spread to the arm.
The degree of stretching
Muscles and ligaments may be three degrees of severity of sprain:
- The first is easy: insignificant painful sensations, motor function of the joints can be limited not completely.
- The second, middle movement limited to, severe pain, possible swelling, bruising.
- Third, severe: unbearable pain, the tendon is torn more than the disease, there is a significant hematoma, movement in the joints is missing. The last and third stage may be accompanied by dislocation.
Stretch or break?
From breaking stretching will differ only by a specialist.
At first glance, yourself, define it under force by the following features:
- when you break the joint pain occurs even at rest;
- inability to bend-unbend or straighten the arm or finger;
- the change in the contour of the joint;
- feeling numb, tingling at the site of injury;
- clicking, crunching when you try to activate the joint.
Diagnosis of injury
To diagnose a sprain need in order to exclude the possibility of more serious damage, rupture, dislocation, fracture, etc., as well as to determine the severity of the injury.
To examine the patient needs the doctor. As diagnostic methods are used MRI, CT, fluoroscopy.
In particularly difficult cases, arthroscopy (a surgical intervention).
What to do when you sprain hand to facilitate the victim’s condition until it is inspected by the doctor?
You can use the following manipulations:
- Overlay tight bandages to the damaged area. If there is a possibility of more serious injury, the bandage needs to fix at least two joint.
- Make an ice compress helps to relieve the swelling.
- The victim’s hand tie with a handkerchief or scarf to immobilize.
The goal of treatment is the prevention of more severe forms of stretching hands or further progression and development of other injuries.
At the third stage, the injury can be carried out surgery, getting a cast, or even inpatient treatment.
To two weeks is the treatment of first or second degree sprain. It is held at home.
Are treated at home
Conservative treatment at home when you sprain hand:
- Use gels and ointments, removes inflammation (diclofenac or indomethacin).
- In the acute form of stretching you can take anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by your doctor. In particularly difficult situations rubbed glucocorticoid ointment. Their use must be agreed with the medics, as drugs are made on the basis of hormones.
- Electrophoresis, UHF will be able to remove the pain symptoms. After improvement of hand, it is possible to perform therapeutic exercises.
- Apply cold water bottle, then impose a pressure bandage which is not removed for at least a week.
- A hand massage up to 15 minutes also contribute to a speedy recovery. Conduct them after removal of the dressing.
Traditional methods of treatment
Tested folk remedies can improve the symptoms of sprain of the hand. Such methods can create an alternative medicines on the first or second stage, or when no medicines:
- A compress of onion (1 clove) and sugar (2 teaspoons). The ingredients are ground, mix, then apply the slurry for 6 hours under dressing. After removing the compress the affected area moistened with cream.
- Under the bandage is applied with essential oils – lavender, calendula and others.
- Aloe leaves (5-6 pieces) are ground with honey (1 tbsp) in the form of a slurry is applied up to 5 hours as a compress. But remember that if you are allergic to the med this procedure can not be performed.
- Elderberry leaves are crushed and applied as a compress. Up to three times a day is recommended to use this treatment.
Methods of treatment folk remedies numerous.
You need to use common sense, availability of ingredients and personal their portability.
The duration of healing and rehabilitation
If the sprain hand mild, recovery can occur in two to three weeks. Particularly severe form can occur up to several months.
- After removing the bandage you need to limit movement for 2 – 4 weeks.
- Applying cold compress for several hours, then warming. Due to the contrasting temperature changes is much more active blood circulation, faster recovery processes occur. It promotes a speedy recovery.
- Special developing exercises, conducting fizkabinet.
- A mandatory condition of rehabilitation is moderate strain on the ligaments of the hands.
The effects of stretching
If not treated stretching, it can become chronic, exacerbating the condition of muscles and compartmentalization functionality.
Severe forms that have not begun to heal, may also have related sprains, even fractures, torn ligaments. All of this can lead to disability.
Prevention of injuries of the ligamentous apparatus
From sudden drops and unexpected shocks no one is safe, but preventive measures significantly increase the chance to avoid sprain hand:
- execution of joint exercises;
- quitting Smoking which impairs metabolism and muscle elasticity;
- reasonable lifting and carrying heavy loads;
- use for loads with elastic bandage;
- maintain small children by the hand without any sudden movements;
- developing the ability to fall in the.
Sprain of the hands may occur due to a bad fall, sudden movement or an unbalanced distribution of weight. In acute pain, swelling, limited movement in the joints it is better to contact the clinic.
Before visiting the doctor should make a cold compress and apply tight, but not too pressure bandage, and then hang the injured arm with a scarf or kerchief.
The sooner treatment begins, the sooner people will get rid of such trouble, like a sprain.