Subluxation cervical vertebra: symptoms, treatment and consequences
The symptoms and treatment of subluxation of cervical vertebra
Subluxation cervical vertebra is called the displacement of the vertebrae, without rupture of the ligaments. To the cervical spine includes the first 7 vertebrae, and the injury inherent in the nearby couples. In each vertebra there are small holes, which together form the intervertebral canal.
This channel protects the blood vessels involved in cerebral blood flow, and branches of spinal nerves from external mechanical damage.
The displacement of the vertebrae compressed vessels and nerve endings, which leads to insufficient supply of oxygen to the brain and dysfunction of the peripheral nervous system. The consequences of subluxation of cervical vertebrae can be irreversible and very sad!
A neck injury
The most unstable position for the vertebrae is tilting the head forward, the vertebrae hold here, mainly due to the coupling of the joints and muscles of the neck, so the mechanical action in such a situation may lead to subluxation or even dislocation of the cervical vertebra.
This can happen when hitting the ball head, or when his head hit the windshield or steering wheel in an accident and when you fall down, even from a small height.
Alarming symptoms that may indicate a subluxation
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Not always subluxation of the cervical vertebra painful, and the symptoms manifest themselves gradually, and often they are difficult to tie together because of their qualitative differences. It can be:
- severe headaches;
- the deterioration in the quality of sleep;
- strong irritability;
- develops muscle weakness;
- noise in the ears;
- numbness and pain in the limbs;
- loss of sensation in some parts of the limbs;
- tingling in the shoulder girdle, possible convulsions;
- blurred vision;
- back pain;
- can develop unilateral paralysis.
Diagnostic steps for the identification of trauma
Diagnosis begins with an initial examination, the doctor will ask the patient to do some movements, depending on which symptoms led to the survey, followed by probing of the neck and specialized diagnostic analysis. For the diagnosis of subluxation of the cervical vertebra use different types of radiographic studies.
- Spondylography – allows you to see the condition of the vertebrae and of the intervertebral joints and discs. If that’s not enough, then use other types of radiographs.
- Oblique radiographs necessary for better visibility articular processes, intervertebral holes. Occurs when tilting the head in the direction of approximately 45°.
- The x-ray through the mouth – only this kind of study gives an overview on the first 2 vertebrae, it is important to diagnose rotary subluxation of Atlanta, the first vertebra.
Features of subluxation in children
Many injuries in children and adults differ in the flow and causes. Subluxation of the cervical vertebra in a child is not uncommon because of the immaturity of the joints and tendons, and elasticity of the muscles and can occur even at low mechanical stress. Can occur due to incorrect flow delivery.
In children there are three types of subluxations:
- Kinbaku subluxation is a subluxation of the first vertebrae, caused by violation of the integrity of the second vertebra does not occur often, but has serious implications for the health of the child. You also lose the mobility of the neck, accompanied by pain.
- Rotary subluxation is a common type of injury encountered during sharp turns of the head, kiwanian, spins the head. The main manifestation of rotary subluxation of the cervical vertebra– the formation of torticollis, i.e. the kid tilts his head to ease the pain.
- Active subluxation (pseudopodia) – occurs when there is excessive muscle tone and often resolves on its own without special effects.
Not always parents know about the injuries that a child gets, and the development of pathologies such as scoliosis, or inattention, bad memory not associated with injuries of the cervical vertebrae. A particular challenge with birth injuries, symptoms may begin to appear only a few years.
The right treatment for the neck injury — the key to a fast recovery
Timely and properly rendered first aid will greatly facilitate the process of reduction and subsequent rehabilitation. Upon the slightest suspicion of the emergence of the kind of injury you need to immobilize all the cervical vertebrae. Without special corset is easier to do, putting the victim on a flat surface.
After that it is necessary to impose the tyre, in order to avoid the slightest movements of the head and neck. After the implementation of all procedures of immobilization should be, in order to avoid swelling, cool the affected area with any cold compress.
To transport an injured person by yourself is highly undesirable, it is better to wait for an ambulance.
Do not attempt to reduce a subluxation of your own! Even the doctor does not, without prior definition of the subluxation, its seat and extent.
Thus, all first aid boils down to 2 points:
To reposition the vertebrae developed a number of techniques, which depends on the presence of complications, patient’s age, type of injury.
- The method of Vichuga – applicable for subluxations, not accompanied by complications. Is local anesthesia, whereby is eliminated the pain syndrome and the muscle tone returns to normal. And is either spontaneous reposition of a vertebra, or a little effort, the doctor manually returns the correct position.
- With a loop of Gleason – the patient lies on a hard surface with a slight slope, so that the head is above the body. On chin wearing fabric «loop», which carries the cargo (its weight is calculated individually). The cargo dangling, and there is a gradual stretching of the cervical vertebra. Such reduction can be very lengthy and not always effective.
- Lever way – a one-time reduction to structures. Possible with the use of analgesic drugs or without them.
After reposition any subluxation must be for some time (at least 1 month) to immobilize the damaged area.
It is convenient to do with Trench collars, they are made in different sizes, so everyone can find the most convenient for you.
Such conservative treatment of subluxation of the cervical vertebrae provides a flood of cartilage and muscle tissue, which will not repeat the incident.
For a speedy recovery to use a number of additional procedures.
- Medication assistance. To restore or maintain the optimal level of cerebral circulation appoint a number of drugs, including vitamins of group B. as well As prescribe drugs to stimulate the formation of chondrocytes (cartilage cells).
- Different physiotherapy:
- massage will help relieve tension from the neck muscles, improve blood circulation in them.
- heat treatments – all sorts of warm compresses, to relieve muscle tension;
- ultrasound therapy – its principle lies in the deep penetration of waves into the tissue, there is a «micromassage» of tissues, which positively affects the recovery process;
- electrophoresis – its function in the local heating, i.e. the effect of thermal procedures;
- magnetic therapy leads to local vasodilation, and stimulates the enrichment of oxygen to the brain, speeds up metabolism, which favorably affects the recovery time.
The danger of self-medication
It must be remembered that not only the reduction of subluxation, but the purpose of all procedures should be done only by a qualified technician. It is clear that a clear understanding of how to treat subluxation of the cervical vertebra is only from a specialist and any self-medication can lead to disastrous consequences.
- an attempt to reposition can result in torn ligaments, or a complete dislocation;
- — prescription of medicine can lead to dysfunction of many organs, because each drug is prepared individually! And it’s not enough to read the instructions, you need to know about compatibility with other drugs, etc;
- wrong time and physical therapy can cause the opposite effect.
But the best treatment is prevention, so it is best to observe safety precautions when playing sports, at work, to monitor the safety of playgrounds. Eat protein foods and regularly exercise, Your body would be less susceptible to such injury.