Swelling of the ankle joint: causes and treatment of tumor of the ankle
Swollen feet ankle: find out the causes and select treatment
Swelling of the ankle joint is an inflammation of the soft tissues in the joint, while the person feels pain and feels a sense of discomfort during movement.
Most of the foot ankle is the result of excessive accumulation of fluid in the tissues. This is because the human body is disrupted lymphatic and circulatory systems.
It is also necessary to take into account the fact that fluid retention can be a symptom of various diseases of the joints. It is for this reason self-treatment doctors do not recommend, because the effects can be severe.
In that case, if the ankle appears swelling and inflammation, and move to become impossible because of severe pain, you need to urgently seek medical help.
Timely diagnosis of the disease will help to reduce pain and to undergo drug treatment with minimal risk to human health.
How to diagnose swelling?
Notice that the ankle is something not so simple. Usually the swelling is easily determined visually. While people will notice the fact that the limb in the lower part have substantially increased their size and often start to ache.
If swelling slightly press down with your finger, a depression in the skin will be present for some time.
In the initial stages of the disease, swelling of the ankle is manifested in the morning, and its reduction will only occur in conjunction with the Commission of the human locomotor activity.
The swelling can decrease during the second half of the day after some rest.
If the person is watching themselves from these symptoms, you urgently need to apply for a consultation with the rheumatologist.
In order to determine the cause and make a diagnosis, the specialist has to carry out following survey:
- in order to exclude the possibility of trauma to the bones have to carry rentgenologicheski examination of the ankle;
- MRI is carried out to study the condition of the soft tissues;
- biochemistry of blood and common blood test performed to study the presence of inflammatory processes in the body.
- a blood test for rheumatoid factor (allows to establish the presence of arthritis);
- to reject the development of tuberculosis is chest x-rays and makes a reaction to the vaccine skin test;
- the establishment of antibody response to Borrelia, chlamydia. The same takes place, a test for brucellosis.
Only on the basis of the results of the survey, the specialist makes a diagnosis and assigns the further course of treatment.
What could cause swelling?
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Swelling of the ankle joint may occur for various reasons. The most common include the following:
- Injury of the ankle.
- Stretching of the ligaments and muscles of the lower leg.
- An ankle fracture (fracture, like any other type of injury, accompanied by severe swelling. The only difference from dislocation is the fact that after the injury in the ankle area there is acute pain).
- Wounds of various origins (open and closed).
- Dislocated ankle (normally, it is the reason that the ankle joint is inflamed and swollen).
- Inflammatory processes in the joint tissues. These include bursitis, synovitis. Due to the excessive accumulation of synovial fluid in the tissue, the legs begin to swell, and the pain and discomfort in the lower leg.
- Diseases of the blood vessels. Violations that occur in the blood vessels, can cause the development of thrombophlebitis, thrombosis. Also the result is poor circulation and the outflow of venous blood. The consequence of this pathology is edema that is localized in the ankle.
- Problems with the cardiac system. Diagnosis in a patient of heart failure, diseases of the lungs, kidneys or liver can cause severe deviations in the work of all internal organs. As a result, this will entail the development of many of the problems that provoke excessive accumulation of fluid in the body.
- Infectious diseases. Swelling of the joint of the ankle can develop because of infection of the soft tissues. If treatment is not in due time, it increases the probability of development of sepsis.
- Gout. This disease is characterized by the fact that the human body breaks down to produce uric acid. Due to the fact that acid is not produced in sufficient quantity in the joints, begins to accumulate large amounts of salt, which some time later causes swelling and severe pain in the ankle.
- Osteoarthritis. Is one of the reasons of occurrence of tumours in the ankle joint. Most often, the pathology of this nature is manifested in old age.
- Arthritis. Another reason for the severe swelling is arthritis. Its development is associated with the occurrence of severe infections or dysfunction of one of the immune processes in the body. Arthritis can be diagnosed in several forms: rheumatoid, psoriatic and septic. Each of them needs urgent treatment and subsequent patient care.
- The development of plantar fasciitis. Fasciitis is characterized by inflammation of the large strips of connective tissue. On foot it is located on the lower side. Usually this disease develops due to heavy loads that are performed on the heel at the time of physical activity.
When it swells the joint of the ankle is manifested in different ways. First and foremost, it all depends on what triggered the development of this trouble.
Usually, the symptoms of edema is shown as follows:
- the presence of strong pain syndrome in the place of the affected joint when trying to move the pain will only increase;
- too rapid throbbing at the site of lesion or its complete absence;
- a strong inflammatory process (skin on the foot may acquire a reddish tint);
- a sharp increase in body temperature;
- the swelling, which over time can be increased, then subside.
If the victim is sure that the cause of the edema lies in the enhanced physical activity, reduce pain and relieve swelling easily possible at home. For this you will need to free the limb from clothing and apply on the affected area a cold compress (it is important that it was not too cold).
In the presence of drugs, such as Voltaren or Ketoprofen they can also be used to relieve the pain.
If after helping at home the swelling does not disappear, you need to urgently contact the medical facility to conduct a more thorough examination and effective treatment.
Effective treatment is possible
After carrying out all necessary tests and studies the doctor describes a treatment that consists in the following:
- compliance with bed rest (it is important to avoid unnecessary movements and physical activity);
- taking pain and anti-inflammatory non-steroidal drugs;
- in advanced cases can be used non-hormonal anti-inflammatory drugs;
- helps in the treatment of physiotherapy (physical therapy) and physical therapy;
- when the cartilage can not regenerate, it is advisable to use chondroprotectors;
- for the relief of pain specialist may prescribe a course of light massage.
If the cause of edema of the tibia lies in the other diseases, the treatment can be adjusted:
- in rheumatoid arthritis prescribe corticosteroids;
- in psoriatic arthritis the recommended regular visits to a dermatologist;
- if the swelling is a result of infection of the soft tissues, the treatment can be used antibacterial drugs.
Contribute to a speedy recovery and the restoration of traditional medicines. In order to relieve swelling well established methods such:
- A decoction of the seed of flax. Drink 5-8 times per day in quantities of 150 ml.
- A compress of ice on the basis of chamomile, sage or yarrow. This compress should be kept in the limb not more than 15 minutes.
- Infusion on the basis of birch buds helps to cleanse the blood and restore the metabolic processes in the human body.
- Bath based on lime, birch buds and Hypericum. It is best to conduct this event before going to sleep. Duration from 15 to 30 minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar and honey. All the ingredients are diluted in warm water (200 ml) and drink a glass a day not less than 3 times.
If the cause of swelling is not the course of severe diseases, you should not be afraid of any complications. Most often the swelling subsides by itself after a few hours or days.
When such a symptom indicates the occurrence of bone disease or of blood vessels, its effects can carry the most unexpected character.
In such cases increases the likelihood of injury and damage to other joints. But if treatment is not carried out timely, then we can begin the process of deformation and destruction of bone.
In order to prevent the development of problems with his ankle, will need to comply with all safety rules that will help to protect the joint during sports or during heavy physical work.
If the person is at risk, it is necessary to visit doctors regularly and follow a diet which will consist of limitation of salt. Don’t forget about wearing high-quality and comfortable shoes.
Swelling of the ankle joint can occur due to various injuries. But if you are not sure the cause, then the best option would be a speedy visit to the doctor – traumatologist or a rheumatologist.