Symptoms of lumbar chondrosis. Treatment of lumbar chondrosis
The symptoms and treatment of lumbar chondrosis
Lumbar chondrosis, degenerative disease affecting the lumbar spine.
The basis of this pathology lies the destruction of the cartilage ring of the intervertebral disc with loss of the nucleus pulposus forward (toward the abdomen) or backward (in the direction of the spinal canal) with the formation of a schmorl’s nodule.
The causes of the disease:
- The metabolic disorders, in particular, the excess deposition of calcium in the cartilage tissue;
- Excessive stress on the spine: obesity, heavy lifting, especially incorrect;
- Incorrect posture, leading to incorrect load distribution;
- Injuries of the spine;
- Lack of exercise;
Clinical manifestations of the disease
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The symptoms of lumbar chondrosis associated with those processes, which arise in the destruction of the intervertebral disc and loss of the nucleus:
The destruction of the cartilaginous rings leads to a decrease in height of the intervertebral disc, resulting in pinching of a nerve root emerging from the spinal canal in the affected area. As a result of infringement occurring inflammatory reaction and local tissue swelling is not visible to the eye. At the level of the lumbar overlook nerve roots Innervate pelvic organs and lower limbs.
So pain when the infringement occur in the lower back (sciatica) and are distributed in the crotch region and the outer surface of the thigh to the toes (lumbalgia). Pain syndrome is of a different nature: the pain may be dull or burning, aching and shooting. The pain intensifies after physical exertion, changes in body position, coughing.
Also in this area there may come a violation of the sensitivity, manifested by hypoesthesia (reduced sensitivity) or paresthesia (pins and needles, tingling).
Reflex in pain management muscle spasm occurs, limiting motor activity in the affected area.
In severe cases when broken intervertebral joint obyzvestvleniya, develops the limitation of range of motion in this area. This is manifested by a decrease in severity of the lumbar lordosis and a compensatory increase in thoracic kyphosis (hump).
The classic picture of lumbar chondrosis is represented by the following symptoms:
- Violation of skin sensitivity of the lower extremities;
- Muscle spasm of the lumbar region.
Stage of osteochondrosis
- Damage to the nucleus pulposus of the intervertebral disc. Because of the violation of metabolism in polipozom the kernel is the loss of water, the nucleus decreases in size, loses its elasticity and is unable to cope with stress. All this is happening imperceptibly for the patient and it does not call for help, although this stage is reversible.
- Damage to the fibrous ring of the intervertebral disc. Excessive load on the spine causes the cracking of the disc. Through the tears of the disc is pressed -. At this stage there may be pain in the back.
- Herniation of the disc. Dropdown — puts pressure on the tears, increasing them in size. At this stage the degree of loss is so great that it can lead to clinical manifestations of infringement of the nerve root and muscle spasm.
- Degenerative changes of the spine. For unloading of the destroyed disc adjacent the vertebrae begin to grow in width, forming osteophytes. All this limits the mobility of the injured segment and prevents its further destruction.
Available diagnostic methods
Based on a typical clinical picture, which is confirmed by instrumental methods of the study:
- Radiography is the most affordable method of diagnosis. Allows you to specify the location of damage, see the reduced height of the vertebrae and intervertebral discs and the presence of osteophytes. In this type of diagnostics it is impossible to detect the presence of herniated discs.
- CT scan-also applies to x-ray methods, but , thanks to the layered photography of the image with the subsequent matching of images into one image using computer programs allows you to see the smallest details of the structure of the spine. Used in informative simple radiography.
- MRI is the gold standard for the diagnosis not only of the chondrosis, but also its complications such as protrusion and disc herniation, which are clearly visible on MRI-grams.
Cure disease and relieve pain symptoms
The main tasks of treatment of lumbar chondrosis include :
- Elimination of the reasons causing compression of the nerve roots;
- Elimination of muscle spasticity and movement disorders in the damaged segment;
- Create proper movement patterns to prevent new lesions.
The most effective methods of complete cure of lumbar chondrosis can be ranked:
Pain relief plays a big role in reducing muscle spasm and restore mobility of the spine.
- Pain medicine from the lumbar chondrosis extensive group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. You can take pills and in the form of creams, gels, ointments, patches with the drug substance externally. When using inside it must be remembered that the rate of intake should not be more than 5 days due to their negative impact on the gastric mucosa;
- Muscle relaxants reduce pathological muscle spasm;
- Chondroprotectors in long-term use can stop the destruction megavoltage drive.
- Medications, improving nutrition damaged roots: b vitamins, cardiovascular drugs.
A set of manual techniques aimed at restoring mobility of the damaged segment. Specialist with rhythmic movements and traction reflex achieves pain reduction. To achieve a lasting effect it is necessary to spend 10-15 sessions. To secure the result the doctor may advise you to continue traction at home by yourself, showing the basic techniques.
Based on the principle of interaction of active points on the body with internal organs by means of pulses which activate the metabolism in the affected organ. Has established itself as a great anesthetic method, which allows to dispense medicines. Depending on the methods of influence on pressure points reflexology divided into acupuncture, monopressokottura (acupressure), thermopuncture (warming), cryopuncture (impact on the active points of cold), electroacupuncture, and many other techniques. A specific method and scope selects a specialist reflexologist.
Gymnastics is indicated for the acute chondrosis of the lumbar spine, but has limitations depending on the period of the disease:
- In the acute phase all exercises should only be performed lying down. The main goal is a soft traction of the damaged area;
- In the subacute period is more active spinal traction, added exercises aimed at the formation of the muscular corset around the spine;
- In the period of remission of exercises aimed at maintaining muscle tone, which forms a protective corset.
Prohibited to execute chondrosis twisting, jumping, backbends.
An important method for the treatment of chondrosis of the spine, which in combination with other methods allows to achieve a more rapid and stable result. Regardless of the methods of physical therapy aimed at reducing inflammation and relieving muscle spasm.
Surgical treatment applicable, when the threat of spinal cord compression, herniation and protrusion of the ineffectiveness of other methods.
Complications posed by neglected diseases
- Protrusion (bulging) of the disc.
- Disc hernia.
- Violation of the architectonics of the spine: flattening of the lumbar lordosis leads to increased kyphosis in the thoracic spine.
- Compression of the spinal cord herniation protrusion.
How to avoid chondrosis of the spine
By following simple rules, you can not only avoid problems with the spine, but also to stop the progression of the existing one:
The formation of correct patterns in life
- To raise and lower the severity is only recommended in prisyadke, not leaning forward, if possible, distribute the load on both hands;
- Avoid sudden movements;
- Cleaning to produce a MOP, a vacuum cleaner;
- In the garden to work in the slope and in prisyadku;
- Regular performance of physical therapy;
- To avoid hypothermia lumbar region;
- Not to remain long in one position, especially with a flexed spine.