The osteoarthritis of 1 degree of the knee joint — prevention and treatment
Gonarthrosis of the knee joint of 1 degree — when the disease can still be stopped
Gonarthrosis is a chronic non-inflammatory disease that affects the knee joints, the consequence of which is that their functions and destruction of the articular cartilage.
The mechanical factor is the main cause of the disease. After mikrotravmatizatsii articular cartilage degeneration starts and the metabolism in tissues.
Between the articular surfaces is a multilayer hyaline cartilage that reduces friction and improves glide. Its structure can withstand loads and to maintain skin elasticity. With the disease of cartilage delaminates, cracks and becomes thin.
The progression of the disease leads to exposure of bone, its compaction and the appearance of growths (osteophytes), which causes deformation of the joints.
The stage of the disease
Gonartroz can be primary, arising initially, and secondary, developing on the background of other diseases of the joints.
Gonarthrosis has three degrees of severity:
- In the first degree. This is the initial stage of the disease, which is expressed in periodic pain, which worsen after exercise and a small swelling in the knee joint.
- Of the second degree. The duration and intensity of the pain increases. Appears deformation of the joint, difficulty in bending and
- Of the third degree. The pain becomes strong enough and occurs not only during exercise but also at rest. Appears weather dependent, gait changes and limited mobility.
Stop the disease before it is too late
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The osteoarthritis of 1 degree is most favorable for the patient, as his progression at this stage you can stop.
The disease develops gradually and quietly and can last a long time.
Often the patient can not exactly remember at what point he began to feel heaviness and discomfort in the joints. This is usually blamed on the injury, physical exertion or fatigue. But at this point, the structure of the joint has already started to change.
Then there is the pain in the knee. It is not too intense, and in most cases also remains unanswered. Symptoms may disappear completely for a while, lulling the vigilance of the patient.
The causes of the disease
There are many causes of osteoarthritis of the first degree, but the most common are:
- Chronic stress.
- Malnutrition and blood supply to joint tissues, causing degenerative changes occur.
- Excess weight, in which the knee joints are under constant pressure.
- Disorders of local circulation of varicose veins and venous stasis.
- Loads are not age-appropriate. When people over forty years of trying to exercise too intensely.
- Congenital weakness of the ligaments.
- Violation of metabolism.
In half of the cases, the cause of the disease is a spasm of the muscles of the anterior thigh. It is found in the vast number of people suffering from disease.
The patient does not notice a spasm, it can feel fatigue in the legs and aching pain in the lower back. If the muscles are too long in spasm, the knees gradually «shrink» and their movement restricted. The most common cause of this disease is chronic stress.
At home to determine the predisposition to disease can be identified easily. Lying on the stomach to pull heel to buttock.
A healthy person will be able to do, thus there will be tension at the front of the thigh. When spasm of the muscles in this place there is very severe pain that will prevent you from doing the exercise.
The symptoms of the disease in the first stage
The main symptoms of osteoarthritis:
- Heaviness and discomfort in the joints, in the absence of physical load.
- Pain. Usually appears in the morning after waking up. During the day, when the joint is developed, it disappears. In the future, this symptom manifests itself after a day or prolonged sitting. Also my knees hurt during the ascent or descent of the stairs. Due to the fact that the entire weight of the body rests on the leg bent at the knee and the articular cartilage is compressed, pushing against each other. Worried about the pain after a long walk or sports, but it disappears after a person sits down to relax.
- Weakness of the muscles. This symptom appears rarely.
Most often, the disease affects elderly people, professional athletes, women during menopause, or those who have the disease is inherited. The risk group also included patients with overweight or with leg injuries.
In the presence of at least one of the symptoms you need to consult a doctor for examination and x-rays. This will determine the stage of disease and to monitor the dynamics of its development.
Even in the early stages of the disease the picture shows the narrowing of the joint space or the presence of small growths on the bones.
Treatment — the sooner the better
Even if the quality of life of the patient worsened, the treatment of gonarthrosis of the knee joint of 1 degree should be started immediately.
The goal is to stop the disease and reverse degenerative processes.
Although the disease is completely incurable, its progression can be slowed significantly. The most effective is a comprehensive method of treatment which includes:
- The correction weight. Is usually the first stage of treatment, in patients with obesity. While body mass index does not cease to be too much, the other methods are powerless. Because even with small physical activity, the load on the knee joints far exceeds the norm.
- Exercises to stretch and strengthen the muscles. When developed leg muscles and no spasms of the load on the knees is reduced. A complex of gentle exercises should be prescribed by a doctor. While squatting, jumping and running is excluded. You can take a yoga, Cycling or swimming.
- Choosing the right shoes. Women suffering from initial stage of gonarthrosis need to abandon shoes on very high heels, the optimal height in this case, three to five centimeters. Ballerina flats are also contraindicated. Those who spends a lot of time on the feet it is best to buy orthopedic shoes or insoles.
- The choice of knee braces, which fix the joints and ligaments. They are used when a person is going exercise.
- A balanced diet. Doctors recommend as often as possible to eat the jelly, broth, cooked on bones or jelly. These products contain a large number of chondroprotectors and collagen. Useful is meat and plant protein foods, dairy products, nuts and fruits. From the menu need to completely eliminate fatty meats and alcoholic beverages.
- Physiotherapy, massage and therapeutic exercises.
In most cases, at this stage of the disease a person does not need painkillers. If necessary, appointed-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs based on ibuprofen, paracetamol or nimesulide.
They can be in the form of injections, tablets, creams and gels. If the medication is necessary to apply more than seven days, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
To restore cartilage using drugs from the group of chondroprotectors. Often their composition is chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine stops the destruction of cartilage, restoring its structure and the production of lubrication of the joint.
Funds are available in different dosage forms:
- Capsules, powders and pills for ingestion: teraflex, Lorenzen, Artron Complex, Dona, Structum.
- Solutions for injections: Mucosa, Alflutop, Albona.
- Creams and gels: symptoms, Handrail.
Cartilage is recovering very slowly, so do not expect quick results in the use of drugs. For the regeneration of cartilage important long-course reception.
At interruption of course, deprived of support, it will again begin to collapse. Treatment lasts from six to eighteen months, and the dosage form of the drug prescribed by your doctor.
If time does not begin to treat the disease it will pass into the subsequent stage, in which the pain and stiffness in the knee joints becomes a constant companion.
Biomechanics of the body can be broken, which will lead to spinal disc hernia and arthritis of other joints. For successful treatment you need to fully implement the recommendations of the doctor.
Prevention of the disease
In order to avoid osteoarthritis, you need to properly and balanced diet, avoiding overeating.
To correctly determine the level of physical activity, and to compare their age. When engaging in active sports people after forty years should not be on people under thirty.
In the event of injuries of the knee joint, you should immediately seek help from a doctor.
You need to choose the right shoes, and with the manifestations of varicose veins to use special stockings.
Do not ignore the symptoms, because of timely conservative and comprehensive treatment able to stop disease and keep function of the knee.
Gonarthrosis in the first degree is the initial stage is quite a serious disease that can significantly impair quality of life.
For the diagnosis of disease and appointment of complex treatment you need to consult your doctor a rheumatologist, or an orthopedist astrology.