The symptoms and treatment of lumbar and cervical radiculitis: medicines or physiotherapy?
Sciatica: a new look at the causes, symptoms and treatment of this disease
Sciatica is a term that encompasses a number of disorders characterized by lesions of spinal roots and associated diseases of the peripheral nervous system.
He is considered one of the most frequent abnormalities of the peripheral nerves among modern people.
These disorders can develop for different reasons and manifest in different places.
The reasons for the defeat
About 95 % of cases the appearance of sciatica associated with degenerative disc disease. Causes of the remaining cases are injuries of the spine, inflammation of the paravertebral tissues, tumors.
The most common cause is a herniated disc. It arises due to destruction processes in the discs.
Due to this change in the disc bulging occurs, causing the hernia compressing the nerve roots extending from the spinal cord.
Irritation of the nerves can facilitate osteophytes, stenosis of the spine, causing narrowing of the spinal canal or the holes from which the nerves depart.
Also causes of sciatica can be stress related, in which the person is a long time. Cause the development of diseases and malfunctions of metabolic processes, lifting weights, hypothermia and infection.
Most susceptible to the violation of a person whose work is related to severe loads on the spine: the porters, miners, dentists, athletes, truckers and persons of mental labor, constantly sitting at the computer.
What is sciatica?
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
In General, one can distinguish the following signs of violations:
- Pain. They can be of different duration and strength, as well as different properties. It is the pain that implies the presence of effects on fiber nerves.
- Violations of sensitivity. Infringement often causes the appearance of different neurological symptoms, because blocks the passage of nerve impulses. As a result, the legs may be burning, tingling, feeling of pins and needles, numbness.
- Weakness of the muscles. The reason is the compression of the nerve channel, stops the transmission of nerve impulses, which also hurts the work of the muscles.
The main feature of the disease is burning pain. It covers the location of the pinched nerve and the area of its innervation.
Most often, symptoms of sciatica the lumbar, but it can appear in any part of the spine.
Each case has its own symptoms, therefore, determine the type and diagnose the violation can only doctor.
The types of dependent centers:
- Cervical radiculitis has the following symptoms: pain occurs in the neck and head, and any head movements increase it. In severe cases, can decrease hearing, feel dizzy and appearing gait changes associated with being in the neck arteries that supply blood to the brain and is responsible for coordination.
- The neck and shoulder characteristic of the onset of pain in the shoulders, neck, hands. Through the pain there are placed on the chest, and each breath is accompanied by a new attack.
- Lumbar radiculitis is the most popular kind of disease, which most clearly manifests its symptoms. If this person can not bend, stretch, walk, sit because of the severe sharp pain. It increases with movement, coughing, and may radiate to the legs. Other manifestations include muscle weakness, numbness and tingling.
The most frequent these types of lesions lower back:
- Lumbago — acute pain, there is a sudden load caused by overheating and the following cooling of the body. An attack may last from few minutes to several hours and days. Reasons for this disorders are a muscle strain of the lower back, hernia or displacement of vertebrae.
- Sciatica — pain is concentrated in the gluteal part, at the back of the femur and tibia and may reach feet. Sometimes the weakness of the muscles. This is due to disruption of the sciatic nerve. Pain — like electric shock, there is a burning, tingling sensation, «tingling» and numbness simultaneously. Pain are of varying strength.
- Sciatica — pain in the loins, passing to the foot or feet. It spreads over the buttocks and on the rear outer surface of the legs, not covering the toes, often is a nagging and increasing pain.
The treatment of the disease
Treatment of sciatica depends on which symptoms showing the disease.
Treatment of lumbar, cervical and thoracic radiculitis is usually done with medicines and other methods of conservative treatment.
The goal of therapy is to neutralize inflammation, reducing tissue edema, pain.
With sciatica prescribed analgesics in combination with anti-inflammatory drugs. And in the beginning of the disease, when the pain is severe, the medication should be applied in the form of injections, and then you can take the pill.
Among other things, the treatment complement muscle relaxants — medications that force the muscles to relax. They help to break patterns of pain provokes spasm, and the spasm — pain. Well neutralize the pain novocaine blockade.
Lumbar sacral sciatica and partly other forms of disease treated with these procedures:
- Physiotherapy – the use of many ways of improving blood circulation in the surrounding root tissues, neutralizing the pain, improves the conduction of nerve impulses.
- Acupuncture – effects on bioactive points, normalizing the conduction of impulses by nerve fibers.
- Exercise – physical exercise in the right amount, helps normalize the functions of the spine. The application of the exercise load redistribution often helps to eliminate compression of the spine. Also, this method helps to stop the processes of destruction, increase the elasticity of the ligaments and muscles. Used exercise in the gym, various gymnastics (Qi Gong). In addition, regular classes are warning of recurrence of different States arising in the damaged the spine.
- Deserves special attention manual therapy which is extremely effective in the treatment. Before her appointment mandatory consultation of the neurologist and x-rays. Similar treatment methods are not carried out in the presence of a large herniated vertebral disk, because during a session she may come off.
Folk medicine to guard health
Treatment of folk remedies is widespread and quite effective.
Traditional medicine advised for violation of hot wraps, is of great importance to stay warm, avoid drafts. Also use compresses with hot potatoes, intake of warm baths, the water should add the rosemary, Arnica, pine needles.
You can use a warm foot bath, drinking tea with birch leaves. Rubbing the affected places suggest essential oils of pine, rosemary.
To neutralize the pain should go to bed, over the lower back place a small pillow you should lie on back with legs bent. These positions help reduce pain.
You should not perform sudden movements. You can also be on the abdomen, so it is convenient to carry out rubbing analgesic ointments. Then lower back should wrap a woolen scarf.
To prevent occurrence of the disorder is:
- restricting physical exertion, especially lifting heavy, if there is still a need in the performance of such work, you should wear a corset;
- avoiding a long stay in an inclined position;
- preemption hypothermia of the lower back;
- eliminating excess body weight, which overloaded the spine;
- the development of the back muscles (swimming, special physical education).