Thoracic kyphoscoliosis: causes and treatment 1 and 2 the extent of the disease
A dangerous strain of the thoracic spine — kyphoscoliosis
Kyphoscoliosis is a disease which is a curvature of the spine.
And not just the curvature, accompanied by twisting it around the axis, and curvature in two planes.
This complex combination of spinal deformity complicates treatment.
Curvature of the spine when the disease sometimes fluctuates in the range from 0 to 45 degrees.
It affects mainly children. And it can occur both in childhood and in adolescence. It is in this time is the formation and strengthening of the musculoskeletal system.
To understand the features of this disease, you need to get acquainted with all the nuances and peculiarities of its flow.
The main causes of deformation
This disease is congenital, beginning in the womb mom.
Congenital thoracic kyphoscoliosis caused due to violations of fetal development. The causes of these disorders has not been fully elucidated.
The danger is that this disease is not always immediately detected. And not always immediately evident.
It can manifest itself several months later. Maybe a few months to be in the initial stage, and then start to dramatically improve.
The causes of this disease often are:
- incorrect posture when sedentary life and long hours of seats at the computer;
- incorrect posture lessons at the table;
- wearing bags is constantly on the same shoulder;
- complications of dangerous diseases such as polio;
- Cerebral palsy;
- a complication of spinal injuries;
- complications at different types of osteochondrosis;
- in the case of tumor development in different parts of the spine or the development of hernias;
- a genetic disposition.
The extent of the disease
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Vary 4 degrees of kyphoscoliosis:
- 1 degree (typical deviations in the curvature of the spine and twisting);
- 2 the degree (seen a marked lateral deviation, strengthening the internal carotid artery, the progression of the disease);
- 3 degree ( deformation of the ribs and the thoracic organs, the formation of hump);
- 4 degree (he has expressed a strong deformation of the spine, thorax and pelvis).
The last degree is considered a neglected and very dangerous. It can lead to deformation of the lungs and other organs, and then to disability.
Shortness of breath, signs of heart failure syndrome may develop pulmonary heart disease, which is irreversible complication, in which the duration of life of the patient is reduced by at least a decade.
The clinical picture changes over the progression of the disease:
- The initial degree of the disease practically does not give any symptoms, except more fatigue and a slight shortness of breath when exercising. Because 1 stage of development of this disease has not yet formed a noticeable outward deviation of the axis of the spine. To suspect this disease except that a small asymmetry of the vertical axis, and then only upon careful inspection.
- But already in the second stage the asymmetry is already more visible, it can be easily seen by putting a child exactly and looking at the back. And then attentive parents begin to sound the alarm. In addition, the child not only increasing shortness of breath, pain in the back, accompanied by incontinence and loss of sensation in the lower extremities.
- Shortness of breath in the third degree of the disease development is further enhanced due to the compression of the lungs by the ribs of the chest. Pronounced stoop and violations in the work of the heart and vascular system.
- Stage 4 is the hardest. It is accompanied by distortions not only parts of the spine and ribs, and pelvis, severe pain in the back, by the growth in the size of the hump, numbness of feet and hands because of the abuses of the spinal cord deformed disks.
To put the correct diagnosis and determine the stage of the disease, are usually prescribed examinations and consultations of orthopedist and neurologist.
Upon inspection of the estimated deformation of the spine in various poses, the preservation of tendon reflexes, is there no leg numbness, etc.
The angle of deformation is determined using radiographs, which can make standing and lying down. Can also be prescribed an MRI and CT scan.
Palpation is estimated skin sensitivity of legs, verified, retained reflexes, symmetrical if muscular effort.
Treatment: challenges and methods
The treatment for kyphoscoliosis depends on the extent of the disease.
At 1-St degree, the goal of treatment is to lay the corset muscles, improve the mobility of joints. In the complex treatment of kyphoscoliosis should include:
- back massage;
- gymnastic exercises;
The same purpose should be subject to treatment procedures and for the 2nd stage of the disease. And because of the treatments assigned to the patient are the same as for patients with a first degree.
Grade 3 and 4 disease are treated surgically. Surgery is necessary for fixation of the spine in the desired position using the metal structures.
After the surgery the patient several months living in a corset. But even after successful surgery, the lungs are not dealt with. Their volume will remain the same as before the operation.
What are the conservative methods?
The basis of therapy based on the following methods:
- Physiotherapy. It is the basis of preventive correction. Exercises directed on formation strengthening of the corset of muscles, strengthening of some and the relaxation of other muscles. Their picks the doctor. To accomplish it better under the supervision of an exercise physiologist. Uncontrolled and high loads will only lead to deterioration. It is not necessary to invent exercises and do them yourself. Not with kyphoscoliosis and jump.
- Wearing a corset. Using tailor-made orthopaedic corsets and reclination is possible to develop a normal posture and to suspend the development of the disease at an early stage.
- Physiotherapy. Prescribe it to relieve pain, improve blood circulation and repair the degeneration of the muscles.
- Acupuncture. Helps to get rid of the pain, also helps to normalize blood circulation in the spine, eliminates stagnant painful events.
- Manual therapy. It helps to improve your posture, make a normal gait, to eliminate the deformation of the discs of the spine and joints.
- Medicines. This agents, analgesics and bracing. Among them there are those that stop inflammation. They are appointed by the doctor to relieve inflammation and pain.
Surgical intervention is assigned in the case when revealed a severe case of curvature of the spine, accompanied by severe pain, progressive neurologic disorder, a dysfunction of the organs located in the flattened chest, and deformity of the pelvis.
During the operation, set design of metal rods and hooks, which is aligned with the spinal axis, the vertebrae are fixed in the desired position.
After the surgery the patient more than six months must wear a plaster corset.
It should only remember that the surgery will not fix already broken form the lungs and will not change their volume. But it is possible to improve the saturation of the oxygen saturation in the blood.
In the case of progressive kyphoscoliosis may develop degenerative disc disease, disc distortion and the appearance of hernias of the spine. Can also occur and osteoarthritis.
The consequence of such violations may be pinching the spinal cord, leading to numbness in the extremities, and dysfunction of the pelvis.
This disease limits the functionality of the diaphragm. Because of this increased strain on the muscles of the chest, reduced lung capacity. As a result, the blood receives little oxygen and carbon dioxide becomes greater. Deformity of the chest causes a deformation and disruption of the heart.
Fail and the digestive system.
To engage in prevention from early childhood and continue all the time, especially if the family were cases of scoliosis or other postural disorders.
What are the preventive measures?
- sports that help to strengthen muscle tone and posture;
- pack correctly distributes the load on the spine;
- the workplace of the student, helps to maintain posture;
- to sleep a child needs on a hard bed;
- you cannot carry weights in one hand or bag on the same shoulder, the load must be equal on both shoulders.