Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee any of 1,2, 3 degree
The reasons for the development and treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee
The knee joint is one of the largest in the human body. It accounts for the majority of the load when walking or maintaining the vertical position of the body.
To provide these functions, the knee joint has a rather complex structure. It includes three bones, the patella and strong ligaments.
This joint is susceptible to various injuries and pathological processes. One of them is osteochondrosis of the knee joint.
The essence of the disease
Under this disease is commonly understood as degenerative disorders, which often arise in people of young age.
They are characterized by a prolonged but benign course. If time to start treatment of the disease, the outcome will be favorable.
Pathology begins abruptly with the development of aseptic bone necrosis. In this state, a person experiences severe pain – most often it occurs after exercise.
Subsequently formed swelling, increased local temperature, redness of the skin. After adequate treatment, the necrotic tissue are absorbed, and at this point appears deformed scar tissue.
The causes and characteristics of pathology
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The main factors for the development of osteoarthritis of the knee include the following:
- violation of metabolic processes in the body;
- the appearance of excess weight;
- the disturbance of hormonal balance;
- genetic predisposition;
- high physical load;
- traumatic injuries of the knee;
- inflammatory pathology of the knee.
None of these reasons is not considered a primary or specific in the development of this disease.
Currently osteochondrosis of the knee joint is a reversible pathology of subchondral bone, which leads to delamination or fragmentation of the cartilage tissue.
There are several forms of the disease:
- Disease Osgood-Shlatter. For this pathology the characteristic pathologic changes of the tuberosity in the area of the tibia. The disease begins with sprouting painful cones, which is localized in the lower part of the knee joint. Usually this pathology detect from children 13 years of age who are engaged in sports figure skating, football or Jogging.
- The Disease Koenig. This term is understood as dissecting Legg, or inflammation of the cartilage. This process leads to delamination of the cartilage from the bone, which leads to their separation. Eventually, the cartilage can move freely in the articular capsule, and this, in turn, impairs the mobility of the joint. Pathology is typical of adolescent children and the elderly. While in children the disease affects both the knee and respond well to treatment. People aged get rid of the disease Koenig is very difficult.
- Disease Laruns-Johansson. This process is abnormal ossification of the patella. On palpation one feels pain in the affected area. Also this state is characterized by swelling and hydratron joint. This form of degenerative disc disease is most often diagnosed in teenagers.
Youthful types of the disease continued for about 8 years and pass on their own 25 years – it was during this period stops the process of growth of bone tissue.
In addition, osteochondrosis of the knee joint may have three degrees of severity:
- 1 degree– it is characterized by a small pain in the area of the joint;
- 2 degree– at this stage there is destruction of cartilage, weakening of leg muscles and movement you may notice some stiffness and incomplete amplitude;
- 3rd degree – a person experiences severe pain in the knees, the joints can become inflamed, is their deformation and fracture.
To make the treatment maximally effective, it must start as early as possible.
It is unlikely that the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee joint the third stage of development will bring tangible results, because at this stage in the joint is starting to happen, irreversible changes.
What is the disease?
For osteoarthritis of the knee is characterized by such symptoms:
- Pain in the front of the knee joint, which arise in various movements. They may have dull, aching in nature and increase with increased loads. The discomfort often increases when running or climbing stairs.
- Crunching during movement.
- Swelling and swelling in the affected joint.
- Pain on palpation of the affected area.
- Forced position of the foot.
- The reduction in amplitude of movements.
- Atrophy of the quadriceps femoris – this symptom occurs when prolonged course of the disease.
A modern approach to therapy
To deal with inflammation and to eliminate pain, to medical therapy of osteoarthritis of the knee.
Of drugs prescribed voltaren or diclofenac. Can also be used similar anti-inflammatory drugs.
To improve the recovery processes in cartilage, your doctor may prescribe chondroprotectors. For this purpose, suitable different drugs – for example, structum.
A person suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee, be sure to include in your diet plenty of vitamins. Very useful in this disease physiotherapy techniques.
As a Supplement to the basic therapy can be used alternative means – for example, a bee sting or propolis. However, before using such tools it is necessary to consult with your doctor.
Conservative therapy is usually administered to children who have open growth zones. The main goal of this therapy is to heal the defect prior to the closing zone growth.
It also allows to achieve good results and after the closing if no more than 6-12 months.
Many doctors argue that immobilization in this pathology is not necessary, and the person can keep a habitual activity.
To relieve a leg, sometimes crutches – they need to take 3 to 6 weeks before the disappearance of pain symptoms.
Surgical intervention is appropriate if the adolescent has closed areas of growth. In adults, the indication for this procedure is the complete absence of an effect of pharmacological treatment and the presence of progressive processes in the region of the joint.
The purpose of the operation is to preserve the shape and mobility of the knee joint. Also during this procedure bond the bone and cartilage of the site.
The effectiveness of therapy depends on the stage of the disease and timely treatment. In addition, the important impact on the results provided by the unloading of the affected joint during therapy.
This is required in order to prevent the emergence of resistant strains and secondary osteoarthritis.
What is the consequence of the disease?
The main complication of the disease is the development of osteoarthritis of the knee.
The risk of this disease depends on the localization of the pathology, size of the affected area and the adequacy of therapy. In some cases the arthritis develops even in the condition of timely treatment.
Osteochondrosis of the knee is considered to be a rather unpleasant disease, which is painful and can lead to reduced quality of life.
If the disease appeared in adolescence, there is a high probability that his symptoms will disappear on their own by the age of 25.
Adults to struggle with this illness often have to resort to surgical intervention.