What if the back pain radiates to leg?
Why back pain radiates to the leg — the most common causes and treatment
Often, for no apparent reason begins to ache, the pain spreads to some parts of the legs.
Sometimes the pain is unilateral, severe and aching, and sometimes accompanied by backache.
In this condition, very difficult to walk, carry heavy items, not to mention a quick walk or run.
Even if the patient decides to «wait out» the pain, the waiting can turn against him — most often, the discomfort may disappear for a short time and then reappear.
By itself, the pain does not pass, you need to consult a specialist to establish its true causes.
Possible causes of pain
Causes of such pain can become a disease, lumbar and sacral spine, and associated tissue injury of the nervous system and membranes of the spinal cord.
To establish the true cause of the pain, it is important to contact an experienced specialist to complete examination of the spine and assign the necessary treatment.
Among the causes of pain radiating to the leg, there are several diseases. Take a closer look.
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Radicular syndrome — a pathological condition associated with a dysfunction of a nerve root and cause disease of the spine.
The cause of the pain can serve any prolonged stress on the spine, muscles, discs and ligaments.
The disease manifests in disorder of motor, vegetative and sensitive functions.
Depending on the type of syndrome there are several manifestations of the disease:
- Mild pain in the spine is distributed on the inner and front part of the thigh, to the knee, sometimes below.
- Tangible pain extends from the outer surface of the thighs, grasping the front part of the lower leg, the rear part of the foot and ends at the thumb. In this case, the disturbed motor function of the thumb.
- Palpable the pain occurs in the lumbar region, spreading to the muscles of the buttocks, the front and back of thigh, outer side of the leg and foot, sometimes covering the toes. In this case the patient is hard to stay on their toes, there is a sensation of tingling in the affected areas.
The treatment must appoint a physician — in addition to the event is not recommended hypothermia and heavy loads on the spine. With the right approach to treatment and prevention there is a possibility to avoid aggravation of the disease and reduce the expression of pain. Similar recommendations are given for the following diseases associated with pain in the back and radiating to the leg:
- Sciatica or sciatica caused by a lesion of the sciatic nerve accompanied by pain in the leg. In this case, the patient is unable to exercise, unable to bear weight on leg, sit or lean on the outer part of the leg there is a slight tingling, which may spread to the toes. The pain is localized in the gluteal division, extending to the rear and side of the thigh, leg and foot.
- Lumbago (lumbago) caused by overexertion of muscles of the lower back during heavy physical exertion and subsequent cooling. In this case, the pain occurs in the lower back, is characterized as sharp and shooting may have spread to the toes. In this position, the person is completely immobilized, any physical effort accompanied by pain, some days passive rest can remove the cross but do not eliminate the cause of this condition.
- Lumbodynia occurs due to wear of the intervertebral discs of the spine due to prolonged stress or severe injuries. Accompanied by pain in the lumbar spine, partial swelling of the soft tissues surrounding the spine, and loss of sensation in the legs.
- Sciatica is accompanied by severe pain in the lumbar and sacral Department, covering the leg up to the level of the foot. In this case the pain occurs abruptly during heavy loads on the muscles of the lower back, accompanied by pain when you try to lean on the leg, limited motion in the lumbar spine, changes in posture (back is slightly bent in the thoracic spine and the body tilted forward).
- Globalizacija is a congenital defect of the spine, when the number of vertebrae is reduced due to the fusion of their bodies in the lumbar and sacral spine. Another option pathology is the sanctification of the increase in the number of vertebrae, during the formation of the musculoskeletal system. The pain usually begin to appear 20-25 years of age, increase during prolonged physical stress on the abnormal area of the spine.
Pain when pinching the sciatic nerve
Cause of pain in the lumbar spine often is pinching of the sciatic nerve — the largest nerve of the body, which is formed from the Union of lumbar and sacral nerve roots.
When compression of the nerve during the progression of spinal cord herniation, degenerative disc disease, as well as between bone growth (osteophytes) there is a sharp pain which covers the back of the thigh, leg and foot.
Cramping can occur after an injury or strenuous exercise, exposure to cold.
During treatment, pinched in the first turn eliminated the main symptoms of disease – pain and muscle spasm. Treatment should be carried out using various medications (painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants), which should prescribe the doctor. Further treatment consists of physical therapy and Wellness physical exercises of increasing intensity.
Folk remedies in the treatment of pain
In folk medicine there are many recipes that will help get rid of back pain – before applying a particular medication, it is important to know the cause of the pain and address it.
Depending on the disease are recommended recipes based on herbs, berries, dried flowers, but for the treatment of any disease with pain in the leg is assigned:
- Rest and relaxation — in any case it is impossible to overwork and carry heavy objects, especially in the gym with exercise machines.
- The right diet will give you the opportunity to «saturate» the body with the necessary nutrients for a speedy recovery.
- Massages — a prerequisite for recovery, you can refer to traditional massage techniques, dot impact, or other species able to remove inflammation and restore the functional activity of the spine.
- Gymnastics, swimming and other types of metered loads will help to develop the problem area and reduce inflammation.
- As painkillers external means, traditional medicine recommends the use of self-prepared ointments and compresses.
- Decoctions and infusions of herbs can help relieve the inflammation around the pinched nerve, remove the swelling and improve the sensitivity of the affected skin.
Before you self-assign yourself the treatment, you should think about possible consequences.
Incorrect or delayed action can result in temporary or complete loss of ability to lead an active lifestyle.