What is distortion of the spine: causes, symptoms, treatment
Distortion is a dangerous spine injury with grave consequences
Traumatic injuries of the spine are fairly common and in most cases lead to negative health effects.
One of these conditions is a distortion.
If not promptly see a doctor, this condition can trigger dangerous complications.
What is the injury?
This term is commonly understood as traumatic damage of the spinal column, which is characterized by partial or complete rupture of the ligaments.
However, this condition is not accompanied by disruption or displacement of the vertebrae.
Distortion is observed quite frequently and is about 15-25 % of all spinal injuries.
In most cases, injured cervical spine, because the rest of the vertebrae are tightly connected with each other and do not have such high mobility.
The average age of receiving such injuries ranges from 20 to 40 years, and men and women suffer from this disease equally often. With regard to professional affiliation, the injury more susceptible to athletes.
Causes of injury
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
The main causes of this disease include the following:
- traumatic injuries of the spine;
- increased physical activity;
- a sedentary lifestyle, which leads to a weakening of muscle tissue;
- incorrect position of the body at the moment of lifting weights;
- too soft mattress to sleep, which leads to the fact that the spine bends;
- improper pillow that is too strong raises his head;
- sloppy head turns.
Traumatic injury, which led to the development of distortion, may be caused by contact, that is, the direct effects on the spine.
Classification of damage
Depending on the localization of traumatic damage of distortion of the spine is:
The type of damage there are several types:
- Video – in this case, the impact of the damaging factor is carried out directly on the spine. This includes all sorts of twists and bending.
- Indirect – the appearance of the damage depends on the force of the impact. Such distortions lead a variety of fall.
To identify the distortion, you need to analyze the symptoms characteristic of this disease:
- pain in the damage area;
- disorder of mobility of the injured spine;
- the occurrence of edema in the area of damage;
- strengthening of pain at palpation of the affected area.
To make an accurate diagnosis, you need to conduct a number of surveys. As a rule, they include the following:
- A survey of the victim – the doctor should collect the maximum amount of information concerning the mechanism of receiving injuries.
- Examination of the patient – specialist analyzes the mobility of the vertebral column, the presence of edema, feeling of a person when feeling the damaged area.
- X-ray – this disease is characterized by the preservation of the integrity and the normal arrangement of the vertebrae.
- Magnetic resonance imaging – gives you the opportunity to visualize the ligaments and identify damage. This study is performed infrequently because it is very expensive.
Usually, the correct diagnosis is possible by eliminating injuries of the spine and spinal fracture.
The purposes and methods of treatment
The main objectives of treatment of distortion is to restore mobility of the spine and prevent the development of dangerous complications.
When receiving damage, the patient needs first aid, which is to immobilize his torso. The person should be put on a hard surface and immediately taken to the hospital.
In this pathology requires compliance with bed rest for 4-6 weeks. Effective procedures include the following:
- magnetic therapy;
The main treatment is massage. Using this procedure as much as possible to relax all the muscles and start the process of tissue repair. Due to this, the healing of ligaments is much faster.
Techniques such as electrotherapy, magnet therapy and thermotherapy, also contribute to the restoration of the human body.
They are based on the use of electric and magnetic fields, as well as local heat. Thanks to these procedures it is possible to strengthen your immune system, relax the muscles and normalize the patient’s condition.
When severe injuries of the cervical spine shows the use of the collar Trench. This orthopedic device allows to lock the neck muscles to prevent their contractions. This manages to protect the neck from any movement.
The collar should be placed so that the lower part is in contact with the clavicles, and the upper with the lower jaw. This arrangement is usually recommended for 8-10 weeks.
If the person has expressed the pain, using injections of procaine, which are lesions.
Complications and consequences
With adequate treatment, complications of this pathology is almost never. Some people have headaches.
Also can appear aching pain in the area of traumatic injury. However, similar symptoms may arise only in the case if the person does not receive proper treatment.
How to prevent injury
To prevent development of a disease, such as distortion of the spine, we need to monitor all their movements. For example, the head rotation must be extremely careful. Do not make sudden movements.
Those who are accustomed constantly to use heavy loads, you need to follow certain rules:
- During lifting the back must be straightened and look straight ahead.
- It is strongly recommended not to bend over – you should first sit down.
- The cargo must be placed at the center of the body.
- When lifting heavy objects, you cannot perform sudden movements or jerks. In addition, it is not recommended to look in the direction.
- Moved the cargo should be placed, by performing a reverse sequence of movements.
- When heavy objects will find a foothold, it is not recommended to perform sudden movements or twists. It is necessary to rise slowly and take a vertical position.
It is important that the rigidity of the mattress and quality pillows are designed to sleep. The mattress should not be too soft – it is best to choose a fairly rigid product.
It is advised not to buy a too soft pillow. In addition, it should not be very hard to rise above the bed.
It is recommended to protect the spine from drafts and hypothermia. Contraindicated and sudden movements. To strengthen muscle tissue, every morning you should perform light exercises.
The complex of exercises should choose a doctor based on the individual characteristics of your body.
To strengthen your neck muscles, you can do these exercises:
- chin tilted forward, then gently tip the head back;
- to make the head tilts in different directions;
- to do gentle circular movements of the head.
Such exercises are recommended to perform 3-5 times. In addition, prolonged sedentary work, it is recommended to take breaks. Thanks to a short workouts will be able to relax the muscles of the back.
Distortion occurs as a result of traumatic injuries of the back and is accompanied by quite severe pain. In most cases disrupted the cervical spine.
To prevent such processes, it is necessary to engage in the prevention of this disease. If the distortion still appeared, the victim should be transported immediately to the hospital.