What is shoulder tendinitis: symptoms and treatment
Shoulder tendonitis — inflammation that can be caused by many reasons
A pathological condition that is accompanied by inflammation of the tendons and other soft tissues of the shoulder joint is called tendinitis.
This process may have involved the supraspinatus, biceps tendon, joint capsule.
But the main areas affected are the joints of the bones with ligaments.
The disease is very common among adult population and among athletes, who once injured shoulder joint.
Women elderly age get sick more often men. This is directly related to hormonal disorders during menopause.
Excessive and frequent load on the same area can cause the appearance of microcracks and, as a consequence, the occurrence of the disease.
The causes of the disease
Of reasons that can trigger this disease very much. In order to begin correct treatment is needed to find out what caused the disease. These include:
- People dealing with heavy loads on hands risk to buy tendinitis of the shoulder. These include painters, plasterers, athletes, drivers of vehicles, which often have to be behind the wheel.
- Microtrauma, which you can get as a result of strong physical activity.
- Diseases of the musculoskeletal system: arthritis, gout, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, rheumatism.
- Acquired or congenital disorder of the tendons.
- Incorrect posture.
- Infectious diseases associated with pathogenic flora.
- Stress and depressive state.
- Allergic to some group of medicines.
- Joint dysplasia.
- Congenital defects in the structure of the body (different lengths of the limbs).
- The weakening of the immune system.
- Endocrine diseases.
- Long wearing cast.
- Osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
- Being in a long draught.
Classification of inflammation
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
There are such forms of tendenita:
- Calcining is an inflammation of the tendons and soft tissues around calcium deposits. The development of the disease also contributes to the wear and tear of tendons and lack of oxygen in the tissues.
- Supraspinatus muscle — is damage to the muscle capsule of the acromioclavicular joint, or coracoid-acromial ligament. These disorders involve inflammation, thinning and degeneration of the tendon.
- The biceps muscle is inflammation of the tendon that holds the shoulder and upper bicep. This type of tendonitis often affects tennis players and swimmers, as these sports involve sharp strokes of a hand with a large amplitude.
- Cuff can be the result of stress, infection or injury in the form of injury. The tendon is severely thickened and increases in volume.
- The shoulder consists of a number of diseases and is manifested as severe pain in the joint area. Increased pain appears while lifting up weight.
- Post-traumatic — occurs as a result of inadequate blood supply to the tendon. Among people constantly involved in sports, this is a very common disease. Until full recovery after injury, in no event it is impossible to overload the joint.
- Chronic — occurs from regular damage to the muscles and tendons.
The symptoms of the disease
When tendinite the patient does not give rest to the pain in the shoulder area. They occur when you perform certain movements involving lifting and extending a hand.
With a sharp release of the hands, simulating the javelin, the pain becomes sharp. During sleep by changing the position of the hand, the pain intensified. In the diseased area can be observed swelling and redness.
If the disease started, the pain syndrome occurs even at the slightest movement, not related to involvement of the shoulder joint. It might be an ordinary handshake or the compression of any object.
In the joint, restricted mobility and stiffness. In the case of ossification of the tendons and joint capsule there is a characteristic crunching during movement of the hand.
In the later stages of the disease, the pain becomes constant, even at rest. Sometimes it echoes in the elbow joint. Neither swelling nor increase the temperature of the area of the shoulder joint, as a rule, is not observed.
Palpation reveals a painful condition of the front edge of the acromion. Movement of the shoulder joint become very limited. On the basis of clinical attending physician makes a diagnosis and prescribes treatment.
The main objective of treatment for tendinite the shoulder joint is to reduce pain, relieve inflammation with the tendons and the recovery of motor function in the shoulder joint.
The process of therapy performed on an outpatient basis. Great importance is paid to physical exercise aimed at gradual increase of the amplitude of motion.
There are a set of exercises aimed at restoring the health of the tendons and muscles of the shoulder joint. But in any case not to overload the shoulder.
In the initial stages of the disease conservative treatment is not required. Only the easing of stress and applying cold to the affected area.
In severe pain are assigned to the injection of glucocorticoids, anesthetics, and platelet-rich plasma.
They quickly eliminate the painful symptoms and reduce inflammatory process. In some cases, the doctor may prescribe the wearing of a tight bandage or brace.
In the third stage of the disease may be a resection of part of the acromion. This surgery will require further long-term rehabilitation and temporary disability.
A good effect of physiotherapy:
- magnetic therapy;
- paraffin baths;
- laser therapy;
- ultraviolet irradiation;
- ultrasound treatment;
- shock-wave therapy.
Local therapy with ointments and gels has a rapid positive effect. These drugs are applied topically for pre-cleaned skin surface. Rubbing gels, and ointments is recommended for 2-3 times a day.
In the absence of positive results from applying the above methods the patient can be treated with antibiotics.
Positive momentum has treatment tendenitis shoulder folk remedies:
- Curcumin effectively relieves pain and inflammation. It is used as a seasoning for food.
- Fruit cherry contains in its composition of tannins, which are necessary for the treatment of tendinitis. They have a strengthening and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Walnut walls insist on vodka for 20 days. The resulting infusion is taken orally 30 drops before meals.
- Ginger and the root of sarsaparilla in combination with each other have anti-inflammatory effects on tendons and tissue.
If the disease is a consequence of the injury, the first day the injured place must make a cold compress. In the following days, on the contrary, you will need a warming compress.
In any case can not let the disease fester. Chronic phase of pathology is fraught with atrophy of the connective tissue, and in consequence – the complete immobilization of the joints.
On the running stage of the disease conservative treatments do not give the desired effect. So you have to resort to surgery.
To prevent the onset of disease are advised to avoid strenuous exercise on a joint. If the work involves long show of hands, you should take small breaks.
Before the serious sports training, requiring a high voltage, it is necessary to warm-up. The increased loads on the muscles and joints gradually.
If you experience any pain work and training should be suspended. The frequent occurrence of pain from such activities should be avoided at all. Various injuries can also cause disease, so they are possible to be avoided.
In the treatment of tendinitis should strictly observe all recommendations and prescription. Mandatory requirement — the cessation of work associated with heavy loads on the shoulder joint.
Failure to follow these recommendations can cause sharp progress of the disease. As a result of complete immobilization of the joint.