What threatens the development of the sequestered herniation of the spine?
Sequestered herniation of the spine: a complex scenario of hernia
Sequestered herniation of the spine (the sequester) is the most complex option for the development of herniated discs.
This is a dangerous disease which in many cases leads to paralysis, severe pain.
To prevent serious consequences in most cases requires surgery.
Symptoms and signs of disease
The manifestation of this disease is much more difficult than in conventional hernia repair, because the impact on the spinal nerves. Often sequestered herniation of the spine develops in people who for a long time suffer and not engaged in the treatment of protrusion (disc herniation).
The first symptoms of the onset of the disease is always acute so most patients do remember a time when this form of hernia began to bother them.
The first symptom is sudden and very strong pain.
Sometimes in medical practice there were cases of asymptomatic of the disease. If sequestered hernia does not manifest itself, its presence becomes an unpleasant surprise for the patient. Often the disease develops to full paralysis of the limbs.
Provoke the first symptoms of the presence of a sequestered herniation stressful, heavy lifting, hypothermia. The patient feels severe pain in the lumbar region. Limit your movement, up to the loss of mobility of the legs.
The pain is also accompanied by neurological symptoms: reflexes disappear on the leg, legs weak, a feeling of numbness.
The similarity of symptoms sequestered hernia and a regular hernia in the lumbar discs is easy to see. But the difference here will be the speed of development of symptoms. In addition, ordinary hernia rarely leads to paralysis of the legs and complete limitation of motive activity of man.
The danger of a sequestered herniation of the spine:
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
- The danger of paralysis is caused by the displacement of the hernia of the spinal nerve;
- Kernel, trapped in the spinal canal, are an additional hazard. They contain large amounts of protein molecules that can cause inflammatory reaction;
Features symptoms the most common locations of hernias
The most vulnerable point of the back, if we are talking about this kind of hernia is the lumbar.
Especially in cases when a person lifts weights, the unit has a maximum load. Also the spine in this place is the most active.
Most often found sequestered herniated disc l5 s1 (48%), a little less – herniated disc l4 l5.
Data on the intervertebral discs have the maximum load.
In the acute period of the disease in the lumbar spine will be in great pain. At this time, measures should be taken for full anesthesia and to provide continuous bed rest.
Common symptoms of a hernia at level L5—S1:
- Strong constant pain in the lumbosacral spine;
- Due to heavy lifting, exposure to cold intensifies the pain;
- The character of the pain is stabbing and burning in nature. The pain occurs in the hip joint and gradually passes into the foot;
- Cough impulse: the person feels a strong sharp pain in my leg when sneezing or coughing;
- Clearly visible paresthesia, manifested in moving the leg goose bumps, the feeling of cold, burning, etc.
A modern approach to the treatment of sequestered hernias
The problem in the treatment of this disease is associated with and deployed hernia.
In this type of hernia there are inflammatory processes that contribute to the reduction of blood flow in the affected area. As a result, the power spine decreases sharply.
Most often, the hernia is hidden, which creates additional problems in treatment.
All this does not exclude the attempts of conservative therapy, but if it doesn’t help, the doctor prescribes surgery.
A conservative approach to treatment — life without surgery:
- Treatment without surgery is the administration of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Their goal is the elimination of inflammation, which is manifested in the disadvantaged spine. This allows you to eliminate the pain. Drugs are not able to eliminate the hernia. Receiving these drugs should not last more than two months because of possible side effects. An example of drugs of this group is Movalis.
- As conservative methods of treatment occasionally physiotherapy. It helps not in all cases and should be used only as directed by your doctor.
- To eliminate painful spasms of muscles in the course of treatment, the doctor may prescribe muscle relaxants. Novocaine blockade patient segment of the spine in this type of treatment is one of the most common methods. She is able to relieve spasm, reduce swelling. Advantage is a fast effect and validity to three weeks. To repeat a blockade is possible with a frequency of once a week.
- When hernia is accompanied by the combination of the intervertebral joints (common), then effectively the purpose of manual therapy. It is important to consider the inadmissibility of gross manipulation.
It is useful to know! Only half of patients are helped by different physiotherapy treatments. In some cases they even lead to the deterioration of health. Therefore, to turn to this method of treatment should be only on the advice of a doctor.
Sometimes patients are assigned a lumbar brace. It is used in the acute phase of the disease. The patient should be in an upright position, at rest, the bandage should be removed.
Physiotherapy is useful only after complete disappearance of pain syndrome.
Operational approach to treatment — whether to delete sekvenirovaniya hernia?
In many cases surgical treatment is required in a situation when a piece of cartilage broke off from the hernia. If time does not fix this sequester, it can lead to severe neurological disorders.
If the conservative method of treatment, a period of improvement, followed by a period of sharp deterioration, also assigned to the operation.
In cases where conservative treatment fails, surgery.
Modern surgical operations are neurosurgical. They provide an opportunity to minimize the trauma of surgery.