What to do if a sore neck and hurts to turn my head to the side
Why it hurts to turn my neck what to do depending on the situation?
Neck pain is an unpleasant symptom that affects the quality of human life and indicates the presence of serious health problems. Sometimes painful sensations arise suddenly, and in some cases only in certain positions of the head, with tilt, swivel.
Normally, such a phenomenon is not observed if it hurts to turn my neck, it is time to see a doctor.
Penetration into the essence of the problem
Pain in the neck occur for a variety of factors – from the sudden movements, triggered the stretching of the muscles, to such dangerous pathologies such as meningitis, thyroid disease, ischemic heart disease.
But most often sore neck and head almost not rotated in the pathology of muscles, cervical osteochondrosis, disorders of the blood vessels or the nervous system. Most changes are reversible when adequate treatment of the pain disappears, but cannot be ruled out serious diseases as a provoking factor.
Patients feel discomfort in the neck area upon waking and throughout the day say it hurts only when you need to turn or tilt the head.
It is recommended to consult a specialist in case if the pain when turning the head is of an unknown origin, while its intensity becomes more pronounced.
Causes and risk factors
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Pain in the neck that appears when it turns to the side, not always indicates life-threatening abnormalities. Sometimes it hurts to turn my neck for physiological reasons, which include the following:
- stretching of the muscles, which is micronutri muscle fibers during intensive physical strain, during prolonged sitting at a Desk or driving, sudden movements, injuries;
- uncomfortable posture of sleep, in which the head and the spine are in an unnatural position;
- hypothermia, which may be caused by the prolonged presence of outdoors in windy weather or in a ventilated area, a visit to the sauna or bath.
Often the person hurt to turn my neck immediately after waking up. Most often this is due to revisionaries posture of sleep, when the head is thrown back or too high, and the spine curved. Another factor that influences the body position during sleep is a quality mattress and pillows. If they are too soft, the body «falls», is not retained on the surface. In such cases, immediately after sleep a person has discomfort in the neck, which becomes more pronounced when you turn your head to the side. If during sleep I lost feeling in the neck, it will help light exercises.
In more serious cases the discomfort when turning the neck occurs as a result of various pathologies and diseases:
- Myositis — inflammation spreading to the muscles. The pathology is characterized by the expansion vessel in inflamed muscles. The pain occurs when the destruction of immune system cells, which, moving to the site of inflammation, release of tissue mediators of inflammation. Painful sensations in this case are localized on only one side, have a dull character, may be given in the temples, the nape of the neck, right or left part of forehead.
- Low back pain. The patient is very difficult given the head rotation, because there is severe pain in the back of the neck, which gives to the arms, head, between the shoulder blades. Limited mobility of the neck. Additional symptoms of the disease – morning dizziness, memory loss, pain in the head.
- Osteoporosis — loss of bone density, due to which there are frequent fractures of the vertebrae. When you turn your head there is not only severe pain, but the crunch.
- Thyrotoxicosis, is a hormonal disorder caused by hyperthyroidism. The pain that occurs when turning your head, it is oppressive and aching in nature. It is localized in the anterior part of the cervical, and sometimes on the sides. Striking manifestations of the disease – sweating, tremor, eye «bulging».
- The development of malignant tumors in the brain or cervical spine. The pain that occurs when the head turns, has a distinct character.
- Meningitis — inflammation of the membranes of the spinal cord. Pathology is accompanied by fever, severe pain in the neck when trying to lower the chin down.
- Myocardial infarction. In this case, it hurts to turn my neck to the left side, discomfort occurs in the front.
We need to mention about a reason as psycho-emotional trauma. Prolonged stress and nervousness can occur psychogenic pain in various parts of the body, including the cervical region and spine. While soft tissue injuries or muscle absent.
The clinical picture
Depending on what triggered the appearance of pronounced discomfort when turning your head, you may notice the following additional symptoms:
- seal and increase the size of the thyroid gland, disorders of hearing and vision, fast weight loss without any reason, difficulty of swallowing (if the pathology of the thyroid gland);
- loss of sensation and spasm in the upper limbs, swelling and formation of a haematoma, headache (in muscles);
violations of motor coordination, unstable blood pressure, fatigue, numbness in the neck and limbs (osteochondrosis);
- difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, tingling in the fingers of the upper extremities, numbness (sciatica);
- cramps, intolerance of light, semiconscious state, rash with red or purple items (with meningitis).
If you have additional symptoms that accompany the discomfort in the neck when you turn your head, you should immediately consult a doctor.
What can be done immediately?
What can you do if you suddenly aching neck, and the head barely turns a few inches in the side:
- to make the body horizontal position so that the neck was in a state of rest;
- take the pills from the group of analgesics;
- to try to stretch my muscle, doing light exercises (to make tilting the head back and forth, and circular movements);
- RUB problem area with the ointment with a warming effect.
In any case can not endure the pain: perhaps it indicates the presence of life-threatening pathologies. To determine the exact cause can specialist.
Depending on the predominant symptoms and nature of pain a survey carried out by the therapist, traumatologist, neurologist, ENT doctor or a cardiologist.
Approach to diagnosis and treatment
If the patient is suspected degenerative changes in the structure of the spine (in particular low back pain), diagnosis using the following methods:
- blood and urine samples to study their composition;
- magnetic resonance imaging;
- computed tomography;
- Vascular ultrasound of the neck and head.
Also of great importance is the implementation of measures for differential diagnosis. Pathology in the spine structure must be differentiated from diseases of the ear and tonsils, of tumors, posttraumatic changes, diseases of mental character.
Treatment in this case is based on the intake of medicines, conducting physiotherapy procedures, and in some cases surgical intervention. Conservative therapy involves the use of chondroprotectors, analgesics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Good effect ultrasonic therapy, electrophoresis, massage.
If the neck was injured either in her region conducted surgical procedures, it is recommended to wear a special
orthopedic collar Trench. Depending on the variety, the device is either fully captures and immobilizes the neck, or only partially fixes the cervical spine and promotes correct posture.
The surgery can be performed in the case where could not eliminate the cause of neck pain using conservative methods. This type of treatment is required in the presence of injuries, compression of the spinal cord and spinal roots, which causes the progression of neurological disorders, as well as the destruction of the vertebra associated with the infectious process.
If you suspect a malfunction of the thyroid gland and pathology of the endocrine system, diagnosis is carried out using the following methods:
- Ultrasound of the thyroid gland;
- visual inspection and palpation of the body;
- blood tests for hormone levels glands;
- needle biopsy of the thyroid gland.
In this case, the treatment can be conservative (hormonal therapy) or surgical.
If meningitis is suspected, the conduct immunological and bacteriological studies, CT scans, chest x-ray, echoencephalography. Treatment is based on the use of antibiotics, interferons, means for detoxification.
The risk of pain when turning head is that, if you ignore this symptom, you can start the pathological process. It is fraught with the most adverse effects: meningitis in the absence of timely and adequate treatment leads to death. If discomfort in the neck in its turn, appears due to tumor tumors, the consequence could be a rapid development of the pathological process, rolling to an incurable stage.
If you ignore pain in the neck, which indicate the problems with locomotor apparatus, it is possible to achieve movement disorders of the vertebrae, vertebral disk deformation that leads to curvature of spine, salt deposits and even the formation of a hump.
So when you turn your head did not hurt the neck should follow these rules:
- sleep on correctly picked up orthopedic pillows and mattresses that provide the correct position of the spine during rest;
- to monitor the posture;
- prolonged stay in one position to do a light workout for the cervical and body;
- if the work relates to the static position of the body, to be held from time to time courses Wellness massage;
to do at least moderate exercise;
- daily to do warm-up the shoulder girdle, making turns and head tilts to the side, the circular turns of the shoulders, giving the chest back and forth and side to side.
Upon detection of anxiety symptoms should immediately contact a specialist. This will not start a serious process and to preserve the health and possibly life.