Why swollen knees and legs above and below the joint to the foot
Why swollen knees and the leg above and below the joint
Swelling of the knee is a symptom of the inflammatory process, which may occur due to various diseases of the joints, injuries or other reasons.
As the reasons why swollen knees very much at the early stages of development of the pain to diagnose specific factor that triggered the tumor can be very difficult.
Inflammatory processes in the joints of the feet can occur completely differently, vary in severity and have different causes.
At the same time to determine what the inflammatory process is the place to be, in principle, independently very easily. In addition to swelling and causes redness, impaired mobility of knee joint and tenderness when touched.
About the causes of swollen knees
Inflammation can provoke external influence and internal causes various diseases.
Among the reasons why swollen feet in the area of knee joints can be identified:
- Injury. Basically edema is formed after an injury of the knee joint. The condition is accompanied by pain, discoloration of the skin, can occur subcutaneous hemorrhage. In addition to the bruises edema occur after fractures or torn ligaments.
- Hypothermia. The seal will occur only after some time when the joint will start to happen irreversible processes.
- Infection of an internal character. In this case, in the region of the knee joint develops present in the body of the infection.
- Allergies. May occur as a reaction to an insect bite.
- Tendonitis — inflammation of tendon due to constant muscle overload.
- Bursitis — the defeat of the joint capsule.
- Gout — inflammation of the large salt deposits.
- Vascular disease.
- Kidney disease, the heart.
- The violation of the lymph circulation.
- Pathology of the endocrine system.
If the swelling went up…
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Swelling may be localized in different areas of the lower extremities. For example, if swelling of the feet emerged above the knee, this is due to the following reasons:
- Injuries of the knee joint. Among them: bruise, dislocation, sprain, damage to the meniscus. To distinguish serious injury from a regular injury can be very simple. Damage of the meniscus will be present severe pain and inability to fully straighten the leg. When you sprain tibia becomes movable. In the case of dislocation of the knee is taking strain.
- The bursitis. When bursitis the skin becomes hot to the touch, when palpation under the skin grope small lumps. Very often the patient can not move independently.
- Tendonitis — inflammation in the tendons by which muscles are attached to bones. In case of damage knee is very sore when moving, swollen ankles, above and below the knee.
- Gout. This disease has a chronic character. Arthritic symptoms appear not only in the area of the joints of the fingers and toes, but also in the knee region. The skin becomes red, there is intense pain. An attack may last for several days and then disappear.
- Septic arthritis. Kind of arthritis infectious nature, which can cause a variety of bacteria. Swelling is accompanied by pain, chills, redness of the skin.
- Osteoporosis. Often the symptoms are aggravated at the time of weather changes. Pain can have different degrees of severity. During the movement of the affected joint is sore and there discomfort.
- Polyarthritis — arthritis, allergic nature caused by the allergen entered the body. Swelling of the knee accompanied by urticaria, bronchospasm, and nausea. In this case, the inflammation goes away pretty quickly.
Swelling deep in the foot
Swelling of the leg below the knee in addition to the above purely articular problems may be caused by the following reasons:
- Heart disease. Circulatory failure leads to the formation of bilateral soft swelling. Swellings appear in the evening hours, with the development of the disease, they become permanent. In this case there is induration.
- Diseases of the blood vessels. Venous insufficiency occurs when venous thrombosis or varicose veins. When blockage of the veins by a blood clot swells, usually one leg. Swelling of the ankle can rise much above the knee. Leg thus acquires a bluish color and becomes firm to the touch. Touch cause pain.
- Chronic venous insufficiency is manifested by soft swellings which take place in the morning, because during sleep the flow of blood improves. Swelling accompanied by a discoloration of the skin, heaviness in the limbs, aching, varicose veins become very visible spots may appear and ulcers.
- Kidney disease. Edema occur in severe degree of the pathological process. They affect both legs from the knee down to the foot. Tumors of the soft, pale skin.
- Lymphatic swelling in lymphedema. Appear as a result of stagnation of lymph. The swelling starts from the feet and can affect the hip.
Localization is bilateral or unilateral. First, the fabric remain soft, and then there’s the seal. Leather has a very dark tint. Foot may increase greatly in size.
If the knee is swollen and hurts badly, then you can avoid a trip to the doctor would be impossible, however, it is necessary to provide first aid in the home.
What activities can be done in this case, to the maximum extent possible to reduce pain and avoid worsening of the situation:
- If the knee is constantly sore, should be possible to immobilize the leg and try not to make the same type of movements that load the knee joint.
- Very good helps to cope with swelling ice. Pieces of ice need to wrap the cloth and apply to the swelling no more than fifteen minutes. The procedure can be repeated, but no more than four times a day. Instead of ice, you can use any product from the freezer.
- Put your foot in a stretched position on the hill below the level her feet were just above the heart.
- Take anti — inflammatory drugs- Ibuprofen, Aspirin.
A set of measures
Treatment for edema of the knee will depend on the underlying cause.
Based on how great a variety of diseases that cause swelling, medication should not be confined to one group of drugs, and must include a component acting on the specific cause of the pathology development.
So, we can distinguish the following different groups of drugs used in therapy:
- diuretics — Furosemide, Indapamide;
- decongestant — L-lysine escinate;
- improves lymph flow — Lymphomyosot;
- anti-inflammatory — Meloxicam Diclofenac;
- Allergy — Tavegil, Suprastin.
Also, some diseases involve specific therapy. In septic arthritis antibiotic treatment. If you have kidney disease appointed corticosteroids and cytostatics. Pathology of the endocrine system treated by thyroid hormone. In the case of thrombosis are appointed anticoagulants and antiplatelet agents.
Physiotherapy is used not only in trauma but also in diseases of the joints — arthritis and osteoarthritis, venous insufficiency, tendinite and lymphodema. Such procedures stimulate biochemical processes in tissues, improve blood circulation and vascular tone.
Under the procedures of physical therapy means:
- electrophoresis and phonophoresis of medicines;
- magnetic therapy;
- laser treatment;
It is important to know that during pregnancy, infectious disease and heart disease, these procedures are contraindicated.
Manual therapy and therapeutic exercise
Therapeutic exercise is an integral part of the treatment of trauma, tendinitis, diseases of the musculoskeletal system. Exercises help to more quickly regain range of motion and preventing stiffness of joints.
Classes should be held regularly. In any case it is impossible to prevent the occurrence of pain during training.
Massage is very effective for lymphedema and venous insufficiency. Considered to be the most effective vacuum and lymphatic drainage techniques.
Gout very well reduce swelling helps iodotherapy. For this purpose, a solution of iodine and aspirin, which cuticles affected areas. Also prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs.
The operations are performed when knee injuries — in the event of damage to the meniscus or sprain.
Bursitis is treated using thermal processes, immobilization of the knee, taking painkillers and anti-inflammatories. Sometimes surgery is required.
Case thrombosis severe when other methods to restore patency of the vessels is impossible. In this case, you retrieve the clot.
Varicose veins and remove diseased veins. When lymphedema restore vascular patency for lymph.
Offers traditional medicine?
In cases when the knee was swollen, but not very much folk treatment can be only auxiliary and should be under strict medical supervision.
Recommended recipes and methods:
- To do washing with a decoction of medicinal comfrey, burdock and cranberries. Components need to pour a liter of water and boil until, until it boils away half a liter. After this decoction should strain and rinse swelling.
- Grate the fresh potatoes to a mushy consistency. The resulting tool put on the swollen area and wrap the top with cling film and top with a cotton cloth. This compress should be kept for at least two hours, and leave on all night.
- Fill large fabric bags or pillowcases fresh birch leaves. To put there feet so that the sheets covered his legs above the knees. This procedure is carried out for several hours. By the end of the procedure will begin severe sweating in the lower extremities. After that, leaves will need to be replaced for fresh.
- With a small swelling helps healing lotion clay. It needs to be applied to the inflamed place.
- To make a footbath. To do this in hot water, add a teaspoon of baking soda, a small spoonful of iodine and a glass of salt. Legs should be dipped in the solution and keep for half an hour. This procedure is desirable to perform not less than ten days.
Keep the knees health is possible — but how?
If there is a tendency to such problems, you should:
- To keep from time to time the legs are in the raised position. It promotes normal blood circulation.
- Wear elastic stockings. They are sold as for both women and men.
- To review their menu and try how to eat less salty food. Salt interferes with the normal excretion of fluids from the body.
Swelling are not independent disease, therefore, by themselves constitute a danger, they can not. However, to ignore their appearance is not necessary, because it is a sign of a pathological process, which arises due to the deterioration of a disease.
With the appearance of edema is not necessary to postpone visit to a specialist. The sooner taken, the better and faster will be the treatment.