Why swollen right and left foot in the foot: causes, treatment, complications
Why swollen feet in feet: causes and treatment
Swelling feet is a symptom of many disorders, manifested in the form of increased and swelling due to fluid accumulation in the soft tissues.
Often this condition is accompanied by severe discomfort, itching, redness, feeling of heaviness. Edema can occur in person’s with chronic diseases and completely healthy person.
About the causes of swelling
This pathology may occur periodically and be a reaction to any irritant or can be chronic due to the disruption of the internal organs or due to failures in the systems of the body.
Swelling of a temporary nature
Podiatrist Dikul: «the Penny product is No. 1 to restore the normal blood supply to the joints. Back and joints will be like in 18 years, enough time in the day to smear… Read more
Swelling in this case caused by the impact of unfavorable factors, or any allergen. Among the common reasons why swollen feet on the legs are the following:
- Constantly being in a seated position, for example, sedentary work. In this case, swelling can occur not only in the feet. In the future, you may develop varicose veins or thrombosis.
- An uncomfortable posture during sleep. If the person slept in an uncomfortable position, it can cause impaired blood flow. In the morning there is swelling which then subsides.
- Excessive consumption of sweet or salty food. The person drinks a large amount of fluid, which does not have time to be excreted from the body, especially for people with problems of the kidneys.
- Premenstrual syndrome. Swelling in this case also involves a violation of excretion of fluids from the body.
- The use of alcoholic beverages, leading to disruption of water balance. Man tries to compensate for the deficiency of fluid in the body, it leads to edema.
- Heat. Due to the strong heat there is a delay fluid in the body. Especially in people with excess weight experience swelling not only of the feet, and hands.
- When a large amount of water you drink for the night.
- Mechanical trauma. Swelling of the foot in this case takes place in a few days.
- The use of medicines. Some medications can cause allergies.
Swelling caused by serious diseases, do not pass quickly. To determine the exact cause of this condition need to visit a specialist.
Among the diseases that cause swelling of the feet, are the following:
- Osteoarthritis. This is a fairly common cause of swelling. Observed on the right or left foot due to swelling of the capsule of the joint and compression of the blood vessels that are close.
- Vascular diseases — varicose veins, thrombosis, thrombophlebitis, phlebitis. Swelling are not very long, accompanied by severe pain, resulting in disturbed gait of the patient and notes the persistent fatigue.
- Disorders in the kidneys. In this case, there is fluid retention in the body.
- Pathology of the heart. Edema have been observed particularly in the evening hours. As the severity of the disease, the swelling is diagnosed and also in the upper part of the legs and body.
- Disorders in the endocrine system. Swelling observed in the feet, shanks, shoulder Department, in addition to the edema observed constipation and sudden weight changes.
Swelling during pregnancy is normal?
Leg swelling in feet during pregnancy is a very common phenomenon. This condition can be caused by multiple reasons:
- violation of the outflow of blood from the growing uterus;
- excessive consumption of salty foods, which is very often «pulls» pregnant.
Transferred hard swelling occurring after mid-gestation. During this period, in addition to swelling, there may be convulsions in the lower extremities, severe pain in the legs. Especially these symptoms bother you at night.
Swelling during pregnancy is not a pathology, therefore, to resolve this issue, the woman will be enough to relax, lie down on side, drink diuretics.
However, if the swelling subsides at rest, the woman begins to rapidly gain weight, the swelling becomes extensive, move on hands, face, lower back, then we can talk about the complication.
This pathology is called «preeclampsia». Severe preeclampsia increases the pressure released protein in the urine. This condition is very dangerous and can bring great harm to the fetus.
Therefore, the pregnant woman must be hospitalized. At the time of pregnancy is forbidden to carry out self-treatment, because many drugs have a lot of contraindications. The same applies to the treatment folk remedies. Such methods can be resorted to only after medical consultation.
Differential diagnosis of
Differential diagnosis is done to determine the disease and further specialized treatment:
- Thrombosis swelling is one-sided, has not abated during the day, the skin becomes bluish tint.
- With varicose veins swells, both the left and the right foot from the foot up to the knee. In addition to swelling redness and pain, feeling of heaviness and spots on the skin.
- Thrombophlebitis except for swelling of the foot there is severe pain and burning sensation in the veins, swelling of the soft.
- For osteoarthritis swelling first occurs in the upper part of the foot and then spreads across the surface.
- For heart disease the skin is pinkish, soft swelling, prolonged illness becomes dense.
- When endocrine disorders edema dense, initially decrease in the morning and then subsides.
- Arthritis foot swelling is often bilateral, soft, accompanied by pain and stiffness in the joint.
- When kidney disease this symptom occurs on the severe stages of the disease, at the primary stages swollen face, swelling of the feet soft.
- Phlebitis. In this case, poured the foot on one leg, accompanied by redness and pain in the area of Vienna.
First aid in the detection of edema
If it is impossible to immediately visit the doctor at first to reduce swelling of the foot as follows:
- to take the supine position so that his feet were on the rise;
- wipe feet with the ice, it is especially useful to prepare the ice from the infusion of herbs — sage, chamomile, yarrow;
- reduce your consumption of fluid and salt;
- not to stand and not sit for too long;
- not to wear socks or stockings with tight elastic;
- to do massage of the foot and toes;
- to perform light exercises, for example, spread his fingers, Flex the foot, pull the sock;
- if the swelling occurred because of an injury, better not to stand on the damaged leg and have to wrap the foot with an elastic bandage.
And related symptoms
Edema symptoms will be varied. This is due to the diversity of factors that cause this condition.
Among the common symptoms that are visible to the naked eye can distinguish:
- stop greatly increases in size;
- swollen fingers;
- skin color changes, it becomes bluish or red.
Also there is a feeling of discomfort, heaviness, itching and sometimes pain.
Approach to therapy
Since swelling of the feet is only an accompanying symptom, not an independent disease, treatment will be aimed at addressing the root causes.
If the problem lies in the edema of chronic disease, treatment may appoint a doctor after a medical examination:
- If the swelling is caused by the disturbance of the water balance in the body, it is necessary to reduce the amount of fluid intake recommended daily allowance — half to two liters a day. You should also exclude the use of salt. Very effective in this case is salt-free diet. Thus it is possible to ensure the smooth withdrawal of the fluid without overloading the kidneys.
- For those who are not moving and has a sedentary job, it is recommended to wear elastic stockings, exercise and massage the legs, to do contrast baths.
- Eliminates post-traumatic swelling by using cold compresses and temporary immobilization of the legs.
- Heart diseases specialist assigns diuretics, means for normalizing the functioning of the heart and a special diet.
- In vascular diseases will also require specific treatment, which is based on the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory, phlebotonics funds. In the case of a running of varicose veins is sometimes surgical intervention is necessary.
- Treatment of osteoarthritis in addition to taking medication is produced by passing the physiotherapy, oxygen therapy — oxygen saturation of joints, physical therapy, orthopedic compliance regime, diet.
- Qualified treatment requires also a kidney disease and disorders in the endocrine system.
If the time to seek medical help and to fulfill all the requirements, the swelling will take place by itself.
Recipes of traditional medicine
In view of the fact that any swelling is the result of accumulation of fluid in the first place should pay attention to diuretics.
Recipes for the preparation of infusions many,the most famous of them:
- mix equal parts cucumber juice of carrot and lemon drink three times a day, the drink can be diluted with warm water;
- mix the juice of milkweed, and egg yolk;
- dry mint pour boiling water and taken daily after food;
- a spoonful of flax seed, pour a water, boil for about 20 minutes, to insist within hours, the infusion you can do not strain, make hot.
Equally effective and baths, which in addition to well remove swelling and foot fatigue. As these recipes have absolutely no contraindications, they can be used in pregnancy.
- mix equal parts of mint, birch leaves, chamomile. approximately 100 g of the contents pour boiling water, infuse for hour, then diluted in the hot water (it should not exceed 38 degrees). Feet to float for 10 minutes;
- take 100 gr of juniper berries, sea of soda, teaspoon of dry mustard and two tablespoons of tablespoon of soda, cover with water, mix, dilute in hot water and soak my feet;
- the use decoctions of herbs or sea salt for contrast baths. The feet should be placed alternately in hot and then in cold water.
Treatment of idiopathic edema
The term «idiopathic» means arising independently or caused by atypical factors. Such conditions include angioedema that occurs as an allergic reaction.
It can affect all areas of the body, the face, places with large accumulation of subcutaneous fat and even the mucous membranes.
Also causes edema may be:
- insect bites;
- different foods;
- fluff or wool;
- viral infection;
- the presence of parasites.
Angioedema may be accompanied by anaphylactic shock and hives. Treatment begins with isolating the patient from the allergen that caused the condition and relief of symptoms.
Hormonal therapy — treatment with glucocorticosteroids (Prednisone, Dexamethasone) is conducted to relieve swelling and normalize body functions.
Desensibiliziruyuschee therapy — treatment with antihistamines (Suprastin, Tavegil, Pipolfen) as a secondary therapy is to reduce the sensitivity of the organism to the action of the allergen and prevention of relapse.
It is also very important to exclude from menu foods that can trigger an allergic reaction. Among them:
- fish, marine products;
The hidden danger
In any case, do not underestimate the emergence of such a state.
At the slightest manifestations of swelling should immediately seek medical attention.
Because the swelling is just a sign of a serious disease requiring professional treatment.
Timely therapy will help prevent kidney failure, heart attack, exacerbation of diseases of the joints, removal of a blood clot, blockage of blood vessels, which can lead to gangrene.