Treatment for mumps in adults — symptoms and prevention
How to treat mumps in adults?
Mumps is an infectious disease which in the vernacular is called «pig». This pathology is very often seen in children as the virus of mumps, especially affects children 5 to 15 years. But today this disease is often noted in the adult age, due to the fact that many adults just considerably lowered protective functions of an organism.
For doctors treatment for mumps in adults – the question is much more complicated, as the flow of the disease is very difficult and the high possibility of complications. Talk about what seems to be this pathology, as is the treatment and how it can be saved.
What is the mumps
Mumps – an acute infection that is caused by paramyxovirus, is unstable to high temperatures, UV radiation and other environmental effects. The disease is characterized by lesions of special glands of the human body (salivary, pancreatic and seed), including the nervous system.
Also, the disease is called, as already earlier mentioned «pig» and «mumps». Names such pathology was due to that swollen salivary glands, which are located in front of the ear shells, thus forming the characteristic swelling.
Mumps is spread by airborne droplets. The source of infection may be exceptionally patient man who becomes infectious before the appearance of initial symptoms and remains so for another for 9 days.
Help. In the period 12-24 hours before the onset of the primary symptoms a person becomes a distributor of this disease without knowing it.
The mumps virus first enters on mucous cavities of the mouth and throat, then spreads through the bloodstream, penetrating into the internal organs. The infection predominantly affects the soft lining of the brain, salivary glands, pancreas and seminal glands.
The incubation period of the disease can last from several weeks to one month. The main symptom of mumps in adults, treatment is a very important task for doctors is the swelling and soreness in the salivary glands, the ears, while the ear lobe is a little raised, and the ear — bulged.
Body temperature may rise even up to 40°C and held at this elevation for several days. 7 days later after the appearance of the disease the temperature is reduced, and the swelling subsides. Approximately 10 day all signs of mumps permanently lost.
Mumps: the disease
Mumps can occur in different ways, which is why to diagnose pathology it is important to identify the form and its clinical forms.
This must be done in order to determine the appropriate strategy of therapy and to prevent the likelihood of some complications.
In order to avoid negative consequences it is necessary to determine the type of this disease and begin early treatment.
The disease is divided into such types with their characteristic features:
- epidemic – a disease that still often occurs in children, but adults also does not shy away from. The inflammation occurs one of the parotid glands (rarely both). There is swelling in the area of the ear and chin. If it evolved to a complex shape, the appearance of inflammation, but the mumps is a rare phenomenon;
- non-epidemic – more dangerous form of pathology. It can develop when salivary gland stones, salivary gland trauma or due to the ingress of pathogens from oral mucosa. This type usually manifests in adults as a complication of infectious diseases.
In turn, non-epidemic parotitis is divided into the following forms, depending on other diseases present in a patient:
- Catarrhal – there is exfoliation of the tissues of the gland ducts and the accumulation of in the thick liquid.
- Suppurative occurs purulent fusion of some sections of the salivary gland.
- Gangrenous form, which is characterized by partial or complete withering away of the gland.
The symptoms of mumps
Such diseases as mumps is characterized by such symptoms as frequent headaches, significant rise in body temperature, pain on the tongue, swelling and inflammation of the salivary glands.
Symptoms purulent form occurs only in the second half of the disease.
In that case, if the mumps developed in an adult due to the effects of the postoperative period, the symptoms are already evident on day 5 after the operation.
This kind of disease can be without evident manifestations of the symptoms. Other common symptoms in the early stages of the disease in an adult following:
- weakness, fatigue;
- nausea, vomiting;
- refusal to eat, drowsiness;
- muscle pain;
- hearing loss;
- swelling of the salivary glands;
- pain when touching the ears and chin;
- reduction in salivary flow.
If the disease occurs in an adult classically, that a special survey is required. In unusual cases may be diagnosis based on the examination of blood, urine, runoff from the pharynx, saliva and cerebrospinal fluid. Based on these studies, a specialist establishes the diagnosis.
Previously it was noted that the mumps at an older age can cause severe complications.
These include the following diseases:
Mumps especially dangerous for men who have as complications can develop such a pathology as orchitis. It can lead to a lifelong infertility.
In the case of orchitis and meningitis patients assigned to treatment with corticosteroids, such as «Prednisone». The treatment course is 1 week.
Attention! Conduct self-therapy mumps in adults is in any case impossible, because the disease threat various serious complications.
Only a specialist will be able to control the flow of this disease and to avert adverse effects.
Treatment of mumps
First of all, here I should draw attention to the fact that the treatment of the mumps in adults with antibiotics is not possible, since antibiotics can not affect the viruses.
Special medicines that can cope with the paramyxovirus simply no.
And generally some specific treatment for mumps exists. If an abnormal condition occurs without complications, cure it at home. If there is severe disease, the patient treated in hospital.
If you dwell on the peculiarities of treatment of the disease, it should be noted that the main objective is to prevent complications. First and foremost, patients prescribed strict compliance with bed rest at least for 10 day.
In the treatment of mumps used this scheme:
- diet. It is to avoid fried, fatty, spicy foods, pickles, marinades, and limit your consumption of white bread and pasta products. All food should be chopped;
- compliance with drinking regime. The patient must ensure to drink plenty of liquids. For this purpose, suitable weak tea, berry and fruit fruit drinks and teas from rose hips;
- after each meal the patient should rinse the mouth with warm mixture of baking soda and water (1 teaspoon per Cup of water), a decoction of sage, or chamomile.
With regard to pharmacological treatment, mainly symptomatic and it runs as follows:
- Antihistamines – claritin, «Suprastin».
- Anti-inflammatory antipyretics is «Acetaminophen», «Panadol».
- Vitamin complex «Complivit».
- Alcohol and oil compresses on the area of the inflamed glands.
- Physiotherapy in the form of UHF and UV irradiation.
Help. Warm swollen the area with heating pads while mumps is expressly prohibited.
Strict adherence to all prescribed by a doctor appointments will help to alleviate the course of disease and avoid complications.
Prevention of mumps
We have acquainted the reader with such a disease as mumps in adults, pictures symptoms and treatment which are presented in this article. But there is another important question about how to protect themselves from this disease.
Unfortunately today, there are so far the only way to prevent this disease is vaccination, which started in the mid 60 – ies.
Adult vaccination against mumps is not done, as it is considered inefficient. Usually children are vaccinated at the age from 1 year to 2.
Non-specific preventive measures prevention of mumps include the following:
- isolation of the patient until 9 days of the disease;
- ventilation of the dwelling, preferably several times a day. This reduces the threat of infecting the rest home;
- mask mode;
- disinfection of household items;
- strengthening the immune system.
After suffering illness in humans produces immunity for a lifetime to this virus.
Mumps is a very serious disease that is marked by a gravity flow and a large list of all sorts of serious complications. All this can be avoided if timely to recognize the disease and to approach his treatment responsibly. What’s most important in this case is the access to a doctor, to help cope with this disease.
Also you can read detailed information about such diseases allergic otitis and salpingitis.