Ultrasound of the bladder: how to prepare, indications for
Methodology of ultrasonic studies of the bladder refers to the most common, effective and efficient methods of diagnosis. Ultrasound of the bladder is appointed as identify various pathologies, residual urine volume, and to control the flow of the treatment process. The advantages of ultrasonography of organs of the urogenital system are the simplicity, high efficiency and effectiveness of the obtained result in cystitis and other diseases of the pelvic organs.
Indications for ultrasound of the bladder
Ultrasound examination of the bladder refers to the safe and effective methods and therefore is assigned even for infants and pregnant women. We can distinguish the following cases in which it is necessary to conduct the procedure:
- Ultrasound of the bladder is assigned in acute or chronic cystitis in women and men.
- The appearance in the urine droplets of blood, which may occur in cystitis, urolithiasis and various inflammatory processes. Ultrasound helps the doctor to make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the necessary treatment.
- Suspected cancer the tumor in the genitourinary area and the pelvic organs in women.
- The study is appointed and in the case when the patient is troubled by the feeling of incomplete emptying of the urine tank. The presence in the body of residual urine after visiting the toilet is a symptom that may indicate cystitis and other inflammatory or neoplastic processes in organs of small pelvis in women.
How do ultrasound of the bladder in women?
Ultrasonography of the urogenital tract in women is one of the following methods:
- Abdominal, that is, using a special sensor examines the external front wall of the abdominal cavity.
- By internal research that involves the injection of a transducer through the urethra or rectum.
- Transvaginal: the sensor apparatus is inserted into the body to ultrasound of the bladder in women directly through the vagina. This method has certain advantages over the others, as it allows to deduce on the monitor the picture high quality not only of the urinary tract and other pelvic organs such as uterus or ovaries.
- If the woman has a disruption of the normal outflow of urine, such as cystitis, it is recommended that ultrasound of the bladder with determination of residual urine. The essence of this technique is to conduct a double ultrasound: the first diagnosis is conducted on a full bladder, the second after its evacuation. The main indicator of this method is the volume of residual urine. Normally, this amount should not exceed 50 ml.
The patient during the study, whatever method it may be carried out, must remain in a fixed position. Even the slightest movement can distort the picture of the diagnosis and to make the obtained results unreliable.
Preparation for ultrasound of the bladder
Order ultrasound examination of the bladder gave the highest quality image, the study must be properly prepared. The procedure is carried out only with the full bladder. In this case, the machine shows the most accurate results. This gives you the opportunity to determine the volume, size and wall thickness of the body, which is very important for diagnosis.
How to fill bladder
At the time of diagnosis, the bladder should be completely filled. Filling it in need to prepare in advance. To do this in about 1-1,5 hours before the procedure you should drink at least 2 liters of fluid. It can be non-carbonated mineral water, tea or juice. In case to receive the filling fails, you need to drink more fluid, with a volume of at least 0.5–1 l
In some cases where an ultrasound is scheduled for a certain time, you can just for few hours try not to visit the toilet. The filling volume will be a natural physiological way.
If you want to hold an urgent ultrasound of the bladder, and the opportunity to prepare in advance, it is recommended the administration of diuretics, medicines with a diuretic effect.
But what if the patient has filled the bladder volume, and the procedure is still time? There are two ways out of this situation: you can try to empty the urine tank partially, trying to leave in it a sufficient quantity of liquid. But this method is not for everyone, so as to stop in time not everyone can. In this case, immediately after urination you need to drink at least 1.5–2 liters of fluid. This ensures that the entire tank volume of urine to the position of the time will be filled completely.
Rectal ultrasound sensors
If a patient is assigned an internal ultrasound with the introduction of the sensor into the rectum, he will also need to pre-prepare for the study. With the help of cleansing enemas the volume of the intestine should be freed from content.
Diet before the procedure
Immediately before performing the diagnostic procedure the patient should not eat anything and the day before diagnosis, you should refrain from eating foods that help you poop in the organs of the gastrointestinal tract. Such products include whole milk, peas, beans, corn, cabbage. 1-2 days before diagnosis it is not recommended to drink alcoholic beverages. On the day of the ultrasound of the bladder need to stop Smoking, since nicotine and other substances contained in tobacco, can distort the results of the study.