Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder: features of the recommendations
Ultrasonography (us) is the most easy, painless and safe method that gives necessary information about the structure of the internal organs and their functioning. This diagnostic method is used for examination of adults and children, as it has no contraindications.
In some cases, doing an ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder? How to prepare for the procedure the doctor was able to know these bodies and to make the correct diagnosis?
What are the advantages of research?
To date, ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder — the most convenient and affordable diagnostic method that gives an objective picture of the pathology and allowing to find the cause of discomfort in the body.
This method of diagnosis has no effect on the entire body, does not cause injuries, after-effects and gives you the opportunity to prepare well for treatment or surgical intervention.
That shows diagnostics?
Ultrasound examination is performed with the use of special sensors that emit ultrasonic waves. The response of the internal organs by means of graphic representation of the ultrasound is displayed on the monitor screen. The study can be obtained in black and white and color formats, or in combination with the Doppler.
If you properly prepare for the procedure, ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder gives the opportunity to explore the entire urinary system at the same time.
The examination using ultrasound the physician finds the components of paired organs, precisely determines their size, thickness, sharpness of contours, the density of the parenchyma, of the bark, examining the Cup-pelvis-plating apparatus. The results of the diagnosis, the doctor makes a conclusion about the presence of stones, tumors, inclusions, and other modifications.
Examination of the bladder by ultrasound allows to determine the wall thickness, the presence of urine, sand, stones, polyps, tumors. The doctor can determine the form and assess the level of patency of the body.
When you need ultrasound diagnosis?
This is very informative and painless diagnosis doing to urologist had the opportunity to check on the status of the entire urinary system and notice pathological changes in any of its Department at an early stage of development.
Indications for ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder are:
- symptoms that indicate the presence of inflammation in the kidneys;
- pain in the lumbar;
- the symptoms pointing to the bladder stones;
- the need to ensure that no tumors or, on the contrary, her presence;
- vegetative-vascular dystonia;
- high blood pressure;
- kidney disease acute and chronic form, including the infectious;
- the likelihood of abnormal development of paired organs;
- the injuries of back and abdomen;
- indications of laboratory studies, evidence of a particular disease;
- urogenital infections;
- the baseline medical examination and prophylactic medical examination;
- control after kidney transplantation;
- preparing for surgery;
- pain during urination, obstruction of urine outflow;
- the control reaction urinary system treatment.
Preparations for the research
Any special preparation for the ultrasound examination of the kidneys is not required. As for the bladder, the preparation of the patient for ultrasonography should be aware that the bladder at the time of the surveys shall be filled with urine. That is, for a couple of hours before the scheduled time you need to drink two-three glass of tea or water and urinate more is not necessary.
How is the study?
For the study of the kidneys, the patient can lie on the couch or stand. The sensor apparatus is located on the back (translumbalna access), the abdomen (transabdominal access), side (front access). The study will require approximately 15 minutes.
- Ultrasound can detect abnormalities of renal vessels, especially the survey it is important for newborns, as it can be used to detect incremental incremental artery or vein of the body that can cause disorders of urine outflow. The device will also show where there are concretions, their sizes, and the condition of the pelvis.
- If the patient is suffering from urolithiasis, the kidneys accumulate salt crystals, which differ in localization, size, shape. When the prolapse of small stones in the ureter is broken the flow of urine.
- Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder helps to detect pyelonephritis in a chronic stage that is characterized by the fact that the pelvis expand and disrupted the flow of urine. Poor circulation inside the body in this disease leads to. what develops hypertension.
- Investigation of kidneys ultrasound is the only type of diagnostics that can identify the absence of one of them.
- Ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder helps to identify glomerulonephritis — bilateral disease of the kidneys caused by damage to renal glomeruli.
- The ultrasound method gives excellent results for the detection of cystic formations which can be both single and multiple (polycystic). When polycystic during the diagnosis, the doctor sees on the screen a bunch of grapes. Ultrasound gives the opportunity to prepare well to surgical intervention.
- During the ultrasound easily detected visually benign and malignant tumors in tissue with higher density. But to determine malignant or benign is education, only examining blood or pieces of tissue, taken by biopsy or laparoscopy.
- Ultrasound easily detected the calculi in the cavity of the bladder. They can be formed in the body (the primary), as well as in the kidneys and the ureters, and urine to reach the urinary bladder (secondary). Ultrasound shows the number, types, size.
- The thickening of the body wall, which is visible at the diagnostic indicates a cystitis.
- When performing ultrasound of the bladder in women detected the tumor are visible as growths that protrude into its lumen, and sometimes even bulge out. Diagnostics allows to determine their size, density and localization.
- If the ureters are normal, then during a diagnostic ultrasound, the doctor will not see them.
After diagnosis, the doctor needs to do the decryption of received images and their description.