Vagotomy turbinates: what is it, laser and radiowave
What is vagotomy turbinates?
According to anatomical structure of the human mucous membranes of the nose contains plenty of blood vessels. They tend to narrow, expand, dependent on the exposure conditions (temperature, pressure, humidity).
Many people suffer from constant discomfort-stuffy nasal passages. It can be caused, for example, such diseases as vasomotor rhinitis. One type of treatment is vagotomy turbinates. Consider in more detail this procedure.
What is vagotomy turbinates and its types
Vasotomy is one of the types of operations on the turbinates of the nose, it is prescribed in case of ineffectiveness of drug treatment of rhinitis. Among doctors noting its effectiveness in the fight against the disease.
During the operation there is a noticeable reduction of the turbinates. In fact surgery is the process of dissecting blood vessels in the nasal mucosa in which there is a process of stagnation of blood. The operation takes in average from 5 to 15 minutes, is performed under local anesthesia.
This type of operation has several advantages, among which are:
- sterility of the procedure;
- low invasiveness;
- cauterization of the wound that helps stop postoperative bleeding.
However, this procedure is not allowed, there are a number of contraindications to its conduct:
- poor blood clotting;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- chronic disease;
- various infectious diseases;
- nervous and mental disorders;
- diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
Vasotomy submucosa of inferior turbinate is of several types:
- Destruction of the nasal septum.
- Conducting the freezing the affected area to its destruction.
- Radiowave vasotomy (destruction by heat).
- The cautery probe (into the nasal cavity to enter a special probe through which passes a constant current. It is due to it is burning. This method is considered one of legacy).
- The removal of some parts of the turbinates special laser probe.
- Laser vasotomy (at the moment the most effective method. Of the benefits can be called low invasiveness and rapid recovery after surgery).
- The displacement of the turbinate with its further rigid fixation.The type of operation determined by the attending physician individually for each patient, referring to the degree of his illness. Laser and radiowave vasotomy happens under video surveillance, these two types of surgical intervention are characterized by deep dissection of the affected areas and a high level of development of polyps.
When conducting any type of surgery, the patient must be fully obezbijede position.
When you use laser eye patient wear a special bandage. Can be felt as a light tingling.
Laser type of surgery is the most anemic because in the end, the vessels are soldered together.
According to the method is very effective, after adoption a small chance of developing adhesions.
Conducting radio operations longer than the rest, takes up to an hour. In some cases, this type of surgery used General anesthesia for complete immobilization of the patient. After this type of procedure, the postoperative period was heavier than after removal of the laser.
The operation itself performed on an outpatient basis, apply local anesthesia. To do this, first moisten a sterile cotton swabs in a solution of Lidocaine or Benzocaine, put it in each nostril. After a slight numbness a fine needle administered basic anaesthetic.
In some cases, to ensure immobility of the patient during surgery is used in fixation of the hands and feet.
The main stages of the operation
Before the operation the doctor definitely directs to a detailed ultrasound examination of the nose, passing a number of laboratory tests. It is very important to eliminate all diseases of the oral cavity.
Surgery on the turbinates of the nose is a special laser that is in absolutely sterile conditions. The patient is in a sitting position for auxiliary equipment the surgeon uses the endoscope.
After the operation the patient is still within half an hour observed by doctors, then it is sent to the rhinoscopy to determine the effectiveness of surgical intervention and to exclude complications from it.
If at the expiration of half an hour the patient is not observed bleeding from the nose, then let him go home. The patient is prescribed a mandatory nasal rinses twice a day to eliminate the formed crusts.
Learn about the treatment of rhinitis by means of laser.
List of the best drops with menthol.
And what happens if you swallow snot?
Possible complications and the postoperative period
After the operation, the patient may experience a number of consequences:
- The development of atrophy of the nasal mucosa (unlikely when carrying out laser azotemia).
- The inflammatory processes. There are very rare, as the operation is carried out in conditions of sterility.
- Loss of function of the nose. Observed in the postoperative period, is due to temporary swelling.
- A feeling of stuffiness in the nose. In rare cases, the operation can only aggravate the condition. The reason may be allergic or recurrent rhinitis.
- The occurrence of adhesions in the places of cuts. This process can occur in patients shortly after surgery. Resulting adhesions impede the breathing process. In this case, re-appointed surgery.
The safety of laser and radio-wave vasotomy still not fully understood.
The postoperative period lasts on average about 7 days. During the period of rehabilitation the patient should limit physical activity and thermal effect on the body (to prevent bleeding). For better wound healing prescribed inhalation drugs, which improve regenerative properties of tissues.
The effectiveness of this procedure is in the range of 95 %.
A month after surgical intervention the patient returns to normal nasal breathing.
Some types of the most simple vasotomy are free of charge, in regular public hospitals in strict order of priority, but there is an option transaction pay method.
This procedure is very costly.
Most people undergoing this surgery complain of feeling unwell in the first 24 hours. There are headaches, prevent cotton swabs in the nose. However, most of the feedback is positive. Many people permanently get rid of the problem of congestion and edema in the nose.
Below are the reviews of actual patients who underwent azotemia:
Natalia, 55 years: Many years are suffering from constant congestion in the nose, because of this very bad sleep at night. Treatment medicines only saves on time. Recently the doctor advised to conduct vasotomy. Very afraid of side effects. But after the procedure, though again I was born! Now I can freely breathe through the nose.
Olga, 63 years: he was Afraid to go to surgery because of age. But the doctor calmed, said that unintended consequences are minimal. The postoperative period was heavy, but again, I still blamed on his advanced age. For two years after surgery, and nasal congestion is gone.
Inga, 32 years: Suffer from chronic rhinitis for over 10 years. Always went with drops for nose in the bag. After another visit to Laura agreed to laser vasotomy. Since this procedure is paid at our hospital, I first paid all in cash. On the day of surgery was very worried.
I was seated in the chair, fixed the hands with bandages, treated with alcohol the face and neck. Then the doctor did the anesthesia and started the surgery. Because of the anesthesia there was no pain special laser, the doctor cauterized the desired area in the nose. The only downside was an unpleasant smell . The operation itself took about ten minutes, then I left for another half an hour and go home.
Prescribed nasal irrigation and drip drops. After the discharge of the anesthesia I felt a slight swelling of the nose. Now it’s been 10 days after surgery and I can breathe freely nose.
Summing up we can say that azotemia is a type of surgical intervention, which in 95% of cases it is very effective. In exceptional cases, there may be a difficult period of rehabilitation. Each of the patients, who are preparing for this surgery must understand that after the procedure the condition can worsen.
Do not panic when after the surgery in the first month you may feel a little stuffy nose. The main thing is a positive attitude and the execution of all instructions of the attending physician.