What is sinusitis and what happens during disease
Sinusitis — what it is: its types and treatment
The cold season, sudden changes in temperature and atmospheric pressure and as a consequence – increase in the number of colds. This picture is familiar to almost everyone when nasal congestion, sore throat and General malaise can knock the man out of his rhythm of life.
But what happens is that the treatment of the common cold has been delayed for quite a long time and besides a little that helps. It is already possible to speak about development of complications. Next, we will focus on what is sinusitis, what it is and how to recognize it.
Sinusitis – what is it
Sinusitis is an inflammatory process arising in the maxillary sinuses, which are the largest paranasal sinuses the paired nasal cavity. They are thicker in the upper jaw. Hence their second name – the maxillary sinus.
Help. Sinusitis – one of the varieties of sinusitis, which combine the inflammation of all the paranasal sinuses.
The disease almost always develops on the background of frequently recurring common cold or flu, especially in poor therapy or even lack thereof.
But whatever the reason, the mechanism of this pathology development is always the same. First, due to swelling of the mucous, the obstruction of the excretory openings of the maxillary sinuses in size from 1 to 3 mm.
The anatomical structure of the human body such that each of the cavities of the nose designed for collecting and removing mucus and blockage of the channels causes disturbed function of excreting mucus.
As a result, the secret accumulates in the cavities, forming an ideal environment for development of pathogenic organisms. Their active life leads to the formation of purulent masses.
Sinusitis, a disease which with the same frequency affects both adults and children, and the aggravation occurs during the period of increase in the number of colds.
Because of the development of sinusitis none of us is immune, it is necessary to know what is sinusitis and how to treat it.
Although the latter should pass into the hands of qualified professionals, and not try to self-medicate, as running form can pose a hazard to human health.
Types of sinusitis
Modern medicine klassificeret the disease according to several criteria based on the characteristics of the flow of pathological process.
So, on localization of process distinguish the following types of sinusitis:
As for the characteristics of the flow duration of the disease, we can note the following varieties:
- Acute – pathology takes place over 2-3 weeks.
- Chronic – lasts for several months.
- Recurrent – when this form is marked up to 4 cases of acute sinusitis per year, the duration of remission periods between repetitions for at least 2 months.
Depending on the inflammatory process sinusitis can also be defined as:
- exudative – rich education and secretions and purulent masses;
- productive – a long course of such a process is complicated by the formation and growth of polyps or thickening of the mucous membrane;
- atrophic chronic form of the disease leads to atrophy of the mucosa;
- necrotic – aggressive course of the disease causes necrosis of the mucous membranes of the sinuses.
From disease depends what therapeutic methods will be used by the physician for its removal.
The reasons for the development of pathology
The nature of the origin of a disease of the nose, as the sinusitis can be very diverse. In General, the causes of occurrence of such pathological States is the following:
- The incorrect therapy of acute respiratory disease, SARS, flu.
- Diseases of a chronic nature (tonsillitis, laryngitis, rhinitis, adenoids, etc.).
- Specific infectious diseases (scarlet fever, rubella, measles, etc.).
- Allergic reactions that lead to excessive production of mucus and edema of the mucosa of the nasal cavity and sinuses.
- A deviation from the norm in the structure of the nasal bones (congenital or acquired as a result of injury) because of what breath by a nose is difficult.
- Weakened protective function of the body.
Provoke the development of sinusitis nasal staphylococci, which become active in case of failures in the functioning of the immune system.
Often the inflammation in the sinuses caused by viral, bacterial and fungal types of disease-causing organisms.
Help. The bottom wall of the maxillary sinus is very thin and this feature of the structure provides the possibility for the development of inflammation due to dental illnesses or incorrect procedures by the dentist.
In the paranasal sinus pathogenic flora penetrates through either the nasal passages or blood flow. The latter is most often seen in children.
Symptoms of sinusitis
Sinusitis is a disease of the nose, the symptoms of which is not limited to the local manifestation.
The first symptoms of this pathological condition are:
- the increase in body temperature;
- deterioration of sense of smell;
- nasal congestion.
The above symptoms coincide with catarrhal symptoms. But then quickly emerges of a clinical picture, characteristic of inflammation of the sinuses. These signs will help you identify what is sinusitis and its symptoms manifestations:
- A feeling of fullness in the sinuses.
- The cheek swells.
- Pain extending to the teeth and forehead area.
- When the inclination of the head there is a feeling of heaviness in the sinuses.
- When pressed, pain is felt, which gives the eye area.
- Swelling of the eyelids, painful sensitivity to light, eye pain.
- The secreted mucus is thick white or yellow-green.
With regard to chronic forms of pathology, it is not typical so pronounced symptoms. The priorities are the following symptoms:
- sustainable stuffy nose;
- swelling of the eyelids in the morning;
- the allocation of a thick yellow or green;
- the appearance of conjunctivitis.
In addition, the characteristic feature of the chronic forms of the disease dry cough at night, with no any inflammation of the respiratory system.
Help. This cough is caused by the fact that the pus flows out of the sinuses into the nasopharynx, and it is not amenable to conventional cough medicines.
Sinusitis – inflammation of paranasal sinus, in which in most cases is the accumulation of purulent masses. This pathological condition is quite serious, given the close location to the brain.
So if you observed the first symptoms of this disease should immediately consult a doctor. The only way to completely eliminate the inflammatory process, to avoid possible dangerous complications and to prevent the transfer of disease into a chronic or recurrent form.