What is the common cold: why do I get this disease or not
Why do I get runny nose and what is it?
What is runny? Nasal discharge is a symptom of many diseases developing in the result of inflammatory processes of the mucous nasal membranes. According to the medical terminology this disease has a name rhinitis. Doctors in the lexicon use the term «inflammation of the nose.»
The reason for such manifestations is often a viral or microbial infection that enters the upper respiratory tract. In addition, edema of mucous and snot can appear in the result of the development of allergies.
How is snot formed?
The causes of rhinitis may be different, but the nature of the manifestations is always the same: there is inflammation of the mucosa, accompanied by edema. Types of rhinitis are allocated depending on the causal factor, acting as a provocateur of these manifestations. An important role is played by features of the anatomical structure of the olfactory organ. Consider how in the nasal cavity formed a runny nose.
The nose is bandwidth segment, which is provided by the normal breathing process. The nasal cavity performs a protective role of the entire respiratory system, preventing dust and other substances. Passing through the nasal passages the air is partially cleaned from dust particles and other substances.
In the nose is the warming of the air and it is moisturizing. Due to the fact that nasal mucosa is equipped with multiple blood vessels and capillaries that circulates in her blood, the air passing through the nose warms faster.
The fact of the presence of vascular network affects the process of development of rhinitis.
When the number of entrants into the nasal cavity of bacteria or allergens increases, the body responds natural immune response with increased secretion. Dead harmful microorganisms are mixed with mucus, forming excess amount allocated out. The increasing generation of secret also increase the tone of blood vessels.
Causes of runny nose
The causes of snot, you can highlight the main:
- Colds. The vast majority of cases, the appearance of snot is caused by the presence of diseases in which a runny nose is one of its characteristics. To such illnesses include: respiratory or adenovirus infection, measles, influenza and other respiratory diseases.
- Allergy often manifests itself in the form of a cold, the emergence of which is caused by the effect of any stimulus. Nasal mucous sheath is exposed to numerous external factors, including dust, pollen, Cottonwood fluff, household chemicals, pet dander, and other irritants.
- Tears can cause the common cold, because their constituents when injected into the nasal cavity contribute to the enlargement of mucin — the major component of the composition of mucus.
- Hypothermia, overheating of the body, nervous stress often become a cause of nasal discharge due to the fact that the human immune system can no longer cope with their functions. In the result of infectious agents entering the body, get a favorable environment for reproduction and quickly spread, capturing the nasopharyngeal region and the respiratory tract.
- Hot meal and some kinds of food leads to increased blood flow in the nasal mucosa, which causes increased production of mucus.
Congenital causes of chronic rhinitis are:
- deformation of the facial bone tissue;
- broken form the nasal septum;
- the development of hypertrophic processes in the nasal cavity.
Most often, such defects are observed on the one hand, when the nostril subjected to deformation, ceases to function, while the other air flows freely.
To the question «the common Cold is a self-affliction?» the answer is: in some cases, when the disease is manifested as rhinitis, Yes. However, it is worth noting that this happens very rarely.
Infectious rhinitis is one of most common types of rhinitis that occur in the acute form. The disease is characterized by lesions of the upper respiratory ways system.
In addition to mucus and swelling of the nose during infectious rhinitis there are other signs:
- burning in the nose;
- nasal congestion;
- temperature rise;
- the twang in the voice;
- constant feeling of fatigue.
The emergence of infectious rhinitis is caused by hit in the sinuses bacterial, viral or fungal infection. Due to reproduction of microbes and their distribution, the nasal mucosa is damaged, wherein the upper epithelial layer may deviate. That is why curing the disease is best at the initial stage.
If the immune system is weakened, the cold with proper treatment quickly disappears and does not cause complications.
The main symptoms of allergic rhinitis is nasal congestion and an increase in secretory secretions. A runny nose can appear at any time of the year, including winter.
The most common allergens are:
- pet hair;
- feathers, ornamental birds;
- loose particles remaining from insects;
- book dust;
- home chemistry;
- the paint fumes.
Mechanism of allergic rhinitis differs from infectious. The disease occurs on the background of allergic reactions. The fall allergens in the nasal cavity with pathogenic microorganisms. Areas of accumulation of active inflammation.
Symptoms of allergic rhinitis are:
- redness of the eyeballs;
- violation of nasal breathing.
Allergic rhinitis is a form of vasomotor rhinitis.
Medicamental rhinitis is developed as a result of influence of drugs. A runny nose can appear as a side effect when taking the means from the pressure, and as the result of prolonged use of vasoconstrictor nasal drops.
For this reason, drugs that have a vasoconstrictor effect cannot be used for too long. The timing of their application must be such as specified in the instructions.
Development of chronic rhinitis in children often occurs as a result of overgrowth of the adenoids. Tonsils subjected to hypertrophic changes, you may close the hole and block the nasal passages.
As a result, the air ceases to circulate normally and nasal breathing is disturbed. At growth of the tonsils occurs spread of pathogenic infection, which provokes inflammation nasopharyngeal tissues.
Why do I get runny nose without fever?
Runny nose without fever indicates the development of a rhinovirus infection. The reason for these manifestations is most likely to get hypothermia.
With regard to the main symptoms, it is expressed in the manifestation of the following signs:
- nasal congestion;
- the increase in secretory discharge and mucus;
- obstruction of nasal breathing;
- decrease in hearing;
- sore throat, worse when swallowing.
Runny nose without fever is most frequently observed in people with good immunity, as infection control of the hypothalamus, which is the location of the centers of thermoregulation, the process is not involved.
The doctor, in whatever form it may manifest is a serious symptom that must be treated. Now that you know what happens from cold, to beat him is not difficult.
At the moment there are a lot of drops, sprays and medicated ointments, have vasoconstrictor and anti-inflammatory effects, helping to relieve the inflammation, swelling and to restore nasal breathing.