Why are clicks in the ear when swallowing: causes and what to do
What to do if ear clicking and / or ticking?
Because the senses for humans is one of the richest gifts of nature, it is understandable concern in the event of any, even the slightest deviations. Especially many troubled ears, rather they encountered a strange phenomenon in the form of click, noise, whistling, pain, pressure, etc.
Next, let’s talk more details about why the clicks in the ear when swallowing or at rest, what it may indicate and what to do in such cases.
Clicks and ticks in the ear: the causes
Unpleasant clicking and a kind of ticking does not appear just like that, everything must have an objective explanation.
Help. Often the occurrence of similar sensations people blamed on age-related changes or hereditary predisposition.
However, this approach is not entirely correct, such phenomena do not in themselves constitute a disease but only a symptom of a possible pathological process. That is a consequence, then there is the factor that triggers the occurrence of this condition.
The causes of claps in your ear, the crunching and the clicking can be attributed to the following diseases:
- otitis media — different forms of the inflammatory process in the organ of hearing (external, middle, inner) are the most common causes of ticks in the ear. When inflammation of the system hearing the clicks bother often enough, and regardless of the condition of the patient: at rest or during physical activity;
- colds and infectious diseases (rhinitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, acute respiratory infections, ARI) – with such pathologies and accumulated mucus flowing down the throat, can cause swelling of the nasopharynx and the Eustachian tube, which leads to disruption of the functioning of pressure equalization in the middle ear, so a variety of unpleasant sensations, including the ticking in the ear cavity;
- cerumen impaction – excessive accumulation of sulfur mass can cause clicks during yawning, swallowing, and other movements of the lower jaw;
- malocclusion — when this condition is uneven muscle muscles when swallowing and chewing, because the load on it increases significantly due to improper position of the teeth;
- ■ dislocation of the lower jaw – stretched ligaments and persistent inflammation of the joint capsule leads to deformation of the articular head of the mandible and improper interdigitation;
- arthritis and osteoarthritis – when these abnormalities is the gradual destruction of the articular cartilage and joints. Diseases occur almost equally, and we are seeing the same symptoms: pain from the affected side, difficulty to open the mouth and popping sounds in the ears;
- cervical osteochondrosis occurs by displacement of the blood vessels, resulting in the person experiencing the ticking in the ears, dizziness, insomnia, nausea, fog before eyes.
Additional factors why ear ticks include stress, allergic reactions, physical stress, loss of auditory nerve.
Help. Some medications can have a negative impact on the auditory system, causing different pathological reactions.
Such feelings can cause not only disease, but the physiological functions of the organism.
If clicks in the ear is quite rare, and completely painless, it may indicate such processes:
- Muscle loss in the middle ear – occasionally there is a spontaneous muscle contraction (stremennaya and getting dressed) for no reason in the middle ear cavity. Many describe this feeling as clicks on the membrane in the ear. And all because when muscles contract, they sharply push air directly to the eardrum, and is perceived as a dull click. While the pain and unease of the person does not feel. In this situation the alarm.
- Spasms of the throat – clicks during swallowing thus caused by the strong contractions of the muscle tissue in the throat.
- The specificity of the structure of the TMJ – mobile articular disc is located in the joint, a structural feature which can create extraneous noise in the ears.
Predominantly, the physiological factors of occurrence of this phenomenon does not require treatment and do not cause any problems. However, if these sounds annoying or disturbing, repeated regularly, it is still best to seek help from a specialist.
Clicks in the ear – what to do? In order to solve this problem, first of all, you should cure the main illness, which became a direct factor in unpleasant sensations.
Help. To establish the true cause and prescribe competent treatment only by a qualified technician. To determine this is difficult because of the lack of specific knowledge and skills.
On the basis of examination and number of examinations the doctor can determine the treatment strategy, which can be quite variable.
Otitis media and cerumen impaction – competent region of the otolaryngologist. And if otitis media requires complex therapy with the use of systemic and topical medications (antibiotics, ear drops, nasal vasoconstrictor drops, vitamins, anti-inflammatory), cerumen is eliminated fairly quickly, after which required special attention of the patient to the execution of hygienic procedures.
With colds and infectious diseases ticking in the ears is a secondary symptom, which disappears after convalescence. In such cases, depending on the type of illness, are assigned to the various medical schemes and means to stimulate the immune forces of the body.
Abnormal occlusion and abnormalities in the functioning of the jaw joints need to visit the dentist, sticking to your diet and regularly to perform the oral hygiene.
When spazmirovannah muscles of the pharynx, specialists prescribe drugs to relax the muscle tissue (muscle relaxants). In difficult situations or the lack of result of the performed surgical intervention.
If the cause of the tick and crackle in my ears became a stressful situation, allergic or unusual reactions to drugs, the doctor may prescribe sedatives, antihistamines, and anticonvulsant drugs.
As we can see, the ailments that trigger clicks in my ears is not so terrible, perfectly treatable and do not cause negative health effects. It is just time to make a visit to the doctor and carefully follow all his instructions.