Why you should breathe through the nose and not through mouth
Why you must breathe through your nose?
Have you ever wondered why you should breathe through the nose and not through your mouth, if person two types of respiration? The air flows into the nose, exempt from dust and pathogens, which reduces the likelihood of developing colds.
In the mouth there is no barrier to germs, so cold and contaminated air is delivered directly to the bronchi, causing inflammation.
The purpose of the nose
The nose, being the first part of the respiratory system is important in the relationship of the organism with the outside world.
Normal nasal cavity performs several functions:
- Respiratory. Provides the transport of oxygen from the environment into tissue structure, and carbon dioxide back. The amount of movement of the gases determines the intensity of oxidative processes, the violation of which is dangerous to the thyroid dysfunction, the cardiovascular system, hypoxia, lung damage.
- Protective. The air mass in the nose undergoes significant changes: the Department Predgorny prevents the penetration of coarse dust, and the moving villi epithelial tissue glue and disinfect small agents who evacuate from the projection of the sinuses in the phase of the oscillations of the cilia. The impact of adverse exogenous or endogenous factors occurring protective reflex reactions such as watery eyes, coughing, sneezing.
- Moisturizing. The saturation of the air with additional moisture allows evaporation of the nutrient medium of cell elements, parts of the nasal fluid, tears. To maintain optimal performance every day, the body uses up to 500 ml. of moisture. When inflammation of the lining coefficient increased to 2000 ml.
- Expansion. Warm air masses is due to the continuous process of blood circulation, passing currents of air through the winding passages, on the surface which are located cavernous of the body, producing heat.
- Resonator. The nasal cavity in combination with the paranasal sinuses involved in the production of individual color of voice. Because of violations of the patency of the nasal passages develops closed twang, the sounds of the conversation were deaf. Option open rhinolalia (nasal) precedes the pathological openness of the initial division of the respiratory system.
Important! Prolonged difficulty in nasal breathing in a child is dangerous to the underdevelopment of the facial skeleton of the skull, the occlusion (malocclusion), reduced mental abilities, health.
In addition, the inner nasal cavity is rich in olfactory receptors, which are responsible for perception of taste sensations. The sense of smell warns of the presence in the atmosphere of poisonous substances, which is extremely important for the employees of the food and chemical industry.
How not to speak in the nose can be found here.
The benefits of nasal breathing
Correct breathing ensures the functioning and growth of cells, improves the General condition, reduces the susceptibility of the organism against pathogenic microorganisms. To maintain the functional performance of the bronchi in normal allows filtration, humidification and heat treatment of air masses passing through the nose, which is impossible when breathing through the mouth.
With the air which enters the oral cavity, penetrate foreign organisms, provoking irritation. In response to the actions of foreign agents increases the amount secreted by goblet cells, decreased activity of mucociliary clearance, mucus bad is evacuated to the outside.
Accumulation of phlegm creates favorable conditions for growth and reproduction of bacterial and viral infections that might lead to a cold.
To reduce the likelihood of ENT pathologies should breathe through the nose. The basic principle of nasal breathing – not to SuperCool the respiratory path, which is impossible when passing the air stream through the oral cavity.
If the air temperature in the cold season close to zero, then in the nasal cavity the air warms up to 25⁰, and when breathing through the mouth to 20⁰С.
Tip! To prevent podstugivaniya of the upper respiratory tract with nasal breathing, you must create a barrier to the penetration of cold air is to squeeze the tip of the tongue to the palate. Air mass lingering in your mouth, heat up to optimal performance.
Especially dangerous mouth breathing in children. Bad habit increases the frequency of inflammation in the glands of lymphoid tissue (adenoids), provokes hypertrophy of the tonsils, insufficient thyroid function.
In violation of the drainage of the sinuses, mouth partially performs the functions of the nose, providing oxygen to the tissues. At the first sign of deterioration of nasal breathing is necessary to carry out therapeutic activities, especially when we are talking about infants.
Because of their physiological characteristics they are unable to breathe through the mouth, which is dangerous serious consequences, including death.