Xylitol in pregnancy: instructions for use, consequences
Is it possible during pregnancy drip «Xylitol»?
When pregnancy is minimized taking drugs, but the likelihood of inflammation in the body increases due to the decrease in the immune system.
Moreover, a woman’s body suffers a significant rebuilding of the hormones, thereby can develop not only colds cold, but the pregnant rhinitis, or vasomotor (allergic). To ease the common cold can drug «Xylitol». Is it possible during pregnancy drip «Xylitol» will describe in detail in this article.
Pharmacodynamics of the drug
Medical product is available in three variants – in the form of liquid dosage forms for oral administration, spray and gel. Concentrated solution available in the indices is 0.1% or 0.05% of the total weight of the preparation.
Among the distinctive features of the drug restores normal breathing, which is about 8-12 hours.
The main active ingredient «Xylene» is a substance of the group of adrenergic stimulants Xylometazoline chloride, which has a strong vasoconstrictor effect on the blood vessels of the nasal mucosa and reduces swelling and thereby relieves nasal congestion and mucus produced by the glandular structures of the nasal cavity.
Among the auxiliary components, not bearing significant role in the treatment of the disease are:
- daytrivia salt;
- benzalkonium chloride;
- phosphate sodium;
- potassium salt of orthophosphoric acid;
- sodium chloride;
- aqua purificata.
According to the instructions, the active ingredient acts locally on the mucosa, thereby normalizing the patency of the nasal passages due to the vasoconstrictor, decongestant effect. «Xylitol» is a medical product of local action, which eliminates a set of processes that transfers the current component in the blood and lymph.
Indications and contraindications to the use of «Xylene»
Positive dynamics of treatment when using this drug is observed in diseases such as:
- acute rhinitis caused by respiratory infections;
- rhinitis or inflammation of the sinuses, caused by an allergic reaction of the body;
- infectious inflammation of the middle ear cavity (otitis media).
How and what to treat otitis media, find out here.
There is a group of patients who need to abandon the use of «Xylene»:
- with hypersensitivity of the organism to components of the drug;
- high blood pressure (140/90 mm. station and more);
- when violations of heart rhythm, manifested by increased heart rate;
- in a group of diseases characterized by elevated IOP (intraocular pressure).
Prohibited therapy using this tool, children under the age of six and after surgery.
Important! Self-medication is fraught with unintended consequences, so start treatment only necessary as directed by a healthcare professional.
«Xylitol» how to use in pregnancy
Despite the fact that the active constituents of the drug does not cross the placenta and are not a direct danger to the fetus, doctors prescribe «Xylitol» in pregnancy in cases when the threat to the life of the mother outweighs the potential risk to the child.
The fact that this medicinal product can affect the blood pressure of the mother and change the tone of the vessels of the placenta, i.e., indirectly affect the fetus.
On the other hand, late treatment of rhinitis of different nature manifestations, is threatened with oxygen starvation of the child, so the purpose of «Xylene» is possible after careful consideration of the gestational period and the individual characteristics of the expectant mother.
If to consider the appointment of the drug in more detail, starting from the trimester, we can conclude that:
- In the first trimester it is better to refrain from using «Xylene» as a fairly high risk for the development of the embryo. Although laboratory studies do not confirm the danger of the drug, for its own self recommended medications based on sea water.
- The second trimester involves the prescription after prescription. In practice, assigned to the «Xylitol» for children. During pregnancy the dosage may be adjusted by a specialist.
- The third trimester, which is characterized by full maturation of the child suggests the «Xylenol» in the absence of contraindications.
The recommended dose for expectant mother, according to the instructions and release forms of the drug:
- drops – no more than two drops in each nasal passage three times a day;
- spray – one spray, 3 times per day;
- gel – marginal rate equals four, the laying of the drug in each outer hole of the nose. The latest daily manipulation must be done before going to sleep.
The duration of use of the drug should not exceed more than five days.
Regardless of the the strict prescription, dosing accuracy and the absence of contraindications, the drug can cause side effects.
In practice, these phenomena occur rarely during therapy with medication «Xylitol». During pregnancy effects can be expressed:
- dryness of the sinuses;
- a burning sensation in the nasal mucosa;
- sleep disorders;
- painful sensation of vomiting;
- palpitations, hypertension, tachycardia;
Typically, the side effects may be caused by excessive doses of the drug. If you strictly follow the recommendations of a physician, it is possible to eliminate the appearance of undesirable consequences.
In order not to provoke a syndrome of tolerance to the medical product (addictive), do not exceed recommended duration of use «Xylene».
Important! In the case of side effects should stop using the drug and contact the doctor for adjustment of therapy.
Summarizing, we can say that at early stage of pregnancy it is better to give preference to drugs that do not cause doubts neither the mother, nor of the attending specialist. As «Xylitol» can have indirect effects on the fetus, despite the absence of the prohibition the manufacturer, for use in the waiting period of the child.