Aflatoxin: what is it, how it affects the body

Aflatoxin: what is it

Aflatoxin is the strongest poisons that set fungi. If not properly stored the products of their appearance very natural. They are dangerous for an adult and child and can cause lethal outcome. Disease you need time to recognize since it develops very quickly, affecting the liver. The task of each person is to monitor the quality of purchased products and their expiration date.

What foods contain the poisons of the fungus

Mold fungus of the kind Aspergillus flavus secretes a group of toxic substances contained in food products at their wrong storage. In some cases, they pose a threat to life. The most common aflatoxin B1. In addition, it possesses carcinogenic properties.

This fungus belongs to the mycotoxins – the poisons of fungi. Yellow mold is especially dangerous, it is a source of aflatoxins. She was discovered in peanut flour 40 years ago. Mycotoxins are poisons produced not by accident, they kill other microorganisms. The ability of quick penetration into the product, most often lack of taste and smell helps the fungus to beat their «competitors».

Know 4 types of aflatoxins: B1, B2, G1, G2 and their metabolites. The fungus that provides them, it grows well in warm and humid environment. Substance found in animal products or poultry, if the animals ate the grain affected by the fungus. Their body gets a different variation of the aflatoxin M1.

Not always known whether they kept the products that we buy in the stores and on the market, so when you buy, we are at some risk. The most dangerous foods that may be contaminated with fungus include:

  • dried fruits;
  • juices (fungi multiply on the packaging);
  • dairy products;
  • nuts and spices;
  • crops;
  • eggs and meat.

This is not a complete list, but most often the fungus resides in peanut grains. Even roasted peanuts to be dangerous. Produced from low quality raw materials bread also contains fungus. Tea and coffee, which ended shelf life, dangerous to use.

Many wonder how to kill fungus on the products. Unfortunately, heat treatment won’t work on him (even at +200). Safe dosage of this compound is 0, 6 mcg. Disease aflatoxins occurs when 1 kg of body weight have 2 micrograms of toxic substances. So you should eat expired or suspicious foods is not necessary.

Effect on the body

It is clear that aflatoxins ingested with food by targeting their actions the liver is the filter that cleanses the blood of poisons. They work as follows:

  1. Inhibit protein synthesis at the cellular level.
  2. Poisons kill liver cells which are replaced by fatty tissue.
  3. The liver is not performing its role in the right amount.

If the body came with aflatoxin B1, it affected primarily the liver with possible cancer, because the cells there are mutations or cirrhosis when liver cells are destroyed and it stops working. Heart, kidneys, spleen will also take the hit. The effect of these fungi is very versatile:

  • hepatotoxic (liver damage);
  • mutagenic (changes in cell structure);
  • immunodepressantnoe (weakened immunity);
  • teratogenic (effects on fetal development).

The lethal dose is 75 mg/kg the poison death comes two days later because of liver failure. Since the compound is highly toxic, can be fatal.

If the poisoning is not severe, the effect of the poison of the fungus the following:

  • it destroys the metabolism of vitamin D, making the bone fragile;
  • inhibits the absorption of fats;
  • alters mineral metabolism;
  • weakens the immune system;
  • slows down the process of development of a child.

Aflatoxin is a poison that disturbs the normal functioning of the body. Its detection is possible only by using laboratory equipment. Remove it from food is impossible. In small quantities the person consumes a toxic substance constantly, because this is a very common connection. But a small concentration of no effect so detrimental, and the body is able to cope with it.

How to recognize poisoning

To address toxicity, you need to know its symptoms. And they appear after a short period of time. After half an hour you notice the following signs:

  • indifference to weakness;
  • reduction of appetite;
  • pain in the liver area;
  • headaches;
  • nausea and vomiting;
  • failures in the intestines;
  • problems with coordination of movement;
  • cramps;
  • swelling;
  • sometimes you can see bruising on the skin.

Bleeding caused by a violation of the formation of proteins that trigger blood clotting. Changing the process of metabolism. Worse produced by immune body, the body has not been cleared of toxic substances. If aflatoxin enters the body systematically, possible bone fractures due to osteoporosis, weight loss, delay of development of a child.

If the products are nursing mother got this fungus poisons enter the baby with mother’s milk. Even in the event of a mild impact for 17-20 days the baby develops cirrhosis of the liver.

Since the activity of the organ processing the toxins that are broken, there are signs characteristic of acute poisoning. If a person is ill with hepatitis b or C, the risk of cancer is very high, the possibility of its development increases several times.

In the case of acute poisoning in children, their condition may be irreversible. The disease progresses rapidly: vomiting, convulsions and coma. 80% of children poisoning death. Aflatoxicosis is a disease which requires immediate medical intervention.

The condition worsens quickly, as the affected liver and the nervous system. The disease occurs around 2 weeks in mild poisoning or moderate. Much faster, it occurs in severe form.

First aid

What to do if you ate an expired product, which was a toxic mold? The poisoning is attributed to food. Therefore, you must first call the ambulance, and then to take the following actions:

  • To wash out the stomach with large volumes of clean water.
  • To remove toxins, a patient has to take sorbents.
  • For getting rid of the poison well help saline enema.
  • With vomiting and diarrhea to drink liquid to avoid dehydration.
  • To provide rest.

The treatment is done in hospital under supervision of medical workers. The patient is on treatment until full recovery.

If you notice on the product the presence of mold, fully clean it will not work. Disputes have certainly got inside. No need to rinse, boil or bake the product. First, it loses its valuable qualities, and secondly, the fungi of this does not die. Therefore it is safer to throw it.

How to avoid poisoning

To prevent the disease, if the use of good personal hygiene and take care of your health. You need to be vigilant and to carefully inspect the products before you buy:

  • Consider dried fruit or nuts that you want to buy. If they have scars or plaque mold, it is not worth buying.
  • Do not buy products which is over the expiration date.
  • It is not necessary to buy cereals in large quantities. If storage conditions do not meet the standards, then they may appear mildew.
  • Do not buy products from unknown manufacturers (e.g., markets).
    Matters appearance and smell.

To reduce the carcinogenic effect of the poison, you need to eat celery, parsley and carrots. These herbs and vegetables are beneficial in any case because they are rich in vitamins and trace elements. So often add them to dishes.

It is important to monitor child nutrition: disease takes them very seriously:

  • Carefully check the expiration date of a children’s product that is listed on the jar.
  • First you can try baby food yourself, you will appreciate the taste and smell.
  • Product packaging of children’s food should be dry and clean.
  • It is advisable not to store the remaining portion in the clear, get.

By following these rules, you protect your child from the terrible disease, to cure which in children is quite difficult.

Among the fungal diseases (mycotoxins), aflatoxins are the most dangerous. They quickly affect the liver, causing illness and other organs. In addition, the disease develops quickly. So do not delay, and at the first sign of poisoning, call an ambulance. And best of all, if you carefully monitor not only cooking, but also for those products that you use.

READ  How to get rid of vertigo in poisoning