Antibiotics diarrhea in adults and children
What antibiotics can be taken if diarrhea
Periodically every person is faced with such unpleasant problem as diarrhea. This condition exhausts the person mentally and physically, distracting from the important things and literally chained to the toilet. To quickly get rid of diarrhea people have resorted to various folk remedies, adsorbents, antidiarrheal drugs, and even antibiotics. Need to know exactly what antibiotics diarrhea in adults and children can be used without harm to health.
When the diarrhea is antibiotic necessary
When diarrhea is caused by stale food or a stressful situation, the reception of antibiotics is absolutely not appropriate. Prolonged loose stools you need to contact the hospital where the internist or infectious disease will prescribe a series of studies and identify the causes of this condition. Antibiotics diarrhea in adults and children are granted only in the case if diarrhea is triggered by a bacterial infection. There are only a few diseases that require antimicrobial therapy:
- Dysentery – causes this disease Shigella. The pathogen is transmitted through dirty hands and through poorly washed vegetable products. Pathogenic microorganisms produce toxins that poison the whole body.
- Salmonellosis is an intestinal infection that is very hard. The causative agent of this disease Salmonella. The transmission of the disease is mostly household or food by. Disease possible failure to comply with hygiene and technology of cooking.
- Typhoid – the disease is caused by pathogenic microorganisms, which affects the linings of the intestines.
- E. coli – the disease begins acutely in the penetration of the pathogen. Strains of a similar organism is always a certain amount present in the human digestive tract, but if there is a failure in the body, they are too many.
If diarrhea lasts more than two days, you need to contact the nearest hospital and to pass the required tests. It is worth remembering that intestinal infection spread quickly in the home, so you need to observe all members of the family.
Some people start to take antibiotics at the first urination in the toilet. This is not necessary, as you can harm your health.
When you need to think about antibiotics
There are a number of dangerous symptoms that occur with diarrhea. These symptoms should alert the person and make you think about the feasibility of antibacterial drugs. These include the following States:
- The stool is very rare, smelly and foamy.
- In Calais there is a lot of mucus.
- Stool greenish with mucus.
- In liquid stool is present the admixture of fresh or digested blood.
But do not forget that blood in the stool is not always a sign of intestinal infection. This condition can occur at hemorrhoids, ulcers, Crohn’s disease, and cancer. So, before you start taking any antibiotic, you need to be screened so as not to aggravate the situation and not lose precious time.
It is impossible to accept the first available antibiotic diarrhea, the drug is chosen after the results of the bacterial analysis.
What drugs are prescribed for diarrhea
To self-medicate is not worth it, even if effective antibiotic diarrhea advised a friend or neighbor. This is a very strong drugs, which absolutely is not characterized by a selective action. They destroy all microorganisms that exist in the digestive tract, there are also useful. Because of this, so often, patients diagnosed with goiter.
For the treatment of diarrhea prescribe several effective agents whose effectiveness is proven:
- Chloramphenicol – is still considered the most effective drug in case of diarrhea. It has a broad spectrum of action and successfully fights with many pathogenic microbes. If the doctor has not prescribed other treatment, take 1 tablet 3 times a day, the course is not less than 5 days.
- Metronidazole is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that has detrimental effect on several gram-negative and gram positive bacteria. Take 1 tablet 2 times a day, treatment course can be up to 4 days.
- Ciprofloxacin powerful antibiotic that acts on bacteria of the gastrointestinal tract and genitourinary areas. Usually prescribed 1 tablet 3 times a day. The treatment lasts not less than 5 days.
- Amoxicillin is a strong antibiotic, which has a devastating effect on a number of intestinal infections. The drug is prescribed in dose 1 tablet 2 times a day. The course of treatment is usually 5 days.
All signs of the disease disappear completely for a couple of days, but this is not to stop drinking medication. The course of treatment must not be interrupted, so how can there be a relapse of the disease.
To prevent dysbiosis in conjunction with antibiotics take probiotics. The most popular drug in this group is considered to be Linex.
What antibiotics for diarrhea prescribed to children
Antibiotic diarrhea for children is assigned only when the results of tests identified the bacteria which caused the disease. In pediatric practice antibiotics recommended for infections of severe and moderate severity.
For the treatment of children can be prescribed these drugs:
- Furazolidone is an effective drug in the treatment of salmonellosis. The dose is adjusted individually based on weight and age of the child. The course of treatment is 10 days.
- Chloramphenicol is prescribed for the treatment of various intestinal infections. Children from 3 to 8 years prescribed 125 mg 3 times a day, children over 8 years: 250 mg. the treatment lasts up to 10 days;
- Doxycycline – is assigned only 8 years. Dosage is calculated individually and is 2-4 mg per 1 kg of body weight;
- Ampicillin is prescribed for botulism 12-15 mg per 1 kg of body weight. The course is not less than 5 days;
- Interix – appointed with dysentery, 1-2 tablets 2 times a day, the course is 10 days.
Very often antibiotics in children cause nausea and retching. In this case, the medicine give an hour after a meal.
The time interval between doses of antibiotics should be approximately the same. This will help to constantly maintain a therapeutic dose in the blood.
When antibiotics are not needed
Doctors are unanimous in the opinion that antibiotics are not always necessary in case of diarrhea. So, if you have diarrhea that is triggered by viruses that make drugs in this group is not necessary, because the viruses they affect, and beneficial microflora in the gut destroy. This can be frequent digestive disorders.
Absolutely not required, and antibiotics for food poisoning. Here it is important to quickly excrete toxic substances, and for this purpose, suitable adsorbents. Thus, the conventional activated carbon will be beneficial to the organism than the same chloramphenicol.
Diarrhea quickly leads to dehydration, therefore, when this condition is important to properly maintain your drinking regime. Among antibiotics, the patient should take the sorbents and probiotics, in this case, the disease quickly retreat.