Antibiotics for intestinal infections in adults and children
Features of the use of antibiotics for intestinal infection
Infectious intestinal diseases occur under the influence penetrated into the body of various pathogens: pathogenic microorganisms, protozoa, and other enteroviruses. From infection no one is immune: even keeping the cleanliness, you can catch bacteria by airborne droplets or by household. After the diagnosis, use of antibiotics in case of intestinal infection in adults which will help to eliminate the inflammatory process and prevent the replication of the virus.
What is the intestinal infection
Moreover, in the gastrointestinal system, the bacteria begin to proliferate, release toxic substances and poisons, poisoning the internal system. Some species of microorganisms, penetrating into the blood, causing a little discomfort, manifestations which are characteristic of food poisoning. In these cases, prescribe the standard drugs. Other pathogens can cause severe diseases that are treated only with antibiotic medications that destroy the livelihoods of pathogenic microbes.
Common symptoms of the pathology are:
- a sudden increase in temperature, accompanied by febrile syndrome;
- frequent urge to vomit, after which the patient is relieved;
- loose stools with mucous and blood streaks;
- pain in lower abdomen, increasing after eating;
- the appearance of the tongue coating;
- decreased performance, lethargy, tendency to depression;
- impaired coordination.
In addition, some patients may experience increased salivation, conjunctivitis, diseases of ENT-organs.
Indications for use of antibiotics
Gastric antibiotics have both natural and synthetic origin, they are able to suppress the multiplication of microorganisms and protozoa. Currently, there are many medications, some of which are effective in the case of established diagnosis. These tools include a wide range of applications.
In what diseases prescribe antibiotic medicines are:
- Staph. Often the source of infection are people suffering from sore throat and tonsillitis. In addition, infection can occur during eating of meat products, milk, fish when they are improperly cooking or storing. The main symptoms be diarrhea, abdominal tenderness, fever, nausea.
- Dysentery. The pathogen is transmitted through dirty hands, food and water. You can become infected also if you swim in dirty waters.
- Salmonella. The main source of infection is the use of eggs, milk, meat products, and human interaction with media.
- Cholera is a disease accompanied by intense waves of nausea, watery diarrhea and rapid fluid loss.
- E. coli is characterized by a feverish syndrome, dehydration and other symptoms of intoxication and inflammation in the intestine. The bacteria enter the body with feces of other people, home and by water.
Intestinal antibiotics are prescribed the following pathological conditions:
- for severe course of infectious diseases;
- if you have diarrhea more than 10 times a day;
- under intense intoxication syndrome, which is not able to eliminate sorbent means of other ways, for example, lavage, enema and reception of the dehydration solutions;
- the appearance of blood and mucosal secretions in the faeces;
- when the diagnosis of salmonellosis, dysentery, cholera, E. coli and others.
Antibiotics for the stomach and intestines are always assigned to adults and children in the presence of:
- cancer tumors.
Independently to enlist the help of antibiotics should not be. The effect of these drugs aimed at the destruction of a particular pathogen. To identify the cause of the infection and determine the disease, you can use the methods of laboratory diagnostics. Treatment is assigned on an individual scheme in the course of therapy depends on the severity of the pathology, age and other patient characteristics.
Contraindications and adverse effects
Intestinal antibiotics fluoroquinolones not be used by kids less than 2 years, but if the case is severe, the choice is made in favor of sparing drugs of the modern generation.
With caution is prescribed Antibacterials in their Teens, as they can negatively affect muscle and bone system.
Medicines erythromycinbuy group do not use during pregnancy and lactation, and patients with liver disease and pathology of urinary system.
There are no antimicrobial agents that do not provoke side effects. The most frequent adverse effects are allergic reactions. Also medications can have negative effects on the liver and blood condition. That is why a particular antibiotic against enteric infections should appoint a specialist.
Common side effects of antibiotic therapy are:
- disorder of the blood, blood clots, anemia, leukopenia;
- failure of brain functioning, numbness, muscle spasms, disorientation, drowsiness, weakness of the muscular system, epilepsy;
- the disruption of the digestive tract, lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, pain symptoms in the liver;
- the difficulty of respiration, decrease auditory and visual abilities, dizziness, loss of coordination;
- shortness of urination, presence of blood in urine veins and protein.
- the appearance of hypotension, allergic reactions as skin rash and itching, the appearance of heat.
Despite the large list of contraindications and adverse effects, antimicrobial treatment, it is advisable in case of serious infectious pathologies, however, their independent destination is not valid.
Popular antibacterial drugs
Usually antibiotics for intestinal infections drink later, some time after the detection of pathology, and in the absence of the favorable dynamics of the disease. However, in the presence of certain diseases, such as dysentery, cholera and others, to take medicine immediately after the first signs.
Most often doctors assigned to the following groups of drugs:
Schema therapy and the required dose is selected by the attending physician.
The next most commonly used antibacterial drugs against enteric infections:
- Chloramphenicol. Medication broad spectrum use, effective in various pathogens, the Vibrio cholera year. Often recommended if other medication showed no results, is contraindicated in children.
- Tetracycline in the intestinal infection is used if the cause of diarrhea are amoebas, Salmonella, Vibrio cholerae, as well as serious diseases: plague, psittacosis, anthrax and others. Tablets effectively eliminate the diarrhea, however, can disrupt intestinal flora and cause dysbiosis.
- Rifaximin is low in toxicity, is used by adults and children. Detrimental effect on pathogenic microflora, prevents appearance of complications during infections of the intestine.
- Ampicillin – semi-synthetic substance belonging to the penicillin group, used by children and during pregnancy. Successfully eliminates many pathogens.
- Ciprofloxacin belongs to the fluoroquinolones, are effective against many pathogenic bacteria, does not cause dysbiosis.
- Azithromycin for intestinal infection is able to suppress the growth of microorganisms in an average 3 days. Currently, macrolides are considered the safest group of drugs, in rare cases, cause severe side effects.
- Amoxicillin is prescribed for infectious diseases of various organs, including the digestive tract. Allowed in pregnancy. Amoxicillin is also used in cases of poisoning.
These drugs, harmful harmful bacteria, is prescribed as an adjunctive treatment. Such medicines do not destroy healthy microflora do not affect beneficial bacteria. Particularly effective medicines showed against bacteria localized in the colon. Medications can stop the growth of staphylococci, yeast, dysentery, Proteus, typhoid.
The list of effective antibiotics to the intestine include:
- Furazolidone is the drug that eliminates Trichomonas, Giardia, successfully treat symptoms of dysentery, typhoid fever, without causing addiction. Has fewer contraindications than other means.
- One of the modern popular drugs is ercefuryl belonging to the nitrofurans. Able to suppress Salmonella, cholera. Active only in the intestine, does not dissolve in the blood stream and has a minimum of adverse effects. However, the drug may not eliminate a serious bacterial infection.
- Intetrix, kills many bacteria and Giardia. Not able to destroy the micro flora has no particular negative consequences. Often used to prevent infectious diseases in travels and journeys.
- Ftalazol – safe cure that eliminates a variety of gastrointestinal disorders, is not able to dissolve in the blood.
- Biseptol – combination drug bactericidal action. Used in the treatment of dysentery, salmonellosis and other infectious diseases.
Antibiotics for children
The main manifestation of intestinal infections in children is diarrhea, which can cause about 40 agents. Some diseases are viral in nature and resistant to antibacterial drugs.
Self-medication in children dangerous negative effects. To assign a medication needs a specialist.
If the child’s condition moderate, recommended antibiotics for the intestinal infection in children in solid dosage form. The most popular are:
- Zefix is an antibacterial drug, is a component of of cefixime trihydrate. Eliminates various pathogenic bacteria and is often used by pediatricians.
- Azithromycin tablets macrolides. Other names – Sumamed, hemomitsin.
- Amoxicillin is the drug penicillin. Produced in powder for the manufacture of a suspension.
- Augmentin is a broad spectrum tool application. Powder is contraindicated in babies under 3 months.
- Ceftriaxone is the cephalosporin of the 3rd generation, used in the form of injections. Contraindicated to newborns with low weight and jaundice.
- Enterofuril – a remedy for infectious diseases, appointed from 1 month of life.
Most often the drugs are produced in the form of a slurry, which is used for 5 days. In addition to basic therapy, the kid needs to drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. In some cases, hospitalization of the child, for example, if seizures or severe loss of fluids. In hospital apply drip and intravenous fluids.
Intestinal antibiotic for children prescribed as a last resort and, where possible, substitute a more gentle means.
At occurrence of first signs of the disease some patients immediately begin to use antimicrobials are not going to the doctor and not passing the necessary examinations. Most often such actions detrimental impact on the microflora of the intestine, aggravate the course of the disease, and also harm health, especially in children and the elderly.
Antibiotics for intestinal infection should not appoint themselves. If correctly to pick up means, the pathogen can to adapt to it, which will lead to a decrease in therapeutic effect.
The dose and duration of therapy is determined by a specialist. You should not discontinue the treatment even if improvement.
It is also recommended to observe the following rules:
- not to carry out antibiotic therapy to prevent;
- stick to the required doses and time intervals between the use of tablets;
- for normalization of microflora in conjunction with medication to consume probiotics: Hylak Forte, lactulose, Linex and others;
- in the presence of any chronic diseases and contraindications need to tell this to your doctor;
- in the treatment of children course of pills should drink to the end, not decreasing and not increasing the dose and duration of therapy. It is preferable to syrups or suspensions, not injections;
- it is impossible to resort to the additional use of fever-reducing medications: medications can reduce the therapeutic effect of each other and the clinical picture.
Intestinal antibiotics often have a negative effect on the liver, kidneys and circulatory system. Therefore, uncontrolled use of antibacterial drugs is not acceptable.
Frequent use of antimicrobial drugs leads to the acquisition of resistance bacteria. In these cases, therapy can become not only useless, but is a threat to health.
Increased diarrhoea is often dehydration, so an additional measure is the recommendation to drink plenty of fluids – at least 2.5 liters per day. With mild dehydration you need to drink a special solution of regidron, humana. In the case of significant fluid loss treatment performed on an outpatient basis using intravenous solutions.
After completion of therapy it is necessary to use enzymes for the normalization of the gastrointestinal tract.
Acute infectious disease usually heavily carried by the person. In order not to hurt the body, the antibiotic therapy must be carried out under the supervision of a physician by following his recommendations.