Can activated charcoal for breastfeeding and lactation
The use of activated carbon in the lactation period
Activated charcoal is a medicinal drug that is able to help with many types of toxicity by adsorbing toxins from the digestive tract. Activated charcoal while breastfeeding is a means of first aid for acute care nursing for women without causing any harm to the baby. This is due to the fact that the drug has the properties to penetrate into the blood and does not flow in the produced milk during the period of lactation.
The basic quality activated carbon good adsorption of toxins from the digestive organs, followed by a soft release of harmful substances and pathogenic microbes from the body naturally.
Activated carbon removes food toxins in case of poisoning foods, chemical toxins in chemical poisoning, allergens in medical poisoning, and bloating removes gases from the intestines.
Can we take activated charcoal for a breast-feeding woman
In the instructions of drugs, indications for use, attention is drawn to the limitation of a drug when feeding babies milk. Activated charcoal is not an exception.
The majority of drugs into the bloodstream, and hence into the milk, which will necessarily have an impact on a young child through breastfeeding.
Activated carbon in HS does not come into milk because it has properties to penetrate into the blood. Therefore, the activated carbon during lactation is one of the few medicines allowed to write the mother feeding the baby. But we must remember that this remedy has contraindications and side effects.
Indications for use
Activated carbon is used as a universal remedy for various diseases. In addition, it is used in bacterial and viral diseases that are accompanied by a severe intoxication of the organism.
Coal will help mothers in the lactation period, if the health will arise such a trouble:
- bloating and flatulence;
- the poisoning of various nature;
- disorders of function of stomach (dyspepsia), which are accompanied by discomfort (pain);
- infection of the intestine;
- allergic diseases.
If there are newborn rash allergic origin, and he is breastfed, a nursing mom immediately prescribe activated charcoal is recommended to stick to the diet.
If the cause of the rash is an Allergy to food, such therapy will help, as the diet of mothers will be removed allergic food product, coal tablets will only accelerate this process.
Lactating women, especially when the first child is born, always think that the rash on the body of a baby was the result of poor nutrition moms. However, allergies can be contact – detergents, clothes and items. Then activated charcoal and recommended diet will not help remove the allergic rash, so in the appointment of treatment is necessary to determine the cause of allergic diseases.
Activated carbon have also to reduce weight and cleanse the body. You need to remember that while pathogenic substances the drug adsorbs and useful minerals. In order not to harm the health, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules of taking the pills during lactation.
How to make the adsorbent during lactation
Taking the adsorbent in the lactation period, women must adhere to the following rules:
- To drink activated charcoal should be immediately after breastfeeding.
- Taking activated charcoal to feed the baby more in a few hours.
- Taking a large dose of adsorbent, breast milk should be pumping between feedings to maintain lactation.
- In lactation period dosage of the drug should not be more than 10 tablets of 0.25 grams per day, despite the weight of the patient.
- Tablets are first ground to a fine powder, then poured drinking water at room temperature. To 0.5 liters of water to grind into a powder 20-30 grams means.
- Make the adsorbent preferably parallel with fermented milk products.
Before each meal is prepared fresh medicinal drink, the slurry was thoroughly stirred.
The recommended dose of activated charcoal depends on the severity of the disease and symptoms. Flatulence take 1 tablet per 30 kg of weight, and in severe cases – 0.25 grams per 10 kg of patient weight. But in any case the total daily dose should not be more than 10 tablets, the treatment of breastfeeding mothers should not last more than two weeks. In acute poisoning infectious disease physicians is recommended to stop breast-feeding for a period of time until the toxins are fully removed from the body.
Activated carbon can not be discharged in such diseases and conditions:
- gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer;
- bleeding in the digestive tract;
- at simultaneous reception of other sorbents.
Activated charcoal is very hygroscopic, so it connects everything that is in the gastrointestinal tract. Medicines, which a man took, along with charcoal tablets, will be neutralized.
Side effects and overdose
The use of coal in lactating women may be accompanied by side effects:
- Adsorbing from the body mom all the harmful toxins, the charcoal will neutralize simultaneously and nutrients that are necessary for a breast-feeding woman. The drug prevents the full perception of proteins and fats, ultimately it provokes hormonal disorders.
- The acceptance of the tool can cause bowel disorders.
- When taking this drug to nursing mothers they often arise constipation detrimental to the baby. Rare and incomplete emptying of the bowel mother entails the concentration of potential allergens that negatively act then the baby.
- Masses of feces are colored in dark and sometimes black.
In addition, long-term use of pills in excess of two weeks, reduces blood pressure and provokes a lack of protein, fat, vitamins, calcium and other nutrients.
Overdose activated charcoal is obtained when used in high dose. If overdose is long, it may lead to serious consequences for the health of lactating mothers, as a result, will require the intervention of doctors.
Overdose this tool is of two types – acute and chronic. When applying the nursing mother a large number of tablets at one time, an acute form of overdose. This poisoning is possible when the appointment and administration of activated charcoal is not weight mother’s, and eyes. Chronic form of overdose is possible, when the mother daily, for several weeks taking the drug.
Chronic form of overdose, characteristic and full of people who in this way try to lose weight during the passage of a lengthy course of weight loss.
What to take instead of activated carbon
When activated carbon has not led to the expected result, a nursing mother must go to the doctor. He will prescribe more effective drugs or substitutes of activated carbon with high absorbent properties. The analogs are these drugs:
In Lactofiltrum, in addition to adsorbing substances, there is a probiotic that normalizes the stomach and intestines.
What else can help a nursing mother for poisoning
To reduce the toxicity of the body, the woman urgently wash out the stomach a large volume of water with addition of salt or potassium permanganate. The patient gives to drink to liters of solution, then press down on the tongue with your fingers and cause vomiting. Gastric lavage is necessary in several stages until the waste water after vomiting will not be clean.
In addition, it is recommended that a colonic that will help flush the toxic substances that were around the digestive tract. In order to wash the intestines, you need to prepare up to two liters of pure water at a temperature of 30-35 degrees. You can also use a decoction of chamomile. After the introduction of water is required to detain her in the gut for 5 minutes. At this time, you can massage the belly to avoid the pain in the stomach.
Food poisoning usually leads to dehydration of the mother. To prevent dehydration, you must drink plenty of fluids. Ordinary boiled water or beverages made at home:
- Rich black tea, this drink will improve the condition of the stomach and relieve inflammation from the mucous.
- A decoction of calendula with the addition of chamomile will help minimize the irritation of the gastric mucosa.
- The mint has a mild sedative property that quickly relieves nausea and vomiting.
- A decoction of dried apricots, raisins and rose quickly relieves inflammation of the digestive organs.
The more you give drinking lactating woman, the sooner cleared her system. But we must remember that it is not recommended to unsolder a nursing mother after the poisoning sodas and concentrated juices.
Activated charcoal is a good helper to assist in case of poisoning. This medicine is in almost any home medicine Cabinet. It can be used to treat nursing mothers, as it is not released into the bloodstream and milk, and hence, absolutely safe for the baby. To start taking the drug only after consultation with your doctor.