Diarrhea and vomiting adult: causes, first aid, treatment
Diarrhoea and vomiting – causes and treatment
Diarrhea and vomiting can be symptoms of many diseases. To define yourself, what was the cause of this condition is difficult. For an accurate diagnosis you need to see a doctor and have some tests. You need to remember that the delay in treatment in danger of dehydration, which is especially dangerous for young children. Vomiting and diarrhea in an adult give fewer complications, but this condition is very exhausting physically and mentally. Family should know what help can be given to man, not to hurt.
Most often, when you have diarrhea and nausea, people talk about indigestion. But this is not true, the reasons for this ill health can be:
- pathogens, fungal and parasitic diseases;
- poisoning with poor-quality food;
- the use of fatty foods, and alcohol or certain medicines;
- strong overeating or excessive alcohol consumption;
- stressful situations and high anxiety.
If the cause of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness was viral gastroenteritis, then the person could easily infect others. The patient becomes a carrier when the first symptoms of the disease and is considered to be contagious about 3 days after recovery. In this regard, it is necessary to limit the circle of friends of the sick person to avoid spread of infection.
The way of transmission
Infection acute intestinal infections, in which there is diarrhoea and vomiting at the same time, is such ways:
- By contact with contaminated objects, after which the person takes dirty hands in the mouth.
- The consumption of food or drink that is infected by the pathogen.
- In direct contact with the sick person, as well as use the same utensils or other household items.
Often people panic at the first symptoms of the disease and don’t know what to do. It is not necessary to panic, you need to provide first aid to the patient.
In addition to diarrhea and vomiting, a person may have additional symptoms that indicate intoxication. These include:
- cutting pain in the abdomen;
- persistent nausea;
- can be bloating, which is complemented by belching rotten eggs;
- a small increase in body temperature.
Sometimes abdominal pain in an adult or child can cause suspected appendicitis. Before you start first aid, the need to eliminate this dangerous disease. To do this is to ask the patient to pull the right leg bent at the knee to your chest. If during this movement the abdominal pain increases, then it is cause for immediate call an ambulance.
Severe vomiting and diarrhea without fever can occur when excessive nervous tension. In this case, man enough to drink a Cup of strong tea with mint.
How to help with vomiting and diarrhea
If there is liquid foul-smelling stools accompanied by nausea, undertake a number of activities, observing strict sequence:
- Repeated vomiting is not recommended to eat up to 12 hours, ideally fasting can last up to a day. At this time, you can only drink. For otpevanie take pure water, fruit drinks, green tea or medicinal decoctions. Allowed to dissolve slices of fruit ice. Drink give small portions every 20 minutes.
- If vomiting and diarrhea has arisen because of defective products – the stomach is washed. Adults and children older than 3 years, this procedure can be done at home. Kids under the age of three, the stomach washed only in a hospital.
- After the vomiting stopped, the patient has a feeling of hunger. To quench his can of ripe banana, baked Apple, crackers with tea. If light food does not provoke new attacks of vomiting, you can gradually move on to the usual food, avoiding oily and heavy food.
When vomiting occurs soon after taking a prescription drug, it is necessary to drink again at the same dosage. If a woman vomited after taking hormonal tablets, then the remainder of the month it is advisable to protect themselves in other ways.
When a person is concerned only diarrhea, without nausea and vomiting, you can take smectite or activated carbon. Usually these medicines is enough to normalize the state of health in a few hours. Diarrhea water can help strong congee with raisins. Two tablespoons of rice and one scoop of raisins for half an hour simmering on low heat, then strain and drink every half hour.
Treatment of young children must engage a qualified pediatrician or infectious disease. Weight babies are quite small, therefore, quickly comes dehydration. Only a doctor will be able to assess risks and, if necessary, to place the child in the hospital.
Diet diarrhea and vomiting helps to quickly restore the body. The diet included natural foods with a high content of vitamins. Food taken in small portions, but very often up to 6-7 times a day. The diet should last about 2 weeks, usually during this time, the gastrointestinal tract time to recover almost completely.
In the rehabilitation period after vomiting and diarrhea can be used the following products:
- Lean meats and broths for the second.
- Boiled lean fish.
- Boiled eggs.
- Vegetables, steamed or boiled.
- App cookies or crackers.
- Apples and bananas.
- Low fat milk and cottage cheese.
- Cereals – cereals, puddings, casseroles.
It is not recommended to eat sausage products, smoked products, pickles, marinades and dishes that are richly flavored with spices. Is strictly prohibited the use of alcoholic beverages and even beer.
When acute symptoms subside, you can gradually eat honey. In this natural product contains many nutrients that have a beneficial effect on the weakened body.
How to quickly get rid of diarrhea and vomiting
If you want to quickly recover from diarrhea and vomiting, it is possible to use pharmaceutical preparations. Of antiemetics reglan is most often used, although it can be replaced by metoklopramidom, it is the same active substance, but it costs much cheaper. This drug is available in injectable solution and tablets. If vomiting is not very pronounced, it is possible to take pills. Retching usually subside after half an hour of ingestion and its effect lasts up to 6 hours. Before treatment you should consult with your doctor, he will be able to calculate the correct dosage.
If a person is only concerned about diarrhea and no other symptoms, you can take Imodium, smectite or activated carbon. All of these drugs in a short time get rid of bloating and frequent trips to the toilet and relieve inflammation of the intestines. Take these medications according to the instructions or dosage which is recommended by the doctor. Should not increase the prescribed dose in the hope of accelerating the recovery. This can lead to overdose and deterioration of health.
No need to stop the diarrhea and vomiting after the first urge. Thanks to such unpleasant processes the body is cleansed of harmful substances and pathological organisms. Quick acceptance of antiemetic drugs is impractical, as the recovery drags on.
Folk remedy for diarrhea and vomiting
Some people are wary of pharmaceutical drugs and prefer herbs. In this case, you need to know what can be treated. In order to relieve nausea and retching, you can give the patient a tea with mint or lemon balm, which adds a lemon slice. This drink is a good tonic, relieves inflammation of the stomach and intestines, and reduces muscle tension. To give this drink can patients of all age groups, a little, but not very often.
From diarrhea can help herb yarrow. This herb possesses disinfectant and bactericidal action. A decoction of the plant material very quickly stop diarrhea and return the person to normal. Children such broth drink with great reluctance, as it is very bitter. Adults give two tablespoonfuls every half-hour to children from three years old can be given a teaspoon.
When you need to urgently call the doctor
Urgently call the doctor or go to a medical facility is needed in such cases:
- Diarrhea and vomiting last more than a day.
- Except for diarrhea, nausea, high fever and severe abdominal pain.
- Diarrhea lasts more than 3 days, while not tending to improvement.
- Had all the symptoms of dehydration – weakness, dryness of mucous membranes, cyanosis of the skin and rare urination.
- In the stool there are specks of blood in the stool or have black, tar-like appearance.
- Abdominal pain decreases after vomiting or going to the toilet.
- People are ill with insulin dependent diabetes and develops diarrhea and vomiting.
- Sick vomit-can’t take my meds, which to him is vital.
Urgently address to the doctor is necessary and in that case, if the diarrhea and vomiting began immediately after returning from trips to exotic countries. It is to become infected with something specific.
Diarrhea and vomiting can not only impair the General health, but also to disrupt all the plans. To quickly get rid of these unpleasant symptoms, you need to follow the diet, plenty to drink and if necessary, take medications.