Diarrhea, vomiting and fever in a child: causes, treatment
Why the child may be vomiting, diarrhea and fever
Diarrhea, vomiting and fever in a child is the symptoms of food poisoning. But there are still diseases that are characterized by such signs, they can be complemented with other unpleasant effects – dryness of mucous membranes, General weakness, convulsions and other neurological disorders. A small child at this time is severely disturbed General condition. When failure to provide timely care can be complications, sometimes irreversible. Adults must know what assistance you can provide your child with pathological conditions.
The main causes of the disease
Reasons may be vomiting, diarrhea and fever few, these include:
- Toxins – chemicals, drugs and poisonous plants. Small children, because of their natural lyubopitnost, climb everywhere and everyone is trying to taste, because of this happen severe poisoning. When this intoxication obligatory symptom is the presence of a strong diarrhea. The temperature can be 38 degrees and above;
- Bacteria penetrate the child’s body bacteria starts nausea and vomiting, after a short time the diarrhea occurs. The condition is completely broken, no appetite, he becomes very weak. Digestive tract ceases to function properly, have stagnation. Gradually the bacilli disintegrate and release into the bloodstream decay products, which are intoxicating. Such diseases should be treated under medical supervision to avoid complications;
- Illness and infection of other organs and systems. These diseases do not in all cases cause diarrhea, temperature can also be slightly above 37 degrees, but nausea and vomiting are almost always there. Such diseases include appendicitis, acetonemia, bowel obstruction, meningitis and pneumonia.
The right approach with all of these symptoms would be to call your pediatrician. But if the temperature is not critical, and the vomiting ceased completely after a few hours, then you can do without calling in a doctor, but it is acceptable only if child is over 7 years and there are no other alarming symptoms.
Not recommended to grow in the home poisonous plants, and also store various chemicals. All medications must be stored in a special box with lock and key, especially if you have younger children.
Almost all kids who are under 2 years old, suffer from rotavirus infection. It is a common name for a number of infectious diseases that affects the intestines of the child and is a violation of the functions of all the digestive organs. If the child has a high fever vomiting and diarrhea accompanied by a cough, runny nose, watery eyes, sore throat and weakness, it is possible to suspect rotavirus infection. Although at first this disease is often confused with SARS, influenza, measles, strep throat or scarlet fever.
You need to remember that the difference in rotavirus from other diseases that persistent nausea appears already from the first hours of the disease, and then fever up to 39 degrees. Diarrhea usually starts late, sometimes 2-3 a day.
If the child has vomiting, diarrhea and fever, it is often caused by intestinal pathogen. Before starting treatment take a number of tests to pinpoint the causative agent and to prescribe effective drugs. Don’t worry too much, if the kid got an intestinal infection. The fact that all children at least once in their life suffer this nasty disease. Especially hard to bear this infection in children under one year who have low body weight and weak immune system.
When there can be diarrhea, vomiting and high fever in a child
The appearance of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and fever in a child can be in some cases that are completely unrelated to disease. These include:
- Strong nervous shock, which is associated with a change in the habitual way of life. This happens very often in the period of adaptation to kindergarten.
- High temperature different diseases can cause nausea and vomiting. It works as a protective mechanism of the body.
- Fever and retching can occur teething babies. Most often this occurs when a weakened immunity.
It is important to quickly establish the cause for this malaise. If the parents are unable to find an explanation for this phenomenon, we need to go to the hospital for further diagnosis and treatment.
If after vomiting and diarrhea the child has a high fever, we can talk about dehydration. The main symptoms of dehydration are:
- pallor and dryness of skin and mucous;
- abnormal drowsiness;
- violation of urination, urination in the toilet no more than 4 hours. The amount of off-urine very scanty;
- increases in heart rate and lowering blood pressure.
If medical care is not delivered in time, possible convulsions and fainting. In severe cases, dehydration can lead to death.
If the little kid lasts a few hours vomiting and diarrhea, you are likely dehydrated. At the first threatening symptoms should call the doctor and deliver the baby to the hospital on their own.
What support is available to assist the child
Some parents are lost and do not know what to do as soon as the baby starts vomiting. Do not panic, you need as quickly as possible to try to alleviate the baby’s condition. You can help:
- After each attack of vomiting to give the baby to drink a lot, but only fractional portions. You can give the drinking water, sweet tea or a drink with honey and lemon.
- Give the adsorbents are in the house.
- An hour after the adsorbents give probiotics to normalize the microflora of the digestive organs.
- Child conveniently placed on the side and provide complete rest.
- If you develop a fever over 38.5 degrees, give a tablet of paracetamol or ibuprofen. To use medicines in syrup is not necessary, since there are flavors and preservatives.
It is strictly forbidden to leave the baby even for a few minutes. He would need to observe constantly and at the slightest deterioration of the doctor-on-call.
When indicated, call an ambulance
In mild course of the disease, it is possible to do on their own. But there are some situations when a doctor should be immediate. With each minute of delay can cost lives.
- High temperature, dizziness and vomiting have developed as a result of a head injury. If the child fell or got hit hard.
- All the signs are very active, between retching and trips to the toilet almost no breaks.
- The child categorically refuses any offer of drink.
- The diarrhea is very strong, there was mucus and blood streaks.
- The kid has a noticeable weakness in the muscles, arms and legs are like cotton. The child is difficult to move.
- Urination is no more than 4 hours.
- There are signs of dehydration such as retraction of the Fontanelle and dry mucous membranes.
Parents know behaviors your child if, in addition to the above symptoms, they are guarded with something else, then you need to immediately contact a medical facility. Only skilled physicians can correctly identify the cause of illness and prescribe adequate treatment.
What are the signs talking about the recovery of the baby
That condition is almost stabilized, saying such symptoms are:
- the child begins to beg to drink and after drinking he didn’t have repeated attacks of vomiting;
- the time interval between urination in the toilet is constantly increasing;
- vomiting was rare, or even subsided;
- body temperature is fully normalized or decreased to tolerable levels.
When the acute phase of the disease subsides, the child becomes cheerful and active, he gradually appears appetite. The duration of the recovery process depends on the immune system of the child and the severity of the disease.
Most often, complete recovery occurs within a few days, but 1-2 weeks you need to follow the diet to the digestive system is completely restored its functions.
The recovery period
After the disease, which was accompanied by disruption of the digestive system, the child is very weak. It is necessary to provide gentle treatment with moderate exercise and restful sleep. Well, if the kid at least a few days to sleep and during the day power will be restored much faster.
In the rehabilitation period must be arranged well-balanced diet. The diet includes natural and vitamin products. Food steamed, boiled or baked with a small amount of fat. In the early days of the recommended porridge-gruel buckwheat, oatmeal or rice, which is complemented by the lean meat. For dessert, you can offer bananas or baked apples with honey. Contribute to the restoration of the gastric mucosa of various jellies, they can give the baby a few times a day.
At least a week after the illness should refrain from fatty and fried foods and smoked meat and spices. Raw vegetables and fruits are consumed in minimal quantity to prevent fermentation. The first 3-4 days it is not recommended to give the child a fresh pastry and pasta. Legumes in the diet also should not be.
When properly organized mode recovery occurs in a short time, without any consequences. If vomiting, diarrhea and fever were caused by rotavirus, it is necessary to observe preventive measures to avoid re-infection. It is enough to wash your hands often and plant products, and to buy food in designated areas only and follow the expiration date.